CNBC going HD in 2008.

KKyuubi

Well, the main advantages for a business network having an HD outlet would have to be that presenting information, especially complex and detailed charts, would become easier with the images being crisper and cleaner, overall easier to see.

Cable networks are waiting longer than some local affiliates have, in addition to satellite/cable outlets having to get ready for the extra bandwidth that would be required by HD content.

I don't see why CNBC couldn't have gone HD when WNBC did. The Pyburns are the exact same graphics package for both, just retweaked for each individual station.

Erm, not really.

Cnbcgfx3.jpg

vs

4000.jpg

The astons are nothing alike.

I have seen some elements of elements of the WNBC package in some of CNBC's overseas sister stations.

Here's WNBC's new HD open. Freeze frame at the station ID and observe how the NBC peacock glows in the background:

[yt=425,350]c8VshVvH4eQ[/yt]

Here's the open from CNBC Europe/CNBC Asia's joint show, "Captial Connection". Note the CNBC station ID at the very beginning. See the glowing streaks around the peacock:

[yt=425,350]xz1gZ_8xGhA[/yt]

Also of note: Anyone who can catch the CNBC Europe feed off of the CNBC World cable channel (starting at Midnight/Eastern); I find the new station IDs CNBC Europe has been rolling out strangely familiar (the backgrounds from the first 1.5 seconds of the WNBC HD open with a CNBC Europe logo stamped on it)

Just because some elements from each graphics package are nowhere near alike doesn't mean that one can't pay close enough attention and see the subtle variances and note that these actually are sister graphics packages.

Perhaps it was influenced, but it really doesn't have many similarities. The CNBC doesn't animate much, and it's chrome. it is definanly not the same package perse, but influenced. It's probably by the same designers, but not just tweaked graphics.

Actually, both the WNBC graphics and CNBC's current graphics (well, most of it anyway, the new L3's are in-house) are Pyburns. Seeing that CNBC changes their graphics every few years, will this mean new graphics again for CNBC? Are they ready, skee-daddy?

Here's the real million dollar question: Will all of this HD talk be moot if (or, more likely, when) NewsCorp purchases DowJones? As it stands, CNBC is partly owned by DowJones, GE sold them a minority stake 4 or 5 years ago.

Here's the real million dollar question: Will all of this HD talk be moot if (or, more likely, when) NewsCorp purchases DowJones? As it stands, CNBC is partly owned by DowJones, GE sold them a minority stake 4 or 5 years ago.

Actually, they aren't owned by Dow Jones anymore, when they sold, they changed to their current "First in Business Worldwide" slogan

I don't see why CNBC couldn't have gone HD when WNBC did. The Pyburns are the exact same graphics package for both, just retweaked for each individual station.

Probably going HD involves ALOT more than slapping on new graphics. You pretty much have to swap out all of your broadcasting equipment, including switchers, studio cameras, field cameras, new storage mediums and associated playback equipment., monitors, cables, character generators, and perhaps their editors.

• 1 month later...

From what I hear, it may just be an upconvert with extra financial data in the pillar boxes, my bet - we get charts of the markets in the pillarboxes too.

But, who knows - we could have a full HD relaunch of CNBC, or maybe some original programming in HD (Mad Money in HD would be da' BOOYAH bomb)

Looks at it, I would wonder if CNBC is launching the HD channel in the next few months, but might take another year to phase in new equipment to make the whole setup work. But also, the network may already be implementing HD broadcasting equipment and some of the other items listed by ElliotJones due to MSNBC's moving to NYC and the point the networks are having to create a new control center since the one they've used for all these years was in the MSNBC building that the network is moving out of.

• 5 weeks later...

CNBC HD will not be true HD.

http://broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6478890.html

I already mentioned it (sorta), but still, I also got the first picture of what it will all look like. They do plan on doing some specials in HD (for real) though...

cnbchd2b.jpg

Could this be the start of a revolution? Though, I do get where they're going here, they wanna use HD to evolve and do something different that's never been done before, instead of making us see Maria Bartermolamo (or however you spell it) in HD! Though, it sorta reminds me of what ABC did (or so I hear) during the 2006 elections, they did something simliar on the HD feed (pushing SD to the side, having big stat screen on the side.

It's not revolutionary. HD is supposed to have enhanced picture quality, there shouldn't be any pillar boxes in HD if the HD is done correctly. Upconverting SD cameras to HD, and then filling the space on the side with stock data is a nice idea, but honestly, how do they expect people to be able to read that text from a distance? The ticker and text is just to small. They need to focus on content delivery. Brokers and traders like the ticker. CNBC messed with the ticker when they got their latest graphics package... they lowered it a couple scan lines... it generated thousands of nasty emails from people saying that the ticker was being cut off on the bottom because it was outside of some TV safe title areas... so they had to undo what they did. Now this CNBC HD Plus seems to be doing the same thing... and it's going to generate complaints.

Archived