The Sinclair-ization thread

tyrannical bastard

First post here in a while but here goes:

WOAI and KABB are now using the widescreen version of the package. The only difference really are the lower third and bugs, which now match what most of the other sister stations are using. Fortunately they only use the ticker in the mornings on both stations. The ticker now matches what most of the other stations use as well. That nasty ticker that was used on KABB is now gone. The L-Bar they use now looks similar to what WBFF has. I will get some updated videos on my YouTube channel next week.

Personally, I find the lower thirds a lot harder to read than previously.

For now, these caps will do:

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ick, that is pretty bad. I don't have any examples, but it reminds me of when WISH-TV (not a Sinclair station, but I'm using it as an example) first switched to their current L3 and the time and temperature were squeezed and stretched to the point of unreadbility (unless you kinda squinted). An example is about 20-30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2d442bk_kE

Ick, that is pretty bad. I don't have any examples, but it reminds me of when WISH-TV (not a Sinclair station, but I'm using it as an example) first switched to their current L3 and the time and temperature were squeezed and stretched to the point of unreadbility (unless you kinda squinted). An example is about 20-30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2d442bk_kE

I only get to watch it from their livestream, and there they use the L bar with a bug but without time and hemp.

At least these new 16x9 incarnations APPEAR to have respect for the 4x3 safe zone. SD viewers do lose out on any station branding, time & temp, but at least they're not partially cut off the screen. For the select few who still have 4x3 SD, they may run into action safe issues, but you would have thought by now that all SD feeds would use the letterbox 16x9 instead of dealing with the main picture...

• 1 month later...
First post here in a while but here goes:

WOAI and KABB are now using the widescreen version of the package. The only difference really are the lower third and bugs, which now match what most of the other sister stations are using. Fortunately they only use the ticker in the mornings on both stations. The ticker now matches what most of the other stations use as well. That nasty ticker that was used on KABB is now gone. The L-Bar they use now looks similar to what WBFF has. I will get some updated videos on my YouTube channel next week.

Personally, I find the lower thirds a lot harder to read than previously.

For now, these caps will do:

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

Atleast they have some how discovered to remove the two ticker bands below the main chyron. WBFF leaves them up with nothing on them for certain shows. It looks a bit weird when the lines are two different shades of white?

the KRCG open with the graphics, it's nothing special

http://krcgtv.com/news/local/krcg-13-launches-new-high-tech-studio

The article says the set is from Devlin. It's more like their low-budget sets they've launched in smaller markets with some Devlin touches here and there.

As soon as WKRC gets on to a temp set, it's probably a safe bet that Sinclair-i-zation will follow. Their look and set dates back to 2009, it was the first Newport station to go HD at the time. It may be wise to get it done this year while the political money is still flowing...

WPBN/WTOM in Traverse City and WEYI in Flint have had the weather graphics for months now but everything else is still their old crappy whatever versions of graphics/sets... I'm surprised they've been allowed to do that for this long... I believe they got them in October? WWMT switched everything over in one foul swoop... They just need an updated set.. but irks me to no end when I see 2 versions of graphics being used -- so tacky

WPBN/WTOM in Traverse City and WEYI in Flint have had the weather graphics for months now but everything else is still their old crappy whatever versions of graphics/sets... I'm surprised they've been allowed to do that for this long... I believe they got them in October? WWMT switched everything over in one foul swoop... They just need an updated set.. but irks me to no end when I see 2 versions of graphics being used -- so tacky

On the opposite of the coin, the same can be said of WRGB. Sinclair gave them the standard issue Devlin set but also gave them tacky looking graphics which came right before the current Sinclair look was released. Seriously, I wonder if they were the runner-up package for the entire group.

�KEYE has been using some different-looking graphics for their traffic reports recently. Anyone know if these are stock graphics from their software package that they've plugged the DIN font into, �something from Sinclair, or something else entirely?

[MEDIA=twitter]733757992630398976[/MEDIA]

�KEYE has been using some different-looking graphics for their traffic reports recently. Anyone know if these are stock graphics from their software package that they've plugged the DIN font into, �something from Sinclair, or something else entirely?

[MEDIA=twitter]733757992630398976[/MEDIA]

wow just wow... Hearst much? Actually it looks fine but I'd like the edges to be sharp

KOKH switched to the widescreen-friendly L3s and ticker on Wednesday (June 1). The time/temp bug used for Living Oklahoma (which is just the show's title logo, with the time and temperature rendered in Arial with no background) was accidentally shown within the 4:3 safe area for a few seconds on the day the L3s were adopted, with a smaller version (which does not look to be displayed properly on the left wing of the screen) being introduced a day later.

Strangely, the forecast bar on the news/weather ticker now only shows a daypart forecast, whereas it also featured a three-day outlook and regional current conditions before.

It's a market 200-worthy look...it's esp. sad when their competitors (KOMU and KMIZ) have decent looks for a market that size. It's amateur hour over there.

it's also amateur hour at KOMU using Mizzou J-School students as cheap labor, CS1950 never got them to strike like the football team

Archived