Canada launches new emergency alert system

skbl17

On March 31, 2015, Canada fully launched its new comprehensive alert system. The system, dubbed Alert Ready in popular parlance (the National Public Alert System in official use), is operated by Pelmorex Media, the owners of The Weather Network, and most broadcasters, subscription television companies, and VOD services have been mandated to participate by the CRTC. The bones for the system have been in place since 2010, but it is only now that the alert system has become mandatory. Much like the Emergency Alert System used in the United States, not all warnings, advisories, and alerts will be automatically disseminated by television and radio stations, only "broadcast immediate" alerts will require interruption of programming, beginning with a tone that sounds like this.

Now, some companies (Bell, MTS, and Shaw are the biggest ones) have been granted an additional three to six months to comply, despite verbal criticism and reluctance on the part of the CRTC. The offending companies were ordered to write letters to affected customers and file biweekly reports with the CRTC on their progress.

This is not the first time Canada has had a comprehensive alert system; Alberta has its own system that's been in place since 1987.

(On a side note, I still think that Japan has the best

.)

That's the tone that's currently used for the Alberta Emergency Alert system:

Nice to see a mandatory national alert system FINALLY be implemented in the country. While Alberta has had the AEA, and before that the Emergency Public Warning System (EPWS), it was voluntary. Thankfully, almost all TV and radio stations in Alberta participate in the AEA system.

Yeah, isn't it supposed to attract you in like the EAS? This scares me away instead.

I don't know many people who are "attracted" to the EAS tone. Both this and the EAS tones are annoying. That's what they're supposed to do.

• 4 weeks later...

A test of Canada emergency alert system with annoucement in French as heard on a local CBC's French radio (the test interrupts regular programming just as in the USA):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFMvY3S4pms

Compared to the EAS, that looks very visually pleasing. Thank god the Canadian media got something right. America needs to take notes.

----

A series of tests was also conducted in across Canada yesterday. Unfortunately I've missed one for my area however I'm certain it looked like the video posted above;/

Compared to the EAS, that looks very visually pleasing. Thank god the Canadian media got something right. America needs to take notes.

----

A series of tests was also conducted in across Canada yesterday. Unfortunately I've missed one for my area however I'm certain it looked like the video posted above;/

That was an audio recording of what the emergency broadcast sounded like over radio. The red slide shown in the video was created by whomever uploaded the audio to YouTube.

Videos are up. The centre of the test is from Manitoba, though Alberta is the first province to activate the system for a real threat. Let's begin.

How the test is put on air for BC radio stations province wide:

[yt]9X42epdPTWs[/yt]

Video of two Manitoba TV stations plus one radio station participating in their province wide test (without the tones):

[yt]4TzPtCEcXdQ[/yt]

Here's another perspective of the province wide test in Manitoba with a radio station airing the tones:

[yt]0p9gm-vkb9Q[/yt]

And here's what the test would look like for cable viewers in Manitoba.

[yt]4spgEaDoDAw[/yt]

In Toronto, cable and OTA stations participated in the test simultaneously, with the ticker displayed first followed by the ticker made by the cable box itself.

[yt]ZuUPV_DTTac[/yt]

And finally, in Alberta, here's the Alert Ready system activated for a real threat the first time.

[yt]YzGLXp2Iu7c[/yt]

• 1 month later...

EVENT TYPE IS TORNADO.

Here's a look at the first activation of the Alert Ready system in the Toronto area, back on June 10. I like how CITY-DT immediately switches to a live camera shot outside the City studios. Kudos to TVNT user Dubtronic for the video.

• 8 months later...
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/matt-gurney-we-need-a-better-robot-voice-for-amber-alerts

Meanwhile, some people think that the OPP went a little too far in using this system for just an Amber Alert.

Only because it disrupted Downton Abbey, of course.

It disturbed every channel and it drives me nuts because they repeat it too much in one hour, which that was the case on one day.

Archived