FOX News Channel's Indecisive Graphics Department

Big Country News

Over the past few years, FOX News Channel has literally had hundreds of graphical changes.

Even this morning, I saw two different 'Alert' lower thirds - One during 'Happening Now' and another During 'FOX & Friends First.'

Happening Now:

LGo1qRQ.png

The previous 'Alert' lower thirds were atrocious, so this is an improvement. Either way, FOX News also brought back their lower third design from a few years ago for 'America's News HQ' (I loved these) and they're not even used regularly.

ANHQ:

10937496_1101430916541569_649876506_n.jpg?oh=c7a3cd607606ec823d8301c63eb7acac&oe=54C12F2D&__gda__=1421896653_eb4d4abed6743ca7b868f4ddf1cc6fdb

Let's not even mention the ever-changing ticker. I think a lot of the graphics are actually good, but some are very...bad.

Opinions?

I've always thought Fox News has had horrendous graphics that were incredibly cluttered and claustrophibc, ESPECIALLY the lower thirds. They never seem to be able to design anything simple and uncomplicated, like what msnbc and CNN has. I've also have never been a fan of the scrolling "Alert" graphic that takes up a fourth of the lower third. 1) it's distracting 2) it's too big and 3) why can't it just go on top in a simple bar? If you're going to have it down there like that, do something similar to what msnbc does.

I've always thought Fox News has had horrendous graphics that were incredibly cluttered and claustrophibc, ESPECIALLY the lower thirds. They never seem to be able to design anything simple and uncomplicated, like what msnbc and CNN has. I've also have never been a fan of the scrolling "Alert" graphic that takes up a fourth of the lower third. 1) it's distracting 2) it's too big and 3) why can't it just go on top in a simple bar? If you're going to have it down there like that, do something similar to what msnbc does.

I know FNC isn't the favorite on this board, but I do not like the second screengrab. I've never liked Avant Garde type from the 80s mixed with 45° angle graphics from the 90s.

It's not a matter of clutter, it was how it was executed. FNC had some really nice graphics 10 years ago, you can look it up. But after 2006, they went downhill. They seem to not understand how to use Vizrt or something like that as a CG because ever since 2009 (when they I think fully went away from the Deko) its just been an eyesore!

The early 2000s was I think the best for lower third design, it didn't get rammed in your face, and the Franklin Gothic-like type just had some sexy appeal. In fact I wished they took some of those elements and modernize it for today.

I know FNC isn't the favorite on this board, but I do not like the second screengrab. I've never liked Avant Garde type from the 80s mixed with 45° angle graphics from the 90s.

It's not a matter of clutter, it was how it was executed. FNC had some really nice graphics 10 years ago, you can look it up. But after 2006, they went downhill. They seem to not understand how to use Vizrt or something like that as a CG because ever since 2009 (when they I think fully went away from the Deko) its just been an eyesore!

If I recall correctly Fox News went HD in 2008 but had a side bar similar to CNBC HD+ but then in 2009 every studio and control room was upgraded to HD. I'm guessing some of the graphics were still on the old system but once every control room was updated they switched the system.

I remember hearing some one say that graphic artists are like regular people that when they get a new toy or computer they want to play with it and push the system to its max capabilities even if the end product looks like crap or gimmicky. Remember back in the 2008 elections the networks really used virtual reality studios for the first time and CNN did a hologram? That to me would be the networks playing with their new toys. But then once the novelty wore off during the 2010,2012 and 2014 virtual studios went by the wayside and they started doing augmented reality where graphics popped up in their regular studios. That is when the designers and networks realized that the graphics should add something to the story as opposed to having a virtual House of Representatives floor pop up out of no where.

FOX News is running on a very outdated version of Viz. I remember the version number was mentioned in a job posting I was shown once.

Whatever their problem, it's pretty clear Management is perfectly fine with it. Someone has made the decision that they are going to have the flashiest, ugliest graphics in the world and that when something starts getting remotely stale, they're going to change it.

I can see some management-type person calling up the graphics department demanding the "Alert" graphic be made "more alert-ier" and that it needs to be redder and the word "Alert" needs to be bigger. And make it spin. And flash.

CNN dropped the gimmicks when they realized there was far too much effort being put into them when nobody watching cared.

If I recall correctly Fox News went HD in 2008 but had a side bar similar to CNBC HD+ but then in 2009 every studio and control room was upgraded to HD. I'm guessing some of the graphics were still on the old system but once every control room was updated they switched the system.

I remember hearing some one say that graphic artists are like regular people that when they get a new toy or computer they want to play with it and push the system to its max capabilities even if the end product looks like crap or gimmicky. Remember back in the 2008 elections the networks really used virtual reality studios for the first time and CNN did a hologram? That to me would be the networks playing with their new toys. But then once the novelty wore off during the 2010,2012 and 2014 virtual studios went by the wayside and they started doing augmented reality where graphics popped up in their regular studios. That is when the designers and networks realized that the graphics should add something to the story as opposed to having a virtual House of Representatives floor pop up out of no where.

I think FNC went to a gradual HD. Some programs were in HD circa 2008, some were not. I know Red Eye had the sidebar similar to FBN's HD feed. I think they did the full switch in 2009, then decided to go full HD for everyone later that year. FBN however, gets the full credit for being the first business network from top to bottom HD, which paved the way FNC to go to HD too.

FOX News is running on a very outdated version of Viz. I remember the version number was mentioned in a job posting I was shown once.

Whatever their problem, it's pretty clear Management is perfectly fine with it. Someone has made the decision that they are going to have the flashiest, ugliest graphics in the world and that when something starts getting remotely stale, they're going to change it.

I can see some management-type person calling up the graphics department demanding the "Alert" graphic be made "more alert-ier" and that it needs to be redder and the word "Alert" needs to be bigger. And make it spin. And flash.

CNN dropped the gimmicks when they realized there was far too much effort being put into them when nobody watching cared.

That's pitiful if FNC is using a "very outdated version of Viz." How much would you be willing to bet Fox, FS1, Fox Sports are using a supported version of Viz? Is Roger Ailes that frugal in his budget? One poster said about a year ago that FNC was still using CS3.

I know Viz runs differently than say the Chyron and Deko, but are these atrocious graphics just a sign that maybe people aren't fully skilled in the Viz or they hire really bad graphic artists or focusing more on the DB coders skills?

As a viewer, I can't tell the difference, but if you want to be taken seriously, try to use the graphics in a better way using modern software.

Meanwhile, Fox Business manages to look very sharp. They have a consistent and organized design.

The same can't be said for CNBC. Probably because FBN is "anti-CNBC" which for graphics is a good thing. They pulled FNC's in-your-effin-face approach for years to actually loose more viewers as the markets have gone up. Striking out Adobe licenses to CNBC's budget would happen when cows can fly to the moon. They'll still be high strung and no one will watch it. Since being @ EC, they've gone through I think 5 graphics changes, and FBN has had 2, modified in 2010, changed in 2012, and a modification last week or two ago in their 7 year history.

And FNC's graphics changes in a 10 year period is totaled of CNBC and FBN combined. They need to find talent, I don't understand how they can't find talented people to create sexy but substantial news graphics for cable news.

Maybe their mentality is, as long as we, the gullible fools, swallow it all up, they could have graphics hand drawn by second graders, and people would still tune in.

In the opinion of this news junkie, however, for them to get a radical change in news graphics, they would have to get a radical change in how they approach the news. More straight news, less fear mongering, get rid of the slants, get rid of the condescending attitudes. But that would also mean getting rid of Bill O, Kelly, Hasselback, and Hannity. And we know they would rather be eaten by dingoes 10 times over than do that.

Maybe their mentality is, as long as we, the gullible fools, swallow it all up, they could have graphics hand drawn by second graders, and people would still tune in.

In the opinion of this news junkie, however, for them to get a radical change in news graphics, they would have to get a radical change in how they approach the news. More straight news, less fear mongering, get rid of the slants, get rid of the condescending attitudes. But that would also mean getting rid of Bill O, Kelly, Hasselback, and Hannity. And we know they would rather be eaten by dingoes 10 times over than do that.

No, the radical change ought to be in the daytime. Primetime, people know what they are getting. IMO Hasselbeck isn't as ditzy or as overly compassionate/emotiional about little people lossing their homes or live as Gretchen Carlson, Martha McCallum or Kimberly Gulfolyle. The Fox News Live days, or the newswheel or personality focused (The Live Desk, ED Hill's program I'm forgetting, maybe Mrs. Roger Goodell may have to return to FNC in some capicity, etc) would be a nice step.

FBN is unwatchable for me when they axed the wheel block (11-3) You want to talk about getting rid of Stuart Varney, or worse Deidre Boulton, she more condescending, and verbally assaults peoples IQ on the air (see her interview with Kerri Walsh a couple Fridays ago), I'd feel awkward. She had fine career at Bloomberg, she shouldn't ever been welcomed to FBN,

*end of a Channel 2 Editorial*

• 3 months later...

Lately I've been noticing more changes to FNC's graphics. They're starting to extend the L3's text all the way across the screen and put the show title above the text. I could only find this new graphic style on a few shows, and I'm not sure if I like it too much. But, hey, could they be moving towards something more consistent?

woudnvO.png

vCROSvD.png

YDD6E6T.png

UxQqN4k.png

Well, something new has come...and I think it's a good thing.

I like this. It looks cleaner than the last package and they don't smash everything together with layers of effects.

And apparently, consistency is key, and the key is finally unlocking the road to overall better graphics.

And that's all I have for that. This package is way better, but I wouldn't start a celebration just yet...

Yeah, my guess is that in a few weeks' time, these will either be tinkered with or completely replaced. It is stunning how often they make changes to their graphics.

not to mention they have always kept FOX News Channel and Fox Business channel's graphics at a consistent 60FPS. unlike CNN's 30FPS graphic openers.

not to mention they have always kept FOX News Channel and Fox Business channel's graphics at a consistent 60FPS. unlike CNN's 30FPS graphic openers.

I'm curious how can you tell that CNN's are 30FPS?

• 8 months later...

This is a bump, but...

Election season is really ramping up now, and FNC seems as inconsistent as ever with their lower thirds.

Exhibit 1: Not a fan of this style at all.

[MEDIA=twitter]693455463971733506[/MEDIA]

Exhibit 2: Ewwwww... no, just no.

CZ_gom7XEAAsb4x.jpg

(via https://twitter.com/angelamcglowan/)

Exhibit 3: Now, this has got potential. Actually, these L3s might be the best I've seen from them. Nice, compact, and very clean for FNC.

[MEDIA=twitter]693479910195748865[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]693524986947112960[/MEDIA]

If they would just get behind this design (and maybe just extend the bar all the way across the screen, behind the bug), they'd be good.

This is a bump, but...

Election season is really ramping up now, and FNC seems as inconsistent as ever with their lower thirds.

Not surprising. But...

Exhibit 3: Now, this has got potential. Actually, these L3s might be the best I've seen from them. Nice, compact, and very clean for FNC.

[MEDIA=twitter]693479910195748865[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]693524986947112960[/MEDIA]

If they would just get behind this design (and maybe just extend the bar all the way across the screen, behind the bug), they'd be good.

I definitely agree. These could be the best the graphics department ever made. No clutter, clean colors and effects, and readable words. If they can keep this look, I would definitely more than tolerate them.

Also, yeah, these L3s do need to stretch across the screen. They look so weird and clumsy if they don't stop at the safe zone.

• 3 months later...

FNC tweeted a recording from the White House Correspondents Dinner that seems to have been recorded straight out of the control room, before the bug and ticker were inserted. So you get to see parts of the lower third graphics that usually get hidden behind things. For example, you can see some weird spinning half-circle behind the lower third.

[MEDIA=twitter]726602330523619328[/MEDIA]

It's not a real great practice to just assume the bug is going to be there to cover up your rough edges, because then things like this happen and it looks bad.

What they should do is adopt those lower thirds. The globe could be smaller (or not there at all) otherwise those look pretty nice.

Those lower thirds are remnants of the old design.

Only shows like Special Report or The Greg Gutfeld Show (Where the screencap was from) still use them.

Archived