MSNBC's Graphics Go 16:9

Geoffrey

Just noticed tonight that MSNBC's graphics are now designed for full widescreen use.

The bar inserted by master control on top (with the show's name, time, stocks, "live", and msnbc/msnbc.com/Lean Forward) is wider so everything seems awkwardly spaced.

The lower thirds on the bottom have also been changed. I'm only seeing how it looks on Rachel Maddow but it looks very cheap and not well designed at all. (At first, I thought it was something a video editor slapped together for a clip but no, it was the actual graphic.)

They transitioned to 16:9 back in 2013 but today they relaunched their lower thirds. I find the thin line that goes around the sides and bottom of the lower third looks too similar to CNN. In the past few months they have dabbled in having a full width lower thirds on All In where at times they removed the descriptor image completely from screen.

• 2 weeks later...

OK....

They were all 4:3 safe tonight during Chris Hayes' show. Right now for the live coverage of the shootings in Ferguson, they're back to full 16:9 for everything but names, which are the "short" versions again.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

OK....

They were all 4:3 safe tonight during Chris Hayes' show. Right now for the live coverage of the shootings in Ferguson, they're back to full 16:9 for everything but names, which are the "short" versions again.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It was like that during Hardball, Maddow, Last Word and most of dayside.

I think you're just confused. The graphics have been like that since they debuted. There seem to be two types of lower thirds: one that stretches across most of the screen and is used for headlines, and then there's another one that shrinks and is used for names and slugs/artwork only (the kind of semi-cartoony stuff that was to the left in the older designs). The dayside shows seem to use the longer one more often (including for names), while the primetime shows understandably use the shorter version for their design elements.

16169229634_cf11b37378_c.jpg

16605413539_d30cf81562_c.jpg

16171635873_1760599627_c.jpg

No they were initially wider when they switched on all programs. There were some smaller elements like the ones used during Hardball. Normally an all headline and name chyron were always wider. But today it appears that a few shows switched back exclusively to the much smaller lower thirds that were used on Hardball.

• 5 months later...

...And guess who has new graphics this morning. MSNBC, that's who. The logo appears to have been altered from all lower case to all upper case.

20408834770_044ae0c0dc_b.jpg

20410096589_786fffe551_b.jpg

I don't feel so hot on the changes, but at least that weird upper third is finally gone.

Archived