February 2015 Sweeps Results

NYNewsCoverage

Well, today was the last day of sweeps. The results should be out soon, so I figured I'd make a thread to discuss the sweeps results in your city. I'll start here, with an article about how Denver's KCNC saw big gains in the mornings.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/denver-cbs-station-climbs-morning-ratings-mountain/142378

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about that... we posted the same thing about the same article in the same minute... since yours was first here's my post from the sweeps thread I made, a summary of the numbers the article provides. I already removed the content from the other thread so it just needs deleting.

5-7am A25-54, Percentages are vs. February 2014:

KUSA 1.3 -27%

KCNC 0.9 +69%

KMGH 0.7 -10%

6am A25-54:

KUSA 1.8 -26%

KCNC 1.2 +68%

KMGH 0.8 -19%

Fresh sweeps numbers from D/FW.

6 A.M.

Total Viewers

Fox4 -- 106,800 (minus 56,530)

Gannett8 -- 94,410 (plus 9,194)

NBC5 -- 86,990 (minus 33,732)

CBS11 -- 57,460 (minus 13,553)

25-to-54-Year-Olds

Fox4 -- 56,300 (minus 35,107)

NBC5 -- 35,660 (minus 22,231)

Gannett 8 -- 32,020 (minus 19,953)

CBS11 -- 29,210 (minus 1,259)

5 P.M.

Total Viewers

NBC5 -- 139,260 (minus 2,766)

Gannett8 -- 126,610 (plus 20,090)

Fox4 -- 123,850 (plus 3,128)

CBS11 -- 117,510 (plus 32,294)

25-to-54-Year-Olds

NBC5 -- 43,960 (plus 1,303)

Fox4 -- 41,310 (minus 13,534)

Gannett8 -- 31,950 (minus 4,613)

CBS11 -- 30,600 (plus 3,178)

6 P.M.

Total Viewers

CBS11 -- 178,820 (plus 22,591)

Gannett8 -- 164,130 (plus 15,003)

NBC5 -- 156,490 (minus 21,043)

Fox4 -- 117,220 (minus 17,705)

25-to-54-Year-Olds

Fox4 -- 52,830 (minus 8,108)

Gannett8 -- 48,980 (minus 9,001)

NBC5 -- 48,280 (minus 12,658)

CBS11 -- 40,040 (plus 15,665)

10 P.M.

Total Viewers

Gannett 8 -- 229,530

CBS11 -- 182,110

Fox4 -- 152,980

NBC5 -- 149,910

25-to-54-Year-Olds

Gannett8 -- 91,810

Fox4 -- 84,750

NBC5 -- 67,880

CBS11 -- 44,120

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw.html

No word on other dayparts (I wouldn't expect any major shifts), but more of the same in Chicago, as numbers fall back into familiar territory after WMAQ's Olympic surge last year. Compared to last year, the 5 local options have shed more 100 thousand viewers in the late slots, though 90% of that can be closely-linked to the Sochi games. http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/02/26/wls-channel-7-gets-a-win-in-february-sweeps.html?page=all

At 10PM:

• WLS (ABC) - 9.1 (+0.4 year-to-year, also led in 25-54 demo)
  • WMAQ (NBC) - 6.8 (-2.8)
  • WBBM (CBS) - 4.3 (-0.7)

At 9PM:

• WGN (CW) - 5.0 (-0.3)
  • WFLD (Fox) - 2.5 (-0.1)

(1 rating point equal 35,000 households)

Milwaukee Sweeps numbers just in: Another disappointing sweeps for WTMJ while WITI continues to hold onto their newfound 10pm lead.

6am:

WITI- 5.7

WISN- 5.0

WTMJ- 2.9

WDJT- 1.1

5pm:

WISN- 7.1

WTMJ- 5.7

WITI- 4.3

WDJT- 3.4

6pm:

WISN- 7.5

WTMJ- 5.5

WITI- 5.3

(Jeopardy! on WDJT beats them all with a 7.7)

10pm:

WITI- 6.7

WISN- 5.6

WDJT- 5.1

WTMJ- 4.7

http://www.duanedudek.com/blog/2015/02/26/witi-wins-10-p-m-sweeps-wtmj-falls-fourth/

SA sweeps results:

KSAT sweeps the scene once again. Jake couldn't have said it better: "It may be the same old story, but KSAT-TV couldn’t be happier for the monotony."

KENS is picking back up to #2 in key evening slots at 6 and 10. Unfortunate because their newscast is really bad. Fortunately they ranked third in the mornings and at 5 o'clock. CBS prime time was number one here so that's definitely aiding them at 10pm.

Now to WOAI, they're back down to third at 6 and 10. However remember I said in another thread, KENS has been trying out saucier sweeps stories versus WOAI's hard approach. And I think because of that they are losing.

But I appreciate WOAI for sticking with real news and not pieces about the Mexican mafia and "Defenders" or "Crime Fighters" pieces like KSAT or the Chupacabra and sex appeal on 5.

KENS definitely has the weaker news team. Their people don't really click at all. WOAI Randy, Evy, Delaine and the team are all great and I think some people watch just for them. KSAT team is alright, anchor hottie Isis has gotten better about not tripping over every word but is still unbearable.

Now to KABB, they are up in their timeslot. I attribute this to their new anchorman Ryan Wolf. He's really good, I'm surprised he's not in a bigger market but I think he likes living in this part of Texas. He was at KGBT 4 for 10 years so that says something.

Also Ryan really clicks with Elisa Amigo very well. They definitely have some chemistry. When she co-anchored with Mike Valdes their chemistry was non-existent. I don't miss Valdes one bit. He was a good reporter but weekend material at best. His presentation was too straightforward and his personality never came out. Having met him in person a few times, I can tell you what you saw on camera is what you got when you met him. In short, I'll take Wolf over Valdes any day.

And I'll wrap it up with Spanish stations: KWEX over KVDA to give the 60 the dead last newscast in the market.

Article: http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/KSAT-TV-sweeps-news-races-again-6103692.php

This is the first ratings period in a long, long time in which KMBC actually aired its ABC late programming (Kimmel) in its designated time slot (10:35). Last November, "Modern Family" typically had a 5.0-6.0 rating at 10:35 on KMBC. Kimmel in February? 3.9.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/tv/article11259824.html

6:00 a.m.

WDAF - 6.0 (in fairness, we were giving away Royals home-opener tickets all month)

KMBC - 4.8

KCTV - 2.9

KSHB - 2.8

5:00 p.m.

KCTV - 6.6 (nipped KMBC in the final week)

KMBC - 6.4

WDAF - 5.5

KSHB - 4.8

6:00 p.m.

WDAF - 7.4

KCTV - 7.1

KMBC - 6.9

KSHB - 5.3

10:00 p.m.

KMBC - 7.3 (up from lead-in)

KCTV - 6.8 (down from lead-in)

KSHB - 6.0 (up from lead-in)

WDAF - 5.3 (flat)

Wow... KSHB really is in bad shape. That WLS 25-54 Demo win in Chicago was a 3.8 vs. WMAQ's 3.5 at 10pm. it's pretty close actually. I'm not sure I would be too upset with it over at WMAQ... it probably only took a few nights to tip the book in 7's favor.

where do you find the Atlanta numbers?

Search Atlanta TV News Ratings 2015 in Google and see what pops up. It's either going to be press releases from the stations or someone from the Atlanta press that watches these things writing an article. I don't know if anything like that is out yet however.

Thank The Now, frankly thank Scripps. Hard to believe they were ever first at 5 and 6pm just a few sweeps periods ago. They screwed that station over hard.

"Our strategy will work.... we realize we may be down for a few years"...

Wow... KSHB really is in bad shape.

Let's look at their morning newscast, because according to those numbers that's when they do the worst:

6:00 a.m.

WDAF - 6.0 (in fairness, we were giving away Royals home-opener tickets all month)

KMBC - 4.8

KCTV - 2.9

KSHB - 2.8

I came across this on TVSpy today:

KMCI-300x200.jpg

Dear god, is that really their morning team? Because if so I can tell you problem number one: None of their talent looks older than 35 and I don't think any of them have been there longer than 2 years. Also note they only have one guy anchoring and the rest of their talent is female. In fact I think their regular morning field reporter is female too. So it's almost like a local version of Fox News' Outnumbered except it's not a debate show. That's not to say that their morning crew is a horrible crew, just there should be more age and gender diversity there.

More importantly, how come Joel Nichols isn't their morning weather guy? He's like a KC institution yet they have him on a low rate lifestyle show when he's paid his dues and should be their weatherman. He would bring familiarity and name recognition to the show. They can move the current chick to weekends since they never found a replacement for Michelle Apon.

Now let's look at problem number two. This is about their expansion on "38 The Spot" (a dumb station brand BTW), but I'm sure it applies to the main station too:

The new show will be produced by sister station (and NBC affiliate) KSHB and will feature sports coverage, trending internet topics and other lifestyle reporting.

Yeah, because when people are waking up and getting ready to leave, they don't want the latest news. No, they want to see viral videos, Twitter trends, sports news (WTF?), and "other lifestyle reporting". :rolleyes:

It almost sounds like Scripps corporate is all over their content now and out of touch with what people want to see. Yes I understand the need for a lighter show, but first off I have never seen sports on a morning newscast aside from a one minute taped report on the Fox affiliate's morning newscast here. It's out of place, if you will. No sports junkie is going to be watching local morning news to get their information from, they will more likely be listening to SportsRadio on AM than watching this.

And there goes Scripps pushing their obsession with "trending internet topics" again. They literally build their company around this. All their newscast talk about is this, they have RightThisMinute, The List, The NOW, which do nothing but harp on social media trends.

Whatever happened to news in the morning news? This station isn't helping, won't be long before there's a shakeup with their morning team. I can't see how they can be content with such terrible numbers in a key slot. (yes I consider mornings a key slot, in fact it's sometimes the only time people watch the news)

Thank The Now, frankly thank Scripps. Hard to believe they were ever first at 5 and 6pm just a few sweeps periods ago. They screwed that station over hard.

Now on to evenings. I agree The NOW is hurting them. What can you do though? In their defense it's cheap content and easy to crank out. Though a straight 4PM newscast would've been better, especially if they had a monopoly on it.

But they're not doing so bad in the evenings if you look at it this way. Yes they're third or fourth but it looks like KC is a very competitive market. Look at how close most of those numbers are. They're not a "distant" fourth like WOAI is here sometimes. As I said they need to work on their newscast, fill major vacancies, hire better reporters and do better packages. I think they did better in the past because their newscast was better in the past too. The stories they covered were better. Their reporters were better, it was a very informative newscast. Now they and the other Scripps stations focus too much on trends. Really if I wanted to see the latest trends I would check Twitter or Buzzfeed before this. I don't need the news to tell me the obvious, when I can find out myself. I watch the NEWS to get the NEWS, not trends. UGH...

That's why they're doing so bad...

Milwaukee Sweeps numbers just in: Another disappointing sweeps for WTMJ while WITI continues to hold onto their newfound 10pm lead.

6am:

WITI- 5.7

WISN- 5.0

WTMJ- 2.9

WDJT- 1.1

5pm:

WISN- 7.1

WTMJ- 5.7

WITI- 4.3

WDJT- 3.4

6pm:

WISN- 7.5

WTMJ- 5.5

WITI- 5.3

10pm:

WITI- 6.7

WISN- 5.6

WDJT- 5.1

WTMJ- 4.7

http://www.duanedudek.com/blog/2015/02/26/witi-wins-10-p-m-sweeps-wtmj-falls-fourth/

tmj's appalling rating is rightfully deserved. they had very weak feature stories through the entire period. WTMJ and WITI even both ran the same exact feature story on the same exact night, and you can kind of tell which one was rushed.... just sayin'.

i hear both tmj's 10p producer and special projects producer left this week. it's not surprising what happened here. that's what happens when people who no longer care are driving the bus...

i expect if things don't improve dramatically in may we will be seeing some talent put out to pasture...

6am:

WITI- 5.7

WISN- 5.0

WTMJ- 2.9

WDJT- 1.1

5pm:

WISN- 7.1

WTMJ- 5.7

WITI- 4.3

WDJT- 3.4

6pm:

WISN- 7.5

WTMJ- 5.5

WITI- 5.3

10pm:

WITI- 6.7

WISN- 5.6

WDJT- 5.1

WTMJ- 4.7

tmj's appalling rating is rightfully deserved. they had very weak feature stories through the entire period. WTMJ and WITI even both ran the same exact feature story on the same exact night, and you can kind of tell which one was rushed.... just sayin'.

i hear both tmj's 10p producer and special projects producer left this week. it's not surprising what happened here. that's what happens when people who no longer care are driving the bus...

i expect if things don't improve dramatically in may we will be seeing some talent put out to pasture...

A former co-worker of mine works at WTMJ. The Special Projects producer is starting a job outside TV on Monday. That's been planned for a while. But the climate in the newsroom is not good. They just got a new ND last year, and they have openings for morning EP, nightside EP, special projects EP, and chief photojournalist. It looks like they swept out the existing management over the last few months.

Let's look at their morning newscast, because according to those numbers that's when they do the worst:

KMCI-300x200.jpg

Dear god, is that really their morning team? Because if so I can tell you problem number one: None of their talent looks older than 35 and I don't think any of them have been there longer than 2 years. Also note they only have one guy anchoring and the rest of their talent is female. In fact I think their regular morning field reporter is female too. So it's almost like a local version of Fox News' Outnumbered except it's not a debate show. That's not to say that their morning crew is a horrible crew, just there should be more age and gender diversity there.

More importantly, how come Joel Nichols isn't their morning weather guy? He's like a KC institution yet they have him on a low rate lifestyle show when he's paid his dues and should be their weatherman. He would bring familiarity and name recognition to the show. They can move the current chick to weekends since they never found a replacement for Michelle Apon.

Now let's look at problem number two. This is about their expansion on "38 The Spot" (a dumb station brand BTW), but I'm sure it applies to the main station too:

Yeah, because when people are waking up and getting ready to leave, they don't want the latest news. No, they want to see viral videos, Twitter trends, sports news (WTF?), and "other lifestyle reporting". :rolleyes:

It almost sounds like Scripps corporate is all over their content now and out of touch with what people want to see. Yes I understand the need for a lighter show, but first off I have never seen sports on a morning newscast aside from a one minute taped report on the Fox affiliate's morning newscast here. It's out of place, if you will. No sports junkie is going to be watching local morning news to get their information from, they will more likely be listening to SportsRadio on AM than watching this.

And there goes Scripps pushing their obsession with "trending internet topics" again. They literally build their company around this. All their newscast talk about is this, they have RightThisMinute, The List, The NOW, which do nothing but harp on social media trends.

Whatever happened to news in the morning news? This station isn't helping, won't be long before there's a shakeup with their morning team. I can't see how they can be content with such terrible numbers in a key slot. (yes I consider mornings a key slot, in fact it's sometimes the only time people watch the news)

Now on to evenings. I agree The NOW is hurting them. What can you do though? In their defense it's cheap content and easy to crank out. Though a straight 4PM newscast would've been better, especially if they had a monopoly on it.

But they're not doing so bad in the evenings if you look at it this way. Yes they're third or fourth but it looks like KC is a very competitive market. Look at how close most of those numbers are. They're not a "distant" fourth like WOAI is here sometimes. As I said they need to work on their newscast, fill major vacancies, hire better reporters and do better packages. I think they did better in the past because their newscast was better in the past too. The stories they covered were better. Their reporters were better, it was a very informative newscast. Now they and the other Scripps stations focus too much on trends. Really if I wanted to see the latest trends I would check Twitter or Buzzfeed before this. I don't need the news to tell me the obvious, when I can find out myself. I watch the NEWS to get the NEWS, not trends. UGH...

That's why they're doing so bad...

KSHB is just starting to use Joel Nichols in the morning, not for weather, but in some feature segments. Nichols hosted a public affairs program ("Afterwords") on KMBC for many years. He's just as capable as an interviewer and reporter as he is front of the weather maps. While KSHB is still far behind in the morning, they gained some viewers. KCTV gained some too. Both of them gained at the expense of KMBC.

KMCI-300x200.jpg

Lindsey Shively, (second from left), has been there since 2009 and is a native. and Kalee Dionne, (first on the left and the meteorologist) replaced Brett Anthony who left to be the chief at KJRH. Kalee is actually an improvement over Brett. Fazio replaced Curtis Jay who did nothing to help them and McDonnell replaced Demetria Obilor who randomly up and left the station.

As for Nichols, well first off he's not an actual meteorologist. I don't even know if he has a degree in a science. Secondly, when he came to KSHB, Dionne had hardly been there a year. It's not like they could just boot her out in place of him, and KSHB doesn't seem to agree with the "dual meteorologist" thing KMBC does or else they would have done it. Plus what Rob said, he's a better interviewer than anything.

Only information I could find is that WBAL won the demo during 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM (Today), 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 6:30 PM and 11:00 PM. In total viewers they won the time period on all their newscasts. They also increased their lead in time to their 11 PM newscast by 52% from the 10:45PM reporting period.

http://www.wbaltv.com/blob/view/-/31496496/data/1/-/i3qmfbz/-/WBAL-TV-11-Dominates-Television-Newscast-Ratings-During-2015-February-Sweeps.pdf

Edit: I thread their statement and they do not include the noon newscast. I guess they may not have faired well in their timeslot which is a little scary as there is only one other newscast at that time.

Only information I could find is that WBAL won the demo during 6:00 AM, 7:00 AM (Today), 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 6:30 PM and 11:00 PM. In total viewers they won the time period on all their newscasts. They also increased their lead in time to their 11 PM newscast by 52% from the 10:45PM reporting period.

http://www.wbaltv.com/blob/view/-/31496496/data/1/-/i3qmfbz/-/WBAL-TV-11-Dominates-Television-Newscast-Ratings-During-2015-February-Sweeps.pdf

That 52% is a 2.64 rating growth (!)... Not bad.

Archived