WXIA uses "This is The Place"

Guest NewsHound

Guest NewsHound

According to the NMSA, 11Alive in Atlanta is using "This is the Place" in conjunction with "This is Home", but only on their new 5pm newscast. Can anyone confirm?

Bad move. They should still use This is Home. I don't know why they need another package for their 5pm newscast. I don't think it would fit well with the graphics, and Atlanta is such a big market.

Here is a clip of the Atlanta alive open:

This is a prime example of why companies with groupwide graphics standardization need to exert strict control over their station's looks. WTF is with the Apple instant messenger sound in the transitions? Why does the text appear using a barn door wipe while there's sounds of someone typing? The weird lens flares appearing and the blank line on the graphic are also confusing.

What a mess.

That's Locals Only, not This Is The Place

Also their 5pm is using

? :bang:

The 5PM show is apparently using This Is The Place. I guess they got Locals Only for the morning??

What the hell is going on over there??? This is looking to be a branding disaster.

The "Atlanta Alive" sound effects are horrible. I remember when I sat down and watched the first edition, and all I could do was shake my head. Now I hear that the Belo pack is in use at 5pm....oi vey.

I'd rather WXIA/WATL just stick with one package. If you're going to use the Belo graphics, use the Belo graphics for everything. If you're going to use Hothaus graphics, use Hothaus graphics for everything.

The "Atlanta Alive" sound effects are horrible. I remember when I sat down and watched the first edition, and all I could do was shake my head. Now I hear that the Belo pack is in use at 5pm....oi vey.

I'd rather WXIA/WATL just stick with one package. If you're going to use the Belo graphics, use the Belo graphics for everything. If you're going to use Hothaus graphics, use Hothaus graphics for everything.

The Belo graphics are Hothaus.

They just raided Hothaus and Stephen Arnold for different packages for each show, it seems. I presume the regular Gannett package is still being used for everything else??

For all we know, they might just go back to JC Burn's 1990 look and Great News, or Hello News or who knows what else. Clearly they've gone kinda nuts at the graphics section. Does anybody know someone who works there? If so, grill them, or tell them to grill the graphics guys.

The Belo graphics are Hothaus.

They just raided Hothaus and Stephen Arnold for different packages for each show, it seems. I presume the regular Gannett package is still being used for everything else??

D'oh! Yeah, you're right, Belo = Hothaus.

As far as I know, here's the breakdown for WXIA graphics and music:

- All graphics/music during the 6pm, 10pm (WATL), and 11pm shows: G3 + Gari

- Intro graphics/music during 'Atlanta Alive' and at 5pm: Hothaus + Stephen Arnold

- Sweeps during teases: Hothaus

- Promos for 'Atlanta Alive' and the 5pm show: Hothaus

- All other on-screen graphics: G3

WXIA is visually a mess right now. However, I would be happy if Gannett offered the Belo pack to its stations as an 'alternative' to the G3 blocks.

Guest NewsHound

Looks as if NMSA has updated to include "Locals Only" in addition to "This is the Place" and "This is Home" for WXIA. Geez, its like WXIA isn't satisfied with just one package?

Even WFAA uses G3 for almost everything (even the weather), except for Good Morning Texas, its AccuWeather subchannel, and a few of its "sponsored by" messages and with the exception of Good Morning Texas, they, like all the other Gannett stations, use This is Home, even though the Wes Quave song it's based on only appeared once during a photo sequence on one of its newscasts a few weeks ago.

• 4 months later...

Archived