BREAKING: Sun News Network Shutting Down

Action Newsroom

Thanks to some indirect tweets from my friends on Twitter (none of them news websites, just regular people I follow), I learned that Sun News Network is shutting down tomorrow. A deal to acquire and reboot the network failed.

Here an article from another Canadian news outlet--CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sun-news-network-to-shut-down-permanently-sources-1.2955664

Glad to see Sun News Network have its end. Would have never watched it, if I lived in Canada. But for sure I thought that Moses Znamier would buy it so that we can see the original "CityPulse"-stylized format again on that channel and be renamed from the horrible (IMO) "Sun News" name.

Other than that, glad its over now. Time to watch CBC News Network or CTV News Channel, I guess. :)

Wow, what a flop THAT was.

They severely overestimated the market's appetite for a Canadian version of Fox News.

Sun News blames the CRTC for not forcing cable companies to provide it on a basic tier but the reality is that people just weren't tuning in even if they were able to.

They severely overestimated the market's appetite for a Canadian version of Fox News.

Sun News blames the CRTC for not forcing cable companies to provide it on a basic tier but the reality is that people just weren't tuning in even if they were able to.

They were already available in 5.1 million homes but were only attracting about 8,000 viewers on average. wow.

The sad thing is, they had nicer graphics than FOX News.

What a strange shutdown, running promos right up until the very end. I guess they thought there'd be a miracle at the last minute.

I wonder what this says about the future of the US' own FNC Clone "One America News".

What a strange shutdown, running promos right up until the very end. I guess they thought there'd be a miracle at the last minute.

I wonder what this says about the future of the US' own FNC Clone "One America News".

Nothing, yet. Given their demographics, however, I'd bet their viewership figures will begin to go down in a few years.

This is what you get when you have newspaper people running a television station.

At least with FOX News, which everyone compares SNN to, they knew how to make good television - even if the opinions themselves were awful, the production values were not. Plus their newsgathering teams had TV news experience and had the right equipment to do the job. SNN, on the other hand, used newspaper reporters on TV, gave them crappy Handicams to shoot their stories with, and the general look and production values were not as sophisticated as their competition.

The last bit of irony is that SNN is blaming the free market for their demise. This from a group of people who hold the free market in such high regard. They wanted mandatory carriage on cable, but was refused. So the regular ruled that Sun News MUST be available to cable and satellite customers, but as an a-la-carte channel or part of a news channel package for extra $.

Having said all this, I feel bad for the behind the scenes producers, reporters, camera operators, editors, writers, etc who lost their jobs.

Honest Question:

Does One America even have advertising? Because every time I flip past it, they're playing an old political speech in place of where you would expect an ad to play.]

Only direct response from what I've seen

I assume the master control operator (assuming they have one overnight) may have felt jilted and thought since they are all out of the job it wouldn't matter if they didn't update the rundown. Then again this would be unprofessional.

Hey News Alert, AJZM has halted production in the morning blocks and MSNBC has logged the worst ratings over a decade and even TWC is beating them on some dayparts.

But of course, some people just can't tolerate a network that doesn't align to their views, and gawd forbid not even have the presence to have a network. I don't (and never said) or question MSNBC's future or suggested AJZM should go off the air, because I don't agree with their views, I just choose by my remote.

Let people eat cake for gawd sakes. This is still a free country, right?

Honestly, I'm still hoping that AJAM will shift more towards AJE in the future.

As for One America News, believe it or not, I actually like them. Sure, their two evening opinion programs feel like cheap ripoffs of the ones on Fox News, but they air pure news the rest of the time. If they could fix up their shoddy production values and ripoff FNC graphics, I'd watch it a lot more often.

Hey News Alert, AJZM has halted production in the morning blocks and MSNBC has logged the worst ratings over a decade and even TWC is beating them on some dayparts.

But of course, some people just can't tolerate a network that doesn't align to their views, and gawd forbid not even have the presence to have a network. I don't (and never said) or question MSNBC's future or suggested AJZM should go off the air, because I don't agree with their views, I just choose by my remote.

Let people eat cake for gawd sakes. This is still a free country, right?

AJE grossly overpaid for Current's assets, and Al Gore and Joel Hyatt laughed all the way to the bank.

AJUSA was a superfluous offering. It was obvious from the start that they SHOULD have been running AJE instead of creating another specialty news channel that would struggle to find any audience.

There is a finite market for cable news consumption.

AJE grossly overpaid for Current's assets, and Al Gore and Joel Hyatt laughed all the way to the bank.

AJUSA was a superfluous offering. It was obvious from the start that they SHOULD have been running AJE instead of creating another specialty news channel that would struggle to find any audience.

There is a finite market for cable news consumption.

I'd imagine that the overpayment for Current was the result of AJ finally finding a way into the U.S. market after years of being denied by most cable and satellite providers in the country. They just wanted an easy way in, and they found one.

I do agree that AJE should have been the replacement for Current from the start; in fact, quite a few AJE viewers watching online in the U.S. were pissed off when AJE was geoblocked on all legal U.S. streams, and AJAM was geoblocked (AJAM is available online elsewhere in the world, oddly enough).

CHCA-TV in Red Deer shut down in a similar manner, albeit with the staff saying goodbyes over-the-air.

After E! programming** literally ran out, CHCA ran the normal overnight informercial block, then threw it to a test pattern at 4AM local time. Until the transmitter was physically turned off the next day, the station ran the following slate with a dial tone:

Chca_shutdown.png

Someone recorded the final bits of programming on CHCA, but the video was removed a long time ago.

**The E! netlet that was a secondary system to Global, not to be confused with E! Canada.

CHCA-TV in Red Deer shut down in a similar manner, albeit with the staff saying goodbyes over-the-air.

After E! programming** literally ran out, CHCA ran the normal overnight informercial block, then threw it to a test pattern at 4AM local time. Until the transmitter was physically turned off the next day, the station ran the following slate with a dial tone:

Chca_shutdown.png

Someone recorded the final bits of programming on CHCA, but the video was removed a long time ago.

**The E! netlet that was a secondary system to Global, not to be confused with E! Canada.

For everyone who had missed the closure of CHCA-TV, someone had finally reposted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnhPjU2EaDg

The last newscast of CHCA-TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsvU1uDG0JU

CKX-TV, on the other hand, fade to black after last newscast:

CKX-TV, on the other hands, fade to black after last newscasts:

And to tie this all together, Sun News Network had originated as CKXT-TV, a sister station to CKX-TV under the Craig Media umbrella (CKXT's license was surrendered once the station was converted into Sun News).

And to tie this all together, Sun News Network had originated as CKXT-TV, a sister station to CKX-TV under the Craig Media umbrella (CKXT's license was surrendered once the station was converted into Sun News).

And now that Sun News has failed, it more likely won't convert back to an Independent Television Station as CKXT-TV for Sun TV or Toronto One. In other words, CKXT-TV was part of a bad end of the deal. So sad.

Archived