WFSB to Get a New Set

eyewitness_news

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contrary to rumors, Advantage has NOT been replaced by Enforcer, rather this is an Advantage update with Enforcer base tracks as Gari is wont to do quite often (see some cuts in Advantage series 3).

Signed, someone in the know.

I do love their 7 day forecast graphic, why can't the O&O's and WGCL can't get it right? (I'm looking at you, WCBS). The set is eh. My only complaint is the bug is not lined up well, lower it down a bit, and have the "wfsb.com" bug rotate with the time.

I think that music package is called "Enforcer with Advantage Signature"

I hope CBS lets up on strictly using Enforcer for most of its O&Os and have KDKA use Enforcer with Advantage Signature. It would be paying good homage to the Group W days of KDKA.

I hope CBS lets up on strictly using Enforcer for most of its O&Os and have KDKA use Enforcer with Advantage Signature. It would be paying good homage to the Group W days of KDKA.

Never in recent history did CBS not allow affiliates to use it. They got Gari to make it exclusive to both the affiliates and O&Os.

How much is anyone wanting to bet the Advantage signature was done in house? It sounds like it was spliced and Series 1 with Enforcer NG4 together. Sounds tacky to me.

It's not spliced.

I'm glad that WFSB didn't do these two things:

1--Go full on Enforcer (no custom signatures) like their Neighboring O&O counterpart, WBZ TV4.

2--Rebrand themselves as "CBS3" ('FSB's satellite sister station in Springfield did that already...)

Overall, the set is close to par with 'BZ's set. (now if they get the GFX to be fluid like TV4's GFX...)

It's not spliced.

I'm glad that WFSB didn't do these two things:

1--Go full on Enforcer (no custom signatures) like their Neighboring O&O counterpart, WBZ TV4.

2--Rebrand themselves as "CBS3" ('FSB's satellite sister station in Springfield did that already...)

Overall, the set is close to par with 'BZ's set. (now if they get the GFX to be fluid like TV4's GFX...)

The "neighboring O&O [like] counterpart" would more likely be WCBS as opposed to WBZ, since there's overlap (in Fairfield/NH counties.) WBZ doesn't overlap anywhere in CT.

That was going to be my next guess.

still a pretty big downgrade from the Vinten Autocam pedestals.

Seems like they ditched the pedestals and decided to go with a high drive dolly connected to those Grass Valley cameras that have a PTZ functionality built in. I'm thinking those cameras must be cheap because they have five of them in their studio, four of which are essentially locked down in the middle because they decided to drop the wires down from the ceiling. It seems to me the studios that go this route typically have five of these grass valley cameras as opposed to going with a Sony "soft" camera which probably is $80,000/each.

Those pedestals do not have a height drive. In fact, in one picture you can see a monitor has been attached to the moving section of the column. They are entirely manual except for a PTZ head. A step back? More like a couple leaps back...

Also, it looks like they're using a shitty VizRT version of the lower thirds...

Seems like they ditched the pedestals and decided to go with a high drive dolly connected to those Grass Valley cameras that have a PTZ functionality built in. I'm thinking those cameras must be cheap because they have five of them in their studio, four of which are essentially locked down in the middle because they decided to drop the wires down from the ceiling. It seems to me the studios that go this route typically have five of these grass valley cameras as opposed to going with a Sony "soft" camera which probably is $80,000/each.

Well I didn't pay attention to the number of cameras, but what's interesting in New Haven, WTNH has AutoCam peds, but use the Grass Valley PTZ, how is that even possible for install, hardware/software compatibility?

WFSB seems to be on the cheap, they built their new studios without going to HD right away, I've found that Meredith isn't fully loyal with WFSB.

Those pedestals do not have a height drive. In fact, in one picture you can see a monitor has been attached to the moving section of the column. They are entirely manual except for a PTZ head. A step back? More like a couple leaps back...

Also, it looks like they're using a s*****y VizRT version of the lower thirds...

Again going back to the idea that Hartford isn't a small market, I don't get the idea of downgrading robots to small production level. With the second hand and refurbished market, I can't get why stations would want to use what WFSB is using now.

I noticed the Viz package, because the Chyron package has a gradient beam going horizontal, and the Viz (WBZ, WFOR, etc.) has that diagonal gradient going on the far left/right of the L3. The fonts make it look crappy though. They need to tweak the fonts to make it look a little better. As someone mentioned earlier, maybe Meredith wanted to stick with an alleged commitment to make KMOV look like an O&O again, and WFSB is a sister CBS affiliate probably easier to streamline.

Also, it looks like they're using a shitty VizRT version of the lower thirds...

It could be worst, they could have actually have bought one of those sub $6,000 Sony PTZ cameras (with a 1/4" sensor) that are used for video conferencing. They could [urlhttp://instagram.com/p/w7EkS1sdx3]mount it on a stick positioned facing a chroma keyed green painted wall which has an outlet in the middle of it[/url] like is the case at NY1.

It could be worst, they could have actually have bought one of those sub $6,000 Sony PTZ cameras (with a 1/4" sensor) that are used for video conferencing. They could [urlhttp://instagram.com/p/w7EkS1sdx3]mount it on a stick positioned facing a chroma keyed green painted wall which has an outlet in the middle of it[/url] like is the case at NY1.

I see those in town council chamber rooms too. What's even more insane is they buy the HD cameras assuming the cable company will put the public access channels in HD but only waste the cable payer's money (those monthly "franchisee fees" you pay for your TV bills.) They must also move the cord cutter/nevers too, coming to think of it.

Not surprise of the case study for NY1, TWC are a bunch of greedy cheapskates and NY1 has NO creditability whatsoever in serious NYC news.

Not to get list-y since it was posted that NY1 had a PTZ camera, well apparently WBIN/NH1 uses the same type for their newscasts, as I spotted this Tweet earlier on.

But generally as I mentioned that pedestals aren't as cost prohibitive then before, I've even seen CCD sizes (like the security camera types) used for studio production. NECN (in the past) used it on their AutoCams and I think WABC's current setup is of that size. is CCDs (or whatever is the proper name) more expensive than say the mentioned PTZ ones?

Not to get list-y since it was posted that NY1 had a PTZ camera, well apparently WBIN/NH1 uses the same type for their newscasts, as I spotted this Tweet earlier on.

But generally as I mentioned that pedestals aren't as cost prohibitive then before, I've even seen CCD sizes (like the security camera types) used for studio production. NECN (in the past) used it on their AutoCams and I think WABC's current setup is of that size. is CCDs (or whatever is the proper name) more expensive than say the mentioned PTZ ones?

Those cameras are generally the same kind as the larger portable or hard cameras just in a smaller package with out some of the added extras. As far as I know of the major manufacturers Sony, Grass Valley and Ikegami all have these box cameras that generally have the same type of sensors as their medium range cameras. Off the top of my head I can think of WJZ, WSB and WABC all use these type of cameras because they are light weight and can fit anywhere. The only downside is that they can't be used portably or controlled locally.

Sony even offers a kit for their top of the line portable studio cameras where the the image sensor can be detached from the body for light weight applications.

Those cameras are generally the same kind as the larger portable or hard cameras just in a smaller package with out some of the added extras. As far as I know of the major manufacturers Sony, Grass Valley and Ikegami all have these box cameras that generally have the same type of sensors as their medium range cameras. Off the top of my head I can think of WJZ, WSB and WABC all use these type of cameras because they are light weight and can fit anywhere. The only downside is that they can't be used portably or controlled locally.

Sony even offers a kit for their top of the line portable studio cameras where the the image sensor can be detached from the body for light weight applications.

I find it interesting how its almost identical to the larger cousin type of cameras.

To add NECN, they had the tiny cams (and they were actually HD) but Comcast did some like Capex spending at the channel around 2012 and got rid of the first generation Autocam peds (going back from launch) and camera to the next generation peds with a bulkier field camera albeit still HD.

What's so wrong about it not being controlled locally if you got a robotic setup? Isn't programs just left alone after programming and calibration?

Archived