WABC's Lisa Colagrossi passes away after brain aneurysm

NYNewsCoverage

I have to say, the last few days have been really hard. I grew up watching Eyewitness News, and Lisa's death really hit me, as I know it did for many of us. Feels like the sudden loss of a friend you've run into every day for the last 14 years. I'm so appreciative that this online community exists, and thankful that we've been sharing the coverage of and reaction to Lisa's death, as well as our own thoughts, with one another in this thread and on social media. It has helped to know other people are grieving and missing Lisa too.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so so sad. I was watching Pix 11 News this weekend with Kaity Tong, and she was the one to break this tragic news to me. She gave a quick synopsis of Lisa Colagrossi's life and career in her report. I couldn't believe it. Three days later and I am still so shocked by this woman's death.

As I was reading the Facebook pages of some of Lisa's Colleagues, it really hit me hard. From reading Sade, Diana, Ken, Michelle Charlesworth (who blatantly stated that Lisa's death made her angry and downright mad), Lucy Yang, even Boston's Phil Lipof expressed his grief. As I continued to hear and read more about the life and death of this prominent reporter, I found myself literally in tears. i grew up watching Eyewitness News and Lisa's reports were always a must-have for me. I loved seeing her fill in at the news desk for either Ken or Lori, who was visibly upset by her friend's passing.

I hope that it sends her family some comfort to know that Lisa Colagrossi was valued and loved. The entire country is mourning Lisa's loss right along with them. I know that I can and will speak for all who knew of her when I say that I will miss Lisa Colagrossi. New York Mornings will never be the same.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Post: http://pagesix.com/2015/04/05/grieving-mother-says-abc-boss-worked-daughter-to-death/

The grieving mother of respected anchor and reporter Lisa Colagrossi, who died after a brain hemorrhage on assignment, confronted Lisa’s WABC/Channel 7 boss Camille Edwards at Lisa’s memorial and said, “You worked my daughter to death.”

There was an emotional scene between Lois Colagrossi and famously tough WABC news director Edwards at Lisa’s memorial on March 23.

Witnesses said Edwards approached Lisa’s heartbroken mom for a hug as Lois stood with family to greet mourners. But Lois refused her embrace, saying, “You are the reason I am standing in this church.”

Seems a bit unfair to me but it's not the first complaint about Camille Edwards to come up recently.

From today's Post: http://pagesix.com/2015/04/05/grieving-mother-says-abc-boss-worked-daughter-to-death/

Seems a bit unfair to me but it's not the first complaint about Camille Edwards to come up recently.

Wow. I have no words to say, imagine if she was your daughter and you knew about this track record of this ND. Then come back to me.

I wouldn't be surprised that her mother knew something about this "evil" ND. Dianne Doctor might had been a bad ND at WCBS, but she isn't responsible for deaths like this woman.

If the family wants to feel this way about Edwards (perhaps as some sort of coping mechanism), that's their prerogative, but for anyone else to perpetuate this theory at being legitimate is absolute bullshit. Could an overworked schedule have led to her aneurysm? Sure, anything's possible, but it's also possible that I could suffer an aneurysm while sitting on my couch, dozing off during the late news. You just never know. I consulted with WebMD (many times suspect, but not likely unreliable for this reference), and they state that race, gender, blood pressure, smoking, and family history are the usual culprits. The blood pressure argument could relate to stress brought on by her job, but how many people on this planet (specifically in this field) work similar hours, and get by just fine? Practically all of them. There had to be something else factoring into her condition and eventual demise.

Camille Edwards may be a lousy boss, but she's no murderer, dammit.

If the family wants to feel this way about Edwards (perhaps as some sort of coping mechanism), that's their prerogative, but for anyone else to perpetuate this theory at being legitimate is absolute ************. Could an overworked schedule have led to her aneurysm? Sure, anything's possible, but it's also possible that I could suffer an aneurysm while sitting on my couch, dozing off during the late news. You just never know. I consulted with WebMD (many times suspect, but not likely unreliable for this reference), and they state that race, gender, blood pressure, smoking, and family history are the usual culprits. The blood pressure argument could relate to stress brought on by her job, but how many people on this planet (specifically in this field) work similar hours, and get by just fine? Practically all of them. There had to be something else factoring into her condition and eventual demise.

If you don't feel for the victim, then you'd be on Edwards' side. You did an awesome job just deflating this story.

We didn't hear anything on the personal side, so thanks to the Post for giving some reporting on this tragic time in the NYC market. yeah everyone is hurting, but hey, nothing sucks more than just hearing from one side over and over about mismanagement.

If the family wants to feel this way about Edwards (perhaps as some sort of coping mechanism), that's their prerogative, but for anyone else to perpetuate this theory at being legitimate is absolute bullshit. Could an overworked schedule have led to her aneurysm? Sure, anything's possible, but it's also possible that I could suffer an aneurysm while sitting on my couch, dozing off during the late news. You just never know. I consulted with WebMD (many times suspect, but not likely unreliable for this reference), and they state that race, gender, blood pressure, smoking, and family history are the usual culprits. The blood pressure argument could relate to stress brought on by her job, but how many people on this planet (specifically in this field) work similar hours, and get by just fine? Practically all of them. There had to be something else factoring into her condition and eventual demise.

I think they were saying her management style contributed to it... You are making (really denying) that extra leap there at the end. I really don't think their message was that she's a murderer.

Could it be that the mother had horrible things about Edwards told to her by Colagrossi.... Things about say stress and pressure that aren't normal? Sure a confluence of events occurred but any stress probably didn't help.

The Post has since updated the story to include a statement from Lisa's family that thanks Camille and ABC for supporting the family. It now also includes a statement from WABC supporting Camille's leadership.

Sounds like there are a few bad apples at Channel 7 who have an ax to grind with their ND. Perhaps she may not be the best boss in the world, but to entertain this story that this one woman is responsible for the death of a reporter (who chose to work the AM news shift LONG before Camille Edwards arrived) is not only immoral and wrong - it's just plain stupidity.

The Post has since updated the story to include a statement from Lisa's family that thanks Camille and ABC for supporting the family. It now also includes a statement from WABC supporting Camille's leadership.

Sounds like there are a few bad apples at Channel 7 who have an ax to grind with their ND. Perhaps she may not be the best boss in the world, but to entertain this story that this one woman is responsible for the death of a reporter (who chose to work the AM news shift LONG before Camille Edwards arrived) is not only immoral and wrong - it's just plain stupidity.

I wouldn't let Edwards off the hook yet. You are damn right WABC is going to issue a statement supporting Camille's leadership, she was hired by them and they will continue to "support her leadership" until Dave Davis decides she is no longer worth it or a new GM steps in. The family members issued that statement, maybe to let the show run smoothly or they didn't want any mudslinging between WABC and the family. And yes, when you overwork and overstress people, especially the ones working AM shifts, the Company would be partly to blame if they abused her, no matter if she chose to work that particular shift. On a personal note, I can tell you that I have worked both graveyard and AM shifts, and one leader that I had on the graveyard shift, who already had cancer, his cancer got worse due to being overworked and overstressed by the AM management team. On the other hand, I lost a Lead three months ago, from an aneurism. She was pushed and pushed and overworked for that 8 hour period that it was ridiculous, and that lead to her untimely death. So yeah, easy on the WABC fanism, the Companies don't care about the people, they just care about reducing headcount, costs and having lousy people as "leaders".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived