New Set at WPIX

NYNewsCoverage

Look closely at the 3rd picture on top.. It looks as if the interview stand/up area is almost a preview of whats to come.. I think it is going to be very nice and very different from what they are coming off of. From what many of them are saying on social media it is going to have alot of technology as well.. I guess we'll just have to wait a few more weeks and see.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound

Has anyone read anything? That's the set being deconstructed. That's not the final set. It will take over a month for the new one to be built. The wood you see was put behind the old set for support, that's not going on the new set. Besides, didn't they say they were moving to a larger studio?

Has anyone read anything? That's the set being deconstructed. That's not the final set. It will take over a month for the new one to be built. The wood you see was put behind the old set for support, that's not going on the new set. Besides, didn't they say they were moving to a larger studio?

Yeah you can see them taking the white bacdrops and fixtures off the wood.. Plus their old set was wood prob also part of that.. Their not moving to a new studio.. Just expanding into the old newsroom

I can assure you that is not the type of wood that news sets are built out of and that's not how sets are struck. That is decorative and has been added recently.

Also, it doesn't take this long to dismantle a set. Just sayin'. Look at pictures and video of the set before now and then look at the above pictures (bigger versions here, by the way) and you can see they've replaced some set pieces with different things.

People who are expecting a totally new set are getting set up to be disappointed.

Also, it doesn't take this long to dismantle a set. Just sayin'. Look at pictures and video of the set before now and then look at the above pictures (bigger versions here, by the way) and you can see they've replaced some set pieces with different things.

People who are expecting a totally new set are getting set up to be disappointed.

It's always easier to take apart something than to put it together. A while back Today on the first day they were broadcasting on the plaza when their current set was being constructed they showed a picture of an almost empty Studio 1A. Over the weekend the entire studio was stripped of everything and all that was left was a few work benches and a dumpster.

Here's some additional pictures from Craig Allen. Like a few of you mentioned this definitely looks like a refresh. Some of you may need to refresh to see the embedded tweet.

https://twitter.com/nynewsobserver/status/576914735133822976

It's gonna take a month to "refresh"? I think it'll be a full renovation the picture Craig posted was only a few days in too the construction. Don't refreshes only take a weekend or so most of the time? I guess we'll see soon.

I think they have already started assembling the studio. You can see the PIX 11 plaque on the wall in the temp demo area is also in the pictures Craig took of the new studio. This wasn't incorporated in the last set design. I think we are looking at pics of the new set begin built. Many of the pieces in the "deconstruction" images don't seem to be from the previous set. You can also see what appears to be a new monitor wall in one of the images as well. If you look behind the set in one of the top photos you see the same printed graphic of the city skyline they currently have in their temp set. I think the temp set is a good indicator of what the new set will look like.

It's gonna take a month to "refresh"? I think it'll be a full renovation the picture Craig posted was only a few days in too the construction. Don't refreshes only take a weekend or so most of the time? I guess we'll see soon.

Several years ago, WITI was off their main set (The previous "Newscenter" set) for a good couple of weeks while they swapped out some duratrans, installed a new desk, replaced carpet, and painted the floor. That was it.

There are a lot of variables. Maybe the vendor who's coming in to set up that bank of monitors isn't available until next week. Maybe the lighting designer can't start until next Tuesday. Shot blocking and rehearsals take a lot longer than you'd think.

Several years ago, WITI was off their main set (The previous "Newscenter" set) for a good couple of weeks while they swapped out some duratrans, installed a new desk, replaced carpet, and painted the floor. That was it.

There are a lot of variables. Maybe the vendor who's coming in to set up that bank of monitors isn't available until next week. Maybe the lighting designer can't start until next Tuesday. Shot blocking and rehearsals take a lot longer than you'd think.

It also took KUSA a couple of weeks and all they really did was change the floor and update some paint. But I thought they said last year they were getting a completely new set. Maybe money an issue but whatever it is we will know soon.

One common theme from the last two sets that Tribune's built is the desk, so I wonder whether they'll go for the same design at WPIX...

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2015/01/30/fox-stl-debuts-new-set/

http://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/wttv/

Both those sets are pretty nice, and for much smaller markets than NYC. Tribune seem to have really upped their game when it comes to set design, so I'm hoping this won't be an exception.

One common theme from the last two sets that Tribune's built is the desk, so I wonder whether they'll go for the same design at WPIX...

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2015/01/30/fox-stl-debuts-new-set/

http://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/wttv/

Both those sets are pretty nice, and for much smaller markets than NYC. Tribune seem to have really upped their game when it comes to set design, so I'm hoping this won't be an exception.

KSWB should have gotten that KTVI set instead of that crap set they have.

Anyone know when the set will actually debut? I'm

Guessing either late this week it early next

I don't know exactly but I would think it would take longer than that. I would guess maybe the 1st or second week of April. I also have a feeling they may be expanding their news programming after they debut this set. There's been rumors of PIX expanding programming for quite a while and I think once this set debuts it will be the right time.

I do know that on their last set they took from October 4th to October 28th so that's roughly 24 days. They started on this new set around the 6th, so it could be sooner like you said.

Lisa Mateo confirmed it on twitter its part of the new set and they used it because of the power was out on the temp set this morning. I like it so far.. You can see from some of it, the interview area is pretty much the same idea, but on the sides there are new elements. According to Kori Chambers the set will debut sonetime "next month"

Even just from that small glimpse of the interview area, it's clear that there's much more of a big market, New York feel. Great that it looks like the floor-to-ceiling images they've been using on the temporary set will feature in some way too.

I just hope those ancient angled plasma screens (which have featured in three successive sets now) will finally be banished, along with the dull view of 42nd Street...

Their current set was massively improved the instant they started using the skyline shot on those screens.

To be fair, they only seem to use 42nd Street when weather conditions mean they can't use the skyline - although I've always wondered why they don't just use a taped skyline when that happens. They must really want that shot to be live if they're willing to swap out an amazing skyline for a dull intersection.

Still, I'm hoping that the new set won't be so dependent on a video feed.

Archived