The Sinclair-ization thread

tyrannical bastard

KGAN has also used the new weather graphics, but still using the old graphics as their main ones.

Wow...even beating out WLOS and WEAR. Both stations STILL are on the old look with ALL of the old graphics and Daily News. What could be the holdup!?!?!?!?

They were two of the first Sinclair stations to go HD back in 2008 while the others are either in close proximity to corporate's grasp (WBFF), recieved later HD upgrades (WCHS, KGME, WZTV, WTVC, etc....), or just well received in their graces (like WSYX).

I could see WEAR and WPMI switching close to each other since they're in the same market, but WLOS's lack of change is a head scratcher.....

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "next generation" of Devlin sets (are they really Devlins?) is noticeably stripped down from what their legacy stations have been getting. The cost of upgrading a lot smaller stations necessitated this.

...but compared to how they were treated by Barrington, it's a VAST improvement.

They got the first 8 minutes up on their article about it

http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/story.aspx?id=1187616

Although, I noticed they aren't using the "box" bugs like everyone else with these graphics, which doesn't look too bad, actually. In fact, the time/temp seems to be unchanged from the previous graphics, so its noticeably tacky looking (if they wanted to keep it like that, why didn't they at least make it use the same font?). But those animations on the L3's look pretty slick, which must mean they are using something with some level of sophistication.

This "next generation" of Devlin sets (are they really Devlins?) is noticeably stripped down from what their legacy stations have been getting. The cost of upgrading a lot smaller stations necessitated this.

...but compared to how they were treated by Barrington, it's a VAST improvement.

Well I can tell you that WOAI got a set like this not because of costs but because their new space is VERY small. In fact they don't even have an on-camera weather center like KVII does. I would guess KVII got a set like this because of costs. It's not all that surprising since WOAI's GM John Seabers oversees all of Sinclair's Texas stations in his role as group manager.

I'm also curious about why KVII got the talent opens while KABB and WOAI still don't have them. They're very nice looking...

They got the first 8 minutes up on their article about it

http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/story.aspx?id=1187616

Although, I noticed they aren't using the "box" bugs like everyone else with these graphics, which doesn't look too bad, actually. In fact, the time/temp seems to be unchanged from the previous graphics, so its noticeably tacky looking (if they wanted to keep it like that, why didn't they at least make it use the same font?). But those animations on the L3's look pretty slick, which must mean they are using something with some level of sophistication.

I agree with you on the tacky looking bug. I'd rather they use the "box" bugs than...whatever the heck they're using now.

KEYE debuted Curves today, here's a screenshot of their open. They're also in full 16:9, so no SD safe graphics.

http://i.imgur.com/Rdny5aN

Beat me to it. I just saw the first use of the Sinclair look a few minutes ago on their Twitter feed and rushed over here.

Interestingly, across town, KXAN appears to also be launching some graphics updates today (or, at least, the "upper third" identifying their VIPIR radar system is different now from what it was a few hours ago.)

Why did they do that? The "2" that KGAN had was perfectly fine.

Agreed. That new logo sucks, and the old one was way better. They should have used the same font WLOS used to make their "13", but they chose a wide 2 and squished and stretched it.....yeecccch!

If they were looking for a "2" logo to rip off, they could have used KUTV's!!!

Guest NewsHound

I just realized something, could it be possible that these graphics were designed by the Gannett's G3? Note the similarities between this package and the current Gannett package, there's a few.

I guess that would explain why it looks so... Not from this country. I wouldn't say euro but it looks like it was formatted for PAL instead of NTSC.

What differences would there be for PAL vs ATSC other than different resolutions and frame rate? But would this matter given the fact everything's digital - even though there are two different standards ATSC vs DVB?

Archived