Gannett to spin-off by this summer

mardek1995

Multimedia something? I think that's what I always see on WGRZ's close

A bunch of Gannett stations use that as their copyright. Multimedia was a company that Gannett bought in the mid 90s and their use of it in copyrights is to protect the name of Multimedia for future use.

That being said, if they did have a new name without Gannett in it, it would be really nice for them to bring back a name like Multimedia or Belo.

A bunch of Gannett stations use that as their copyright. Multimedia was a company that Gannett bought in the mid 90s and their use of it in copyrights is to protect the name of Multimedia for future use.

That being said, if they did have a new name without Gannett in it, it would be really nice for them to bring back a name like Multimedia or Belo.

It's weird, Because it used to be Gannett and the Gannett tag would be after it.

What about Sander Media? "New" Gannett Broadcasting could buy the Sander Stations (WHAS, KGW, and KMSB) and relaunch the groul under the Sander name.

I fully expect "New Gannett" to buy back the licenses of WHAS and KGW once the spinoff is complete. However, given that KMSB is held by Sander as a shell for Raycom and not Gannett, I don't see them buying that station, or KTTU which was shelled to Ben Tucker.

Gannett is also not bringing back names that haven't been used in ages and have lost whatever widespread recognition they had. Multimedia, Pacific & Southern...Corporations prefer to come up with new, often silly-sounding names for spinoffs instead of digging up the names of corporate predecessors or even well-known subsidiaries (for instance, Mondelez International SHOULD have a name with "Nabisco" in it, but they don't). I think they fear it smacks of regression.

Though they could do the unsurprising thing and give us a name with "Gannett" in it.

Gannett is also not bringing back names that haven't been used in ages and have lost whatever widespread recognition they had. Multimedia, Pacific & Southern...Corporations prefer to come up with new, often silly-sounding names for spinoffs instead of digging up the names of corporate predecessors or even well-known subsidiaries (for instance, Mondelez International SHOULD have a name with "Nabisco" in it, but they don't). I think they fear it smacks of regression.

Though they could do the unsurprising thing and give us a name with "Gannett" in it.

Or call it "USA Today Media" since it references the association that all the media properties (including Cars.com) will no longer have upon split.

I'm sure it'll be something modern and colorful.

"The Other Gannett Company."

You read it here first, folks.

What about "USA Today Media"?

I highly doubt the spun off broadcasting division of Gannett would take on the name of their former sister newspaper.

I wonder if they pull a Scripps and end up keeping Gannett in their name in some form.

Which also brings to mind, do they change the call signs of WUSA and KUSA to deemphasize USA Today at the stations?

I'm inclined to think not, but still a thought.

Also, the name will probably be as simple as Gannett Digital Media.

Which also brings to mind, do they change the call signs of WUSA and KUSA to deemphasize USA Today at the stations?

And give up call letters that are absolutely PERFECT for a station in the nation's capital?

I actually like the Gannett Digital Media and add the Inc, for good measure.

I wonder what the inclination will be to change the graphic design format away from the USA Today standard.

The graphics are almost 3 years old... so they would probably get new ones

I think the graphics will still be around for 2 more years considering that the Lone Star stations have just started getting them, then they'll get new graphics and probably keep and/or update the "This is Home" music cuts that the stations use.

I doubt KUSA and WUSA will change their call signs, but as for the name of the digital arm, if it will be called something like Gannett Digital Media, Gannett will have essentially pull off a Tribune split where when said company split, they did something similar by having the media arm called Tribune Media and the newspapers go under Tribune Publishing.

All I can say is that there's no way KUSA (Denver) & WUSA (Washington DC) are going to change call letters.

KUSA is already way to recognizable with "9 News" in Denver. And WUSA... come on! It's in the Nation's Capital of the USA.

If anything, I wish they kept the Gannett name for broadcasting with another name for print and publishing.

Archived