The Sinclair-ization thread

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess in the digital realm, the PAL frame rate (25) would be about the same as a 24fps (23.997) frame rate, giving it more of a film-like look. This is because of the electrical system running at 50HZ in PAL countries instead of our 60HZ.

I hate to nitpick here, but I think it's worth noting that countries can have PAL at 60Hz or NTSC at 50Hz. Chile has the latter, while Brazil has the former. Both are going to the ISDB-T standard that will be extremely common in most of Latin America.

Also, TV compatibility with 60Hz refresh rates in Europe is very high (especially for things like video games), and DVB I believe allows for 60fps for quite a bit of content.

I hate to nitpick here, but I think it's worth noting that countries can have PAL at 60Hz or NTSC at 50Hz. Chile has the latter, while Brazil has the former. Both are going to the ISDB-T standard that will be extremely common in most of Latin America.

Also, TV compatibility with 60Hz refresh rates in Europe is very high (especially for things like video games), and DVB I believe allows for 60fps for quite a bit of content.

I notice how sports on tv and their graphics are so much smoother compared to the news graphics...

KTVO (ABC) in Kirksville, Mo. and WWMT (CBS) in Kalamazoo both used logos in the late '80s thru the mid-'90s that were very similar to the former KSNV logo. While I agree that the new KSNV logo is generic, I never was a big fan of the old KSNV logo, as I thought the bottom part of the "3" was oversized. The former KTVO and WWMT "3"s were a little more proportionate.

http://www.heartlandconnection.com/about/about.aspx?id=45429

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WWMT

At least it's not hideous, but i miss the old "3" already.

This is beginning to be a trend for them. KGAN, KDBC and now KSNV have redesigned their logos in a simiar fashion.

It makes me wonder how much longer stations like WEAR are going to keep their logo. At least these newer logos aren't abominations like the ones launched on WNWO and WXLV.

Off-topic but why is the KSNV bug on newscasts as tall as Sinclair stations with the station bug and Time/Temp bug combined?

I don't know. KDBC does it as well AFAIK. (The font used for 'NEWS' in KDBC's logo is the same as KSNV, that may be why I'm saying that.)

At least it's not hideous, but i miss the old "3" already.

This is beginning to be a trend for them. KGAN, KDBC and now KSNV have redesigned their logos in a simiar fashion.

It makes me wonder how much longer stations like WEAR are going to keep their logo. At least these newer logos aren't abominations like the ones launched on WNWO and WXLV.

KDBC's new logo isn't bad...it's actually a huge improvement over what they had. On the other hand, KGAN's new logo is awful.

Honestly, none of these logos are that bad. They are boring and cookie cutter for sure, but they are clean. I know nothing about graphic design, so forgive me if this sounds dumb, but I feel like maybe it was easier (cough cough cheaper) to just make a new logo (that took 15 minutes TOPS to make) than to recreate the old more complicated logo in the new graphics package.

Honestly, none of these logos are that bad. They are boring and cookie cutter for sure, but they are clean. I know nothing about graphic design, so forgive me if this sounds dumb, but I feel like maybe it was easier (cough cough cheaper) to just make a new logo (that took 15 minutes TOPS to make) than to recreate the old more complicated logo in the new graphics package.

Well after tripling the size of the company over the last three years, this makes perfect sense especially when $$$$ comes into play.

Although this is taking standardization to another level as even the LOGOS are being changed. Other groups have either launched graphics while not touching the logo or made minor cosmetic changes to it to make it go along with the particular "look".

...and it may just be a matter of opinion, plain and simple. When you do 180s on stations like KSNV and WJLA, you have a unique "3" and a Circle 7. Had WJLA had their older "circle 7", they may have gotten an upgrade in their look...

It makes me wonder how much longer stations like WEAR are going to keep their logo.

I don't see that happening anytime soon. The day they retire the bird in the 3 logo (which has been a fixture for who knows how long) will be a sad day in the Mobile/Pensacola market.

Well after tripling the size of the company over the last three years, this makes perfect sense especially when $$$$ comes into play.

Although this is taking standardization to another level as even the LOGOS are being changed. Other groups have either launched graphics while not touching the logo or made minor cosmetic changes to it to make it go along with the particular "look".

...and it may just be a matter of opinion, plain and simple. When you do 180s on stations like KSNV and WJLA, you have a unique "3" and a Circle 7. Had WJLA had their older "circle 7", they may have gotten an upgrade in their look...

It could also have been a perception that the logo was outdated. I bet you most owners would have changed the logo after buying the station from IWCC.

Not that a flat-top 3 can't look good (I just did a KSNV logo mock that I think is an appropriate update) but I am unfortunately not a TV design consultant.

They also tweaked the logo (the "4" isn't curved like the old one)

WTVC in Chattanooga also puts their talent in the open.

I knew something looked off about that "4". Thanks for helping me out with that because it was driving me crazy.

Off-topic but why is the KSNV bug on newscasts as tall as Sinclair stations with the station bug and Time/Temp bug combined?

I think it had to do with the size and layout of the logo. This updated logo is more square/vertical than a horizontal logo where they probably couldn't scale it down with out making it illegible.

By now, WEAR's logo has fallen into the "If it ain't broke..." category, seeing as how it's kept it's basic form for almost 30 years, and remains largely unchanged since the late 1990s other than shading, coloring and the evolution of ABC's logo.

But you have to wonder once WEAR (and WPMI) get the new look if there's going to be some tweaks in the branding....maybe WPMI will be the victim by droping the "Local 15" brand and going back to "NBC 15".

In the early 2000's I thought WEAR was channel 13. Will be interesting to see what they do with it.

How many stations are left for the change?

There's also WMBB over in Panama City which had a similar bird-like logo from the early 80s until 1995 or so...

Aside from WEAR and WLOS, there's a lot of acquisitions that are still status quo, but it may be several years before everyone gets upgraded....if they get upgraded. Seeing as how quickly they moved on WJLA, its a certainty, but it may be much longer on the smaller stations or stations like KOMO which remains status quo, and KATU, which has only adopted the music so far...

Archived