Meterologist vs Weathercaster/Forecaster

brianpr3

What is the difference between those 2 because personally for me i noticed that with a Meteorologist i can seem to take them more seriously especially those who are certified and have seals of approval. Those who are not a meteorologist with degrees those people i can not take seriously cause their forecasts seem diluted in their quality, but Sam Champion was the exception he knew what he was talking about and actually studied the weather minus being a Meteorologist.

It depends I guess...a meteorologist is someone who has a degree in atmospheric science/meteorology. The AMS/NWA seal of approval is really just a confirmation of sorts that they know what they're talking about. If you're someone who has an earth sciences degree or something like that, yeah, it's going to be a little harder, in my opinion, to trust what they have to say since they weren't explicitly educated in the inner workings of the atmosphere. That doesn't mean they can't be good at forecasting, however.

It may also just be a station preference for how it's weather folk are identified.

I see but Lonnie Quinn is not a degreed Meteorologist he has an FAA certificate (how is that possible) and also the worst news station in my market Fort Myers WFTX now they have 2 full time Meteorologist's ( one is degreed from what mississippi state) 1 is a fill in and 1 is just a forecaster with a broadcasting degree

What is the difference between those 2 because personally for me i noticed that with a Meteorologist i can seem to take them more seriously especially those who are certified and have seals of approval. Those who are not a meteorologist with degrees those people i can not take seriously cause their forecasts seem diluted in their quality, but Sam Champion was the exception he knew what he was talking about and actually studied the weather minus being a Meteorologist.

I'm studying weather right now and this is certainly true. I know Lonnie Quinn was mentioned above, some of the things he says make me laugh out loud with how inaccurate his facts sometimes are (I believe when he first started at WCBS he said that the National Hurricane Center issued tornado warnings, and that when hail is included with a storm a big banner pops up on the screen. Take a look at what he said from a 2007 weathercast when he was first hired from a Daily News article: "This is really useful information," Quinn said at one point as he tracked a storm heading toward Long Island. "Right now, we don't see any hail within this system. But if we did see hail, you'd see a big banner on screen telling you, hey, you still got time to get out to pull the car in the garage, get some cover on that sort of thing."

Lee Goldberg, Craig Allen, Joe Cioffi and Nick Gregory are the ones I'd trust the most in the NY market (they have the seal of approval and come across as the most knowledgeable). But yeah, most "weathercasters" that don't have the seal of approval are just reading off a prompter and get told info. from their producer (who is likely a meteorologist). I think that's what happens.

Also an FAA degree is achieved when learning about meteorology in relation to air travel (I know many mets who are also pilots and hold this like Nick Gregory). People who hold an AMS seal of approval have already completed their general meteorology degree. Then there's also a CBM, and it gets kinda confusing. Here's an article that kind of explains everything

https://www.ametsoc.org/amscert/

Worth noting you can still be a degreed meteorologist with out a seal of approval. I believe the AMS seal requires that a person pass an examination, a review of on air work, continuing education and paying a licensing fee.

Marty Bass at WJZ is not included in the stations weather promos (or the weather forecaster photo in the Baltimore Sun). He may not have the formal training (he studied broadcasting) that the others have but he has decades of experience. But a few years ago there was an early morning tornado and he knew his stuff. Bob Turk is the main forecaster at WJZ but his degrees are in geology and is an associate member of the AMS and he knows his stuff. Long story short they may not have degrees but they have decades of experience and know their stuff.

Here in Youngstown... you'll sometimes see reporters doing the weather reports. When WFMJ first launched its weekend AM shows (Oct. 2013) there was not even a weather presenter, just the anchors reading the forecast off the prompter, and a pre-recoreded package from the chief meteorologist.

I find that western markets, especially west of the Continental Divide, are less inclined to strictly look for meteorologists to do local weather. That may be due to the relative lack of severe weather there and the fact those markets are far from most of the big weather schools. In the Southern US, they tend to be most strict in hiring meteorologists (even in smaller markets).

• 2 years later...
I'm studying weather right now and this is certainly true. I know Lonnie Quinn was mentioned above, some of the things he says make me laugh out loud with how inaccurate his facts sometimes are (I believe when he first started at WCBS he said that the National Hurricane Center issued tornado warnings, and that when hail is included with a storm a big banner pops up on the screen. Take a look at what he said from a 2007 weathercast when he was first hired from a Daily News article: "This is really useful information," Quinn said at one point as he tracked a storm heading toward Long Island. "Right now, we don't see any hail within this system. But if we did see hail, you'd see a big banner on screen telling you, hey, you still got time to get out to pull the car in the garage, get some cover on that sort of thing."

Lee Goldberg, Craig Allen, Joe Cioffi and Nick Gregory are the ones I'd trust the most in the NY market (they have the seal of approval and come across as the most knowledgeable). But yeah, most "weathercasters" that don't have the seal of approval are just reading off a prompter and get told info. from their producer (who is likely a meteorologist). I think that's what happens.

Also an FAA degree is achieved when learning about meteorology in relation to air travel (I know many mets who are also pilots and hold this like Nick Gregory). People who hold an AMS seal of approval have already completed their general meteorology degree. Then there's also a CBM, and it gets kinda confusing. Here's an article that kind of explains everything

https://www.ametsoc.org/amscert/

I know this is an old thread but I thought it was funny. I found this thread/site by Googling for the differences between a weatherman and a meteorologist. I knew the latter was more skilled but wanted to be more sure.

The reason I was looking? Because this promo Channel 2 CBS in New York was running today where Lonnie Quinn attempts to explain the tides and fails miserably. I guess he has a history of making inaccurate statements, maybe it's his thing.

Archived