WFSB to Get a New Set

eyewitness_news

I find it interesting how its almost identical to the larger cousin type of cameras.

To add NECN, they had the tiny cams (and they were actually HD) but Comcast did some like Capex spending at the channel around 2012 and got rid of the first generation Autocam peds (going back from launch) and camera to the next generation peds with a bulkier field camera albeit still HD.

What's so wrong about it not being controlled locally if you got a robotic setup? Isn't programs just left alone after programming and calibration?

Some stations may physically like having the ability to breakout from the base for flexibility in use. There are some applications where a robotic camera can't go like during a cooking or fitness demonstration where you want to get in close.

Also some of these box type cameras don't require a costly camera control unit which controls some of the physical setting like the color temperature. The control units then feed the output to the router where these box cameras may directly output an HD-SDI connection.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some stations may physically like having the ability to breakout from the base for flexibility in use. There are some applications where a robotic camera can't go like during a cooking or fitness demonstration where you want to get in close.

Also some of these box type cameras don't require a costly camera control unit which controls some of the physical setting like the color temperature. The control units then feed the output to the router where these box cameras may directly output an HD-SDI connection.

how often does a station go to a local mode? I know that's not an easy question. I'd imagine it could be dangerous if you hit a stick a certain way and the thing could dolly or something worse.

Robotic cameras are tricky to use when you switch it off the network into local mode. They tilt/pan controls don't feel like a normal pedestal, and they like to "run away" from you when trucking. It's almost like they have a mind of their own. The only time I had to do this is if the robotics control system crashed or we were moving the cameras to another studio.

On another note, and I know this will heat some of you up...I could almost bet you wouldn't notice the difference between an $80k camera and a $6k camera in a newscast setting. Obviously sporting events are a different story, but in a well lit studio, I'd challenge anyone to notice.

Robotic cameras are tricky to use when you switch it off the network into local mode. They tilt/pan controls don't feel like a normal pedestal, and they like to "run away" from you when trucking. It's almost like they have a mind of their own. The only time I had to do this is if the robotics control system crashed or we were moving the cameras to another studio.

On another note, and I know this will heat some of you up...I could almost bet you wouldn't notice the difference between an $80k camera and a $6k camera in a newscast setting. Obviously sporting events are a different story, but in a well lit studio, I'd challenge anyone to notice.

I like the Fusion peds, there is manual knobs to fully turn off trucking, drive, or PTZ.

I can see the difference with the $10,000 JVC camcorders with a triax adapter that WMAR uses compared to the mid range Sony (or Panasonic) cameras that WBFF uses. It's almost like night and day. I believe one of the key differences between WMAR and WBFF is that WMAR's camera has a smaller sensor size at 1/3". I've heard that for good broadcast results that at least 1/2" is needed. I can not tell the difference between WJZ and WBAL. WJZ uses the compact box type camera (I believe they are Grass Valley) while WBAL uses Sony's HDC-1400.

I haven't touched a robotic pedestal but I'd venture to say the difference between them and a manual one has to deal with the motor. I think with a robotic pedestal your moving the gear connected to the motor where a manual head would be more fluid. I did see that Ross Video's Furio line of robotics where the pedestals can be controlled with a regular

as opposed to a joystick allowing more natural movements.

Anyway this topic got way off track.

I can see the difference with the $10,000 JVC camcorders with a triax adapter that WMAR uses compared to the mid range Sony (or Panasonic) cameras that WBFF uses. It's almost like night and day. I believe one of the key differences between WMAR and WBFF is that WMAR's camera has a smaller sensor size at 1/3". I've heard that for good broadcast results that at least 1/2" is needed. I can not tell the difference between WJZ and WBAL. WJZ uses the compact box type camera (I believe they are Grass Valley) while WBAL uses Sony's HDC-1400.

I haven't touched a robotic pedestal but I'd venture to say the difference between them and a manual one has to deal with the motor. I think with a robotic pedestal your moving the gear connected to the motor where a manual head would be more fluid. I did see that Ross Video's Furio line of robotics where the pedestals can be controlled with a regular

as opposed to a joystick allowing more natural movements.

Anyway this topic got way off track.

No we were talking about WFSB's downgrade of cameras in their new set. That's not off track. I don't think you needed to mention the obvious, I think we know whats on or off topic. Jeez, I sometimes feel this site is moderated by the Thought Police.....

No we were talking about WFSB's downgrade of cameras in their new set. That's not off track. I don't think you needed to mention the obvious, I think we know whats on or off topic. Jeez, I sometimes feel this site is moderated by the Thought Police.....

First off, rkolsen is not a moderator. Secondly, the current conversation is about the pros and cons of types of camera pedestals and camera sensor size in a thread called "WFSB to get a new set". That's the very definition of "off topic". Now, I could shut it down or break it off, but I don't think it really matters. In my opinion, WFSB's camera setup doesn't need it's own thread. If someone is really interested in talking about this general subject in-depth, they can post in the A/V Club.

And if I wanted to moderate like the "Thought Police" I would have banned baseless hate of Sinclair a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Amazing this topic got this far off track when there was no change to the studio cameras whatsoever at WFSB.

You're right. Those same peds can be seen on the old set in 2012 in this pic https://dennishouse1.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dsc026403.jpg

With carpeted floors, they would have had a hell of a time using standard X-Y robopeds. Pedestals in general don't work well on carpet because their weight makes them hard to move over the soft floor.

A couple of things come to mind:

1) Makes me think of WJZ. If (and at that point, that's a huge "if") and when they finally go to the O&O look and feel, do you think maybe they'll make some version of Enforcer with a Chroma Cues signature worked in? I think if done carefully, that could work. Then again maybe not. Like someone said earlier, they didn't work Advantage into KDKA's theme and they didn't work in the KYW signature in Philly.

2) In the opening, you see how the logo has a background of the city skyline, much like the actual CBS O&O's? How come Meredith didn't do that here at WGCL? The CBS46 logo just has a background of the "blue CBS stuff". Speaking of WGCL, WFSB's new set is almost a carbon copy.

Speaking of WGCL, WFSB's new set is almost a carbon copy.

They are both owned by Meredith Corp. Speaking of, I really like how they canceled the national "Better" show, mainly because JD Roberto was the host; he was the host of the sucky, "megastore" seasons of Shop 'til you Drop.

Archived