February 2015 Sweeps Results

NYNewsCoverage

I don't know what's more unusual: Cox's changes at WFXT actually working or that WBZ has become more hopeless. Might a nuclear option a la WCBS in 1996 be WBZ's last hope?

The fact that WFXT won at 11pm is shocking. But you're right; WBZ is a train wreck, especially in the morning. I guess it hurts when you have a meteorologist

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in New York, I found the results for WPIX, and it was all good news: http://www.tribunemedia.com/?p=20370

I couldn't find any other results for any other station yet, however.

I think this note is more shocking than even fox 25 winning at 11pm above stated.

From the PR: "Elsewhere, PIX11’s Daytime 9a-4p ranked #1 for 15th consecutive sweep among Adults 18-49." Really, people watch it like that? what do you say about WABC daytime since they claim #1 anywhere, everywhere?

I think this note is more shocking than even fox 25 winning at 11pm above stated.

From the PR: "Elsewhere, PIX11’s Daytime 9a-4p ranked #1 for 15th consecutive sweep among Adults 18-49." Really, people watch it like that? what do you say about WABC daytime since they claim #1 anywhere, everywhere?

It all depends on the demo they're looking at. WABC can truthfully claim to be #1 in daytime, if they look only at households (HH) or Adults 25-54. For that matter, WPIX could be dead last in HH and 25-54 and still come out on top in the 18-49 demo. Obviously, WPIX only cares about programming to Adults 18-49.

The fact that WFXT won at 11pm is shocking. But you're right; WBZ is a train wreck, especially in the morning. I guess it hurts when you have a meteorologist

They need to re-evaluate some of their talent. If I was someone working at WBZ, I would be real nervous about my job.There is going to be a shake up soon because they have been in the gutter a bit too long.

The fact that WFXT won at 11pm is shocking. But you're right; WBZ is a train wreck' date=' especially in the morning. I guess it hurts when you have a meteorologist

If I recall correctly either the meteorologist or someone else at the station said that the upside down mug was either an inside joke or their way of pointing out that the mugs are just props that no one uses. Then again they could of came up with that explanation after the fact to cover their asses.

Only information I could find is that WBAL won the demo during 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM (Today), 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 6:30 PM and 11:00 PM. In total viewers they won the time period on all their newscasts. They also increased their lead in time to their 11 PM newscast by 52% from the 10:45PM reporting period.

http://www.wbaltv.com/blob/view/-/31496496/data/1/-/i3qmfbz/-/WBAL-TV-11-Dominates-Television-Newscast-Ratings-During-2015-February-Sweeps.pdf

Edit: I thread their statement and they do not include the noon newscast. I guess they may not have faired well in their timeslot which is a little scary as there is only one other newscast at that time.

Well the good news is that WJZ has FINALLY been dethroned for once. Now let's see if this will be a wake-up call for CBS to give 13 some of the O&O treatment.

Here in Detroit:

WDIV put out their release this Afternoon:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/wdivtv-is ... s/31522986

Breaking this down it looks like this (parenthesis are last years February numbers for comparison), the amount of change from February 2014 is last:

Most of their newscats "increased consistently compared to last month".

Mornings:

No numbers for everybody so it's safe to say WDIV didn't win but they did report beating WXYZ from 6-7am in A25-54 and W25-54 with a 1.9 SHR in both categories. Both the A25-54 and the W25-54 are up 6% for the 430-7am time period.

Noon:

Nothing.... it's pretty safe to bet that both WXYZ's Noon News and Right This Minute are #1 in HH and A25-54. That's basically always the case anyway.

4pm 12.8 / 29 SHR (15.2 / 35 SHR) Down 2.4 / 6 SHR:

WDIV Local 4 News First At 4: 6.5 / 15 SHR (7.5 / 17 SHR) Down 1.0 / 2 SHR

WJBK Judge Judy: 3.6 / 8 SHR (4.3 / 10 SHR) Down 0.7 / 2 SHR

WXYZ The Now Detroit: 2.8 / 6 SHR (Dr. Oz 3.4 / 8 SHR) Down 0.6 / 2 SHR

5pm 17.9 / 36 SHR (20.4 / 39 SHR) Down 2.5 / 3 SHR:

WDIV Local 4 News At 5: 7.0 / 14 SHR (7.9 / 15 SHR) Down 0.9 / 1 SHR

WXYZ 7 Action News At 5: 5.9 / 12 SHR (6.3 / 12 SHR) Down 0.4 / 0 SHR

WJBK Fox 2 News At 5: 5.0 / 10 SHR (6.2 / 12 SHR) Down 1.2 / 2 SHR

6pm 21.0 / 40 SHR (22.2 / 41 SHR) Down 1.2 / 1 SHR:

WDIV Local 4 News At 6: 8.4 / 16 SHR (9.2 / 17 SHR) Down 0.8 / 1 SHR

WXYZ 7 Action News At 6: 7.9 / 15 SHR (7.4 / 14 SHR) Up 0.5 / 1 SHR

WJBK Fox 2 News At 6 4.7 / 9 SHR (5.6 / 10 SHR) Down 0.9 / 1 SHR

7pm:

WDIV Wheel Of Fortune / Jeopardy!: 9.3 / 15 SHR (8.6 / 14 SHR) Up 0.7 / 1 SHR

10pm:

WJBK Fox 2 News At 10: 6.5 / 11 SHR (8.4 / 13 SHR) Down 1.9 / 2 SHR

11pm 19.2 / 36 SHR (23.3 / 44 SHR) Down 4.1 / 8 SHR:

WDIV Local 4 News At 11: 7.7 / 14 SHR (9.8 / 18 SHR) Down 2.1 / 4 SHR

WXYZ 7 Action News At 11: 7.3 / 14 SHR (7.9 / 15 SHR) Down 0.6 / 1 SHR

WJBK FOX 2 News Edge At 11: 4.2 / 8 SHR (5.6 / 11 SHR) Down 1.4 / 3 SHR

WDIV Jimmy Fallon:

4.7 / 11 SHR

It looks like WXYZ is catching up at 6 and 11 and it's declines were the smallest. They were even the only station to get any of their evening newscasts to grow.. if only by 0.5 at 6pm. The Now Detroit on WXYZ also got a 2.8 in November so this is the second sweeps book in a row that it has underperformed Dr. Oz.

WDIV's drop is because of the olympics not being there. Although it is a little down from November even without considering that. WJBK... I have no idea what happened to them but boy... they took a hit. The same thing was true for October and November... big drops...

Also of note... the 6pm newscasts are the marquis shows here for WDIV and WXYZ... the 11pm newscasts serve more as updates than anything. Outside of 2 live shots for each station it's all repetition. WJBK's 11pm is a headline/opinion show. For WJBK their 10pm is their most important outside of their dominant 430am-Noon news block.

Lindsey Shively, (second from left), has been there since 2009 and is a native. and Kalee Dionne, (first on the left and the meteorologist) replaced Brett Anthony who left to be the chief at KJRH. Kalee is actually an improvement over Brett. Fazio replaced Curtis Jay who did nothing to help them and McDonnell replaced Demetria Obilor who randomly up and left the station.

It's sad when you can name all of the previous anchors. Goes to show you how turnover hurts a news operation.

I can't name most of KSAT's previous morning anchors by memory because the same team has been together damn near 15 years. WOAI's team has also been very stable. I can name all of the previous morning anchors at KENS, and guess what, surprise surprise they're third.

At least KSHB doesn't use a stand up comedian to do traffic like KENS does... :rolleyes:

It's sad when you can name all of the previous anchors. Goes to show you how turnover hurts a news operation.

I can't name most of KSAT's previous morning anchors by memory because the same team has been together damn near 15 years. WOAI's team has also been very stable. I can name all of the previous morning anchors at KENS, and guess what, surprise surprise they're third.

At least KSHB doesn't use a stand up comedian to do traffic like KENS does... :rolleyes:

I can imagine an off color joke or two reporting on some fiery crash... that is really a crazy thing. How much of a leash does the comedian have?

I can imagine an off color joke or two reporting on some fiery crash... that is really a crazy thing. How much of a leash does the comedian have?

Look her up if you care: Jennie Stencel. Let's just say she has to clean her act up for broadcast...

She stays serious for traffic but believe it or not, she does not appear on camera most of the time, and when she does, she generally doesn't look presentable for broadcast.

First off I don't think that's their regular morning meteorologist. Secondly, and someone correct me if need be, but don't they just go solo in the mornings with Kathryn Hauser? Because if so that's embarrassing for a station in the 7th largest market.

Cox seems to be taking WFXT in the right direction. They hired a bunch of reporters, got rid of the opinion segments and they improved one area that was really lacking under FOX ownership. Special coverage. Under FOX it was a regular occurrence for every station but FOX25 to be airing breaking news coverage, under Cox ownership it's been the opposite. Not only have they been right there with the big 3, they've stayed on air longer in some instances.

As for WBZ, they're a tough one to figure out. Some have mentioned the nuclear option, but it's worth noting that they made a bunch of changes in or around September. Every single anchor pairing was shuffled, Jack Williams stepped aside and three good reporters were let go and replaced. I'm not saying there aren't changes I would advocate to the on-air staff, but I wonder how likely they would be to consider it based on the number of recent changes that have already taken place.

Looking at it objectively, the 11pm ratings for WBZ are a little surprising to me. The semi-recent pairing of David Wade and Lisa Hughes has been solid and they've developed a very good rapport over the past handful of months.. On the other hand, their morning show is completely unappealing since they changed it in September. Just recently they rebranded "WBZ News in the Morning" to "WBZ This Morning" with a new open, music, and yellow show logo. The rebrand isn't worth much mention, but suffice it to say it's pretty bad.

If I had to start on where things went wrong for WBZ I would point to their personnel/budget decisions in recent years. It's no different than many stations go through across the country, but that practice sort of sticks out like a sore thumb in Boston. WFXT has always been a bare bones operation (until recently), WCVB has retained just about every veteran reporter on staff in the past several years and WHDH viewers have been acclimated to a revolving door of staff long before it was common practice to operate that way. WBZ on the other hand hung it's hat for years on it's deep, veteran reporting staff and seasoned anchors, but when it came time to change course they fall flat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not casting a broad net over every newbie at the station. I think BZ has made some great weather hires including Eric Fisher, but I really haven't been too wowed with what they've trotted out in the news department in recent years.

Whatever the case, it's good to see some healthy competition in the market with WFXT's recent performance.

Look her up if you care: Jennie Stencel. Let's just say she has to clean her act up for broadcast...

She stays serious for traffic but believe it or not, she does not appear on camera most of the time, and when she does, she generally doesn't look presentable for broadcast.

First off I don't think that's their regular morning meteorologist. Secondly, and someone correct me if need be, but don't they just go solo in the mornings with Kathryn Hauser? Because if so that's embarrassing for a station in the 7th largest market.

You're correct, Barry Burbank is the weekend evening meteorologist.

I think the coffee mug thing is being blown out of proportion. In Boston today there are two meterologists in the elite class, Harvey Leonard and Barry Burbank. A silly coffee mug gaffe that most don't even remember doesn't flush 30+ years of excellent forecasting down the drain.

On initially going solo in the morning - Yes, pretty ridiculous, right? Bree Sison had been co-anchoring with Kathryn before Kathryn's maternity leave, but I didn't get the sense either way whether that was a permanent pairing.

Looking at it objectively, the 11pm ratings for WBZ are a little surprising to me. The semi-recent pairing of David Wade and Lisa Hughes has been solid and they've developed a very good rapport over the past handful of months.. On the other hand, their morning show is completely unappealing since they changed it in September. Just recently they rebranded "WBZ News in the Morning" to "WBZ This Morning" with a new open, music, and yellow show logo. The rebrand isn't worth much mention, but suffice it to say it's pretty bad.

Since there has been slow growth during CBS This Morning how about they rebrand the morning show WBZ This Morning. I would go a hard news direction for this show.

What about Austin? Are there any results of this year's sweeps over there?

You know what? I was wondering the same thing and checked out Austin360 last night but they didn't post them yet. They probably won't get around to it until March or April seeing how late they were with releasing November sweeps info.

But it's probably the same story there, KVUE #1, KXAN #2, KTBC #3 and KEYE #4. I also can't see any of the recent shakeups, particularly at KEYE helping. I could go on the same rant with them that I did with KSHB but I'll spare everyone this time.

In short, their problem is turnover, lots of it. They have a nice diversity of staff among age and gender unlike KSHB and I actually like most of their anchors like Hema and Walt Mac. I just don't care for the new morning pairing. They took two airheads who were terrible on their lifestyle show and moved them to mornings. I liked Ericka Miller and don't know why they're basically demoting her to "breaking news anchor". They've added some decent reporter hires and Adela Uchida was a good pickup for weekends. So for the most part they're headed in the right direction... The new ND has also improved the content. I think they have a decent newscast. It needs some work but like I said they know where they're going. At least they don't harp on "trending Internet topics" and sports news. ;)

But as long as they continue to have constant staff turnover their ratings will be dismal. I could've sworn they had a recent reporter hire who was there one day, gone before you could blink. So that's a problem that needs to be corrected, like strict enforcement of contracts. WSYR was/is a very stable newsroom so I hope the new ND will curb that.

KVUE and KXAN have done a nice job about hiring younger talent and phasing them in and getting viewers familiar with them so as the veterans retire, trusted faces are taking over. KVUE has the best morning team, very energetic and a nice balance of younger and older talent, while I stick with KXAN for evenings, because they have the best investigative reporting. And KTBC wouldn't be so bad if they improved their statehouse reporting. I mean hire at least one beat reporter like KVUE and KXAN have. But they're the go-to station for general Austin city coverage, they excel at that.

Austin's news operations are "world class" compared to ours. I can't stand the subpar San Antonio local news. It feels like well produced small market news with access to chopper footage. I'll spare everyone from that rant but let's just say I'm happy I'm only stuck with those for three years in an otherwise great city. The radio stations suck here too compared to Austin...

One thing it seems is that Raycom has the most market leaders and market dominant stations, is there any reason for such? Most of their stations are market leaders.

It's mostly because they bought market leaders that were dominant under previous owners such as Federal, Ellis, Liberty, and Lincoln Financial. The only stations aren't market leaders seem to be the ex-Malrite stations (WOIO, WXIX, and WFLX).

You know what? I was wondering the same thing and checked out Austin360 last night but they didn't post them yet. They probably won't get around to it until March or April seeing how late they were with releasing November sweeps info.

But it's probably the same story there, KVUE #1, KXAN #2, KTBC #3 and KEYE #4. I also can't see any of the recent shakeups, particularly at KEYE helping. I could go on the same rant with them that I did with KSHB but I'll spare everyone this time.

In short, their problem is turnover, lots of it. They have a nice diversity of staff among age and gender unlike KSHB and I actually like most of their anchors like Hema and Walt Mac. I just don't care for the new morning pairing. They took two airheads who were terrible on their lifestyle show and moved them to mornings. I liked Ericka Miller and don't know why they're basically demoting her to "breaking news anchor". They've added some decent reporter hires and Adela Uchida was a good pickup for weekends. So for the most part they're headed in the right direction... The new ND has also improved the content. I think they have a decent newscast. It needs some work but like I said they know where they're going. At least they don't harp on "trending Internet topics" and sports news. ;)

But as long as they continue to have constant staff turnover their ratings will be dismal. I could've sworn they had a recent reporter hire who was there one day, gone before you could blink. So that's a problem that needs to be corrected, like strict enforcement of contracts. WSYR was/is a very stable newsroom so I hope the new ND will curb that.

KVUE and KXAN have done a nice job about hiring younger talent and phasing them in and getting viewers familiar with them so as the veterans retire, trusted faces are taking over. KVUE has the best morning team, very energetic and a nice balance of younger and older talent, while I stick with KXAN for evenings, because they have the best investigative reporting. And KTBC wouldn't be so bad if they improved their statehouse reporting. I mean hire at least one beat reporter like KVUE and KXAN have. But they're the go-to station for general Austin city coverage, they excel at that.

Austin's news operations are "world class" compared to ours. I can't stand the subpar San Antonio local news. It feels like well produced small market news with access to chopper footage. I'll spare everyone from that rant but let's just say I'm happy I'm only stuck with those for three years in an otherwise great city. The radio stations suck here too compared to Austin...

I'm guessing Houston's sweeps are like this: KTRK #1, KHOU #2, KPRC #3, and KRIV #4.

Archived