Studio LA Switches Anchors

FJ2000

Fox 11 has made Bob DeCastro and Lauren Silvan anchors of Studio 11 LA at 5pm. Jeff Michael and Christine Devine will do the 10pm news; the statement announcing the switch promised they would contribute to the 5pm broadcast with reports.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/kttv-swaps-evening-anchors/139930

It's interesting to note Jeff Michael's departure from the program, as he was the inaugural anchor. I really liked the in-depth hard news features when they first started. As time went on, they became a more straight-ahead newscast with more infotainment interview segments, but it remained one of my favorite newscasts. I thought Jeff and Christine did pretty well with the format, but it looks like Fox is aiming for "Good Day LA at Night." Meanwhile, I'll try to give the new team a shot.

Jeff Michael has plenty of experience as a anchor and to me he is not weak. Before coming to KTTV, he anchored at KABC and WSVN. Even though he's been at KTTV for 15 years or so, he just doesn't seem to fit in with what the station management has made FOX 11 News into. I do agree with you CalItalian2 that FOX 11 News has lost its way years ago and is a former shell of itself.

Guest Former Member 207

I always thought that Jeff Michael and Susan Hirasuna were a very good weekend team, perhaps better than all of the weekend news teams around town.

Also, add me in the camp of those who think Fox 11 has lost its way...for a station in the #2 market and the flagship station of the Fox network, KTTV sure seems to have a bit of a smaller-market feel to it. I was pretty much a faithful Fox 11 News viewer for years, but my interest is definitely waned over the last couple of years--I pretty much stick to KABC, KTLA, and KNBC for news nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

So what happened with Laura Diaz? Wasn't she anchoring the 5 pm show at one point? I know she left KCBS to start her own company or whatever then resurfaced at KTTV.

When the KTTV cancelled the 6p.m. show, they moved her back to weekends and had the 10p.m. team replace her.

• 1 month later...

Archived