Cooper to host CNN game show special/pilot

24994J

Hey, at this point, why not? Going into what will be a long and tedious election season, CNN will be marking Presidents' Day this year with a POTUS-themed quiz show, hosted by none other than the Silver Fox. Currently slated as a one-off special, the untitled project could go to series down the road. As a game show fan, I know I'll check it out.

http://www.buzzerblog.com/2015/01/21/anderson-cooper-to-host-cnn-game-show/

If it's a political (not just presidential) game show akin to Jeopard or pretty straightforward Q&A type of thing, I'd be game for it. But if it goes in a different direction I wouldn't care for it. If it does get picked up as a series I hope that it will only air on weekends.

I do wonder if Anderson is being told to do this or if he volunteered and even came up with the idea. Anderson at one to me seemed like a respectable journalist but with the recent direction his show and CNN have taken made me question his journalism chops.

Well, as the article suggests, this COULD have been a Jeopardy! spin-off, and I'd imagine Coop would've been the top candidate for that role, since (like Dan Patrick on Sports Jeopardy!) his name has been tossed around as an eventual successor to Alex Trebek.

I'm more excited for the reality TV show that will take us inside CNN HQ and show us the room where Jeff Zucker is throwing ---- at the wall and seeing what sticks.

So far: nothing.

I think this has to do with Zucker cutting the quality so he can sell it at a high profit. Exactly what he did at NBCU, cut to the bone, then sold it to Comcast and got a golden parachute deal. At the time, we didn't know why NBC was so worried about profits over ratings or programming.

Zucker is a flipper. Maybe a reality show similar to the flipping houses should be thought of. Flipping Newsrooms be a good idea?

What has happened to CNN? Knowing their executives, this "one-off special" will probably become a full fledged series within a year.

We are no longer in a climate that can support 24 hour news. There are too many apps and websites and video players which can give you the news you need in an instant. CNN has to find ways to attract an audience without relying on politics like Fox/MSNBC or else there will be no CNN. The only reason CNNI hasn't turned into as much of a mess as CNN is because there isn't as much of a proliferation of independent news online internationally. But believe me, that day is coming. And when that day comes, CNN is REALLY screwed unless they make major cuts or play a role in that proliferation which they haven't done so far.

I'm more excited for the reality TV show that will take us inside CNN HQ and show us the room where Jeff Zucker is throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

So far: nothing.

I honestly think a CNN behind the scenes show would be pretty dope. Take viewers into the lives of producers and the people behind the newscasts. Follow Anderson Cooper as he's trying to secure an interview with a high profile newsmaker or follow a reporter trying to get a live shot from a country at war with poor Internet signal or follow a reporter as she's forced to leave her kids at home because she has to cover a breaking news story or follow a reporter embedded with the 2016 presidential candidates or follow Zucker as he's getting the ratings report each week. It would give CNN more of a human face.

The Oprah Winfrey Network's highest rated show when it first launched was a behind the scenes look at The Oprah Show. It could work.

I think this has to do with Zucker cutting the quality so he can sell it at a high profit. Exactly what he did at NBCU, cut to the bone, then sold it to Comcast and got a golden parachute deal. At the time, we didn't know why NBC was so worried about profits over ratings or programming.

Zucker is a flipper. Maybe a reality show similar to the flipping houses should be thought of. Flipping Newsrooms be a good idea?

Zucker wasn't the one who sold NBCU to Comcast... that was GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt who sold off majority control of the conglomerate. As soon as Comcast suits took over, they fired Zucker almost immediately.

Zucker is guilty of sheer incompetence and failing upward while at NBCU... but that's about it.

Zucker wasn't the one who sold NBCU to Comcast... that was GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt who sold off majority control of the conglomerate. As soon as Comcast suits took over, they fired Zucker almost immediately.

Zucker is guilty of sheer incompetence and failing upward while at NBCU... but that's about it.

No, he was directed by the CEO to cut, cut cut for Immelt to sell it to Comcast. You really don't think he was the flipper of NBCU/GE? Don't minimize the story.

We are no longer in a climate that can support 24 hour news. There are too many apps and websites and video players which can give you the news you need in an instant. CNN has to find ways to attract an audience without relying on politics like Fox/MSNBC or else there will be no CNN. The only reason CNNI hasn't turned into as much of a mess as CNN is because there isn't as much of a proliferation of independent news online internationally. But believe me, that day is coming. And when that day comes, CNN is REALLY screwed unless they make major cuts or play a role in that proliferation which they haven't done so far.

Yeah, I think you are giving them an excuse to not fight back to the hipster audience. I know I've used that word so much, so I'll define it, its people that "want to fit in" and be cool but really don't care about the content. By giving in to "too many apps and websites and video players which can give you the news you need" is ludicrous. Many young and dumb people get their news from BuzzFeed, or the Daily Show or some other fictional news entity. They don't even know your local channels let alone the national cable nets. Why go back to the old system where they took risks and made profit if they could kind of mentality? If Bezos and Amazon and WaPo can do it, why can't the others act like spoiled rotten rich brats?

I haven't been CNN's biggest fan for ages, but I think they need to rebrand, focus on their core values much like how CBS News did the same thing after Katie left a mess such as taking off the mascara off the Eye as one example.

No, he was directed by the CEO to cut, cut cut for Immelt to sell it to Comcast. You really don't think he was the flipper of NBCU/GE? Don't minimize the story.

How was Zucker a "flipper" when NBC nearly imploded upon itself in 2009? He was a minion, a hired goon who fell on the sword for Immelt with his self-destructive actions.

I'm not "minimizing the story." I'm calling it as I'm seeing it. And Immelt got off scott free.

We have the first video of 'CNN Quiz Show'. Did someone just go with the working title at the top of the script, or...? Duos Tapper & Camerota, Cuomo & Lemon, and Berman & Burnett will face off for charity. It might be fun, so I'll check it out.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/first-look-at-cnns-quiz-show/255324

Archived