The Sinclair-ization thread

tyrannical bastard

It probably has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with what equipment the stations are using. I don't know what KEYE uses but Sinclair's legacy stations (like KABB) are standardized on Chyron CGs so that's likely what these are designed for. I guess somewhere along the way Sinclair decided they didn't want to design versions of the package compatible with VizRT or other CGs. So that's probably why they got .MOV files instead. My guess would be the Allbritton stations already had Chyron systems installed thus making the transition easier for them.

From what I've seen and heard Sinclair is taking the cheap way out and not upgrading any production equipment at their new acqusitions to be on par with their legacy standard...

We use Deko for CG and Avid Thunder/DNF Shotbox for animation playblack. It's the oddest and oldest setup in the world.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think WDKY is the only Sinclair station that has their news produced elsewhere that uses the Sinclair look. Every other station uses the look of the content provider.

Is it a Sinclair insistence or because Gray doesn't want to use their presentation style on WDKY?

WTAT uses the Sinclair package even though WCSC (Raycom) produces the newscasts.

WMSN uses the Sinclair package even though WISC (Morgan Murphy Media) produces those newscasts.

I think it's a Sinclair thing but it leads one to wonder why they didn't do the same with other stations in a similar arrangement.

WTAT uses the Sinclair package even though WCSC (Raycom) produces the newscasts.

WMSN uses the Sinclair package even though WISC (Morgan Murphy Media) produces those newscasts.

I think it's a Sinclair thing but it leads one to wonder why they didn't do the same with other stations in a similar arrangement.

It depends on how much leeway the news-producing station gives. For example, WPGH has its 10PM newscast produced by WPXI but unlike WTAT, WMSN, or WDKY, they use the news producer's graphics. Heck, 53's branding is "Channel 11 News on Fox 53" instead of "Fox 53 News". That, or simply WPXI's equipment might not be able to render the Sinclair graphics all too well.

WDKY has pretty good ratings or so they say they do. I wonder would they ever decide to do their own newscasts, but they would have to build a new building.

When it comes to the weather graphics they use WKYT's.

Here is a tour of WKYT, not sure if anyone can tell what equipment they use for graphics. https://youtu.be/cSvRJ9lVWIQ?t=2m58s

I wonder how much longer WTAT is going to keep using the "old" Sinclair package, especially now that Cunningham "owns" them outright.

Whenever WCSC upgrades to the latest Raycom package, hopefully they'll put the old Sinclair look out of its misery on WTAT...

The only other case ive seen is with WDSI in Chattanooga keeping the old look since their news is provided by WTVC, which has upgraded. And WDSI was left out of the sale of New Age's stations to Sinclair itself....

It's not terrible. It's far better than some of their more recent efforts. I think the pelican is too big versus the "3"

But the bigger problem is in the execution. It just popped up on their website and now it's on their twitter. Everywhere else is still the old logo. They haven't even switched out the weather graphics yet and everything else is the same by viewing their on-air stream....

Clearly it signals a problem that things are not in sync and the station and Sinclair could care less about rebranding their product. Of course being the only game in town lets them do whatever they please...

Another little tidbit....when I load up weartv.com, the home page description is for WEAR News3 as opposed to their longtime moniker of Channel 3 News.

A slight rebrand may be possible, but I'm taking it with an extreme grain of salt especially since stations like WHP rebranded their website to local21news.com despite keeping the CBS 21 brand.

Perhaps an aborted plan to re-image WHP after WPMI and WKRC?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Archived