ABC The View

BehindNYNews

Even if the lady was still in charge of daytime Joy came back when the show was transferred to the news division.

Anne Sweeney was her name. IIRC, she left way before Behar returned. The View was moved to the news division a few months before Joy came back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I forget was Joy "let go" originally or did she decide to leave on her own. I really like the days she moderates and enjoyed her HLN and Current TV shows.

She left own her own because she got her own show. 1st on HLN and then she got another show on Current TV.

She was let go, although it was made to look like it was on her on accord. The head of ABC Daytime at that time made the decision to get rid of Joy and Elizabeth. I forget that woman's name, but Joy has mentioned before what really led to her exit. Of course, that lady is no longer at the network...

The story I heard was that Joy wanted to leave on her own, and she wasn't coming back. ABC is heavy on research and focus groups and the research said that audience didn't care for Elisabeth Hasselbeck. So ABC felt it needed to get rid of Elisabeth, but ABC was hesitant about letting Joy go. There was some pressure that they didn't want the show to be too liberal or too conservative. At the end ABC said let them both leave at the end of their contract to usher them out.

Brian Frons was the head of ABC Daytime 2002-2011; but when All My Children & One Life to Live got the boot. Many people wonder what was the state of the daytime dept. Brian left, many people hated him for the slaughter of the (2) soaps. Vikki Dummer, came in follow by Lisa Hackner now Rebecca Campbell...However make note Anne Sweeney wanted to kill all 3 soaps on ABC at the same time. However this could be The View last season as well too.

She left own her own because she got her own show. 1st on HLN and then she got another show on Current TV.

The story I heard was that Joy wanted to leave on her own, and she wasn't coming back. ABC is heavy on research and focus groups and the research said that audience didn't care for Elisabeth Hasselbeck. So ABC felt it needed to get rid of Elisabeth, but ABC was hesitant about letting Joy go. There was some pressure that they didn't want the show to be too liberal or too conservative. At the end ABC said let them both leave at the end of their contract to usher them out.

Brian Frons was the head of ABC Daytime 2002-2011; but when All My Children & One Life to Live got the boot. Many people wonder what was the state of the daytime dept. Brian left, many people hated him for the slaughter of the (2) soaps. Vikki Dummer, came in follow by Lisa Hackner now Rebecca Campbell...However make note Anne Sweeney wanted to kill all 3 soaps on ABC at the same time. However this could be The View last season as well too.

There are a few articles out there that reported that Joy leaving was not her choice. I believe that even Barbara admitted as much when a publication interviewed her. Basically Barbara said that the head honchos at ABC felt that if Elisabeth had to leave, then so did Joy. IIRC, Joy was doing her comedy tour/show from various theaters during her hiatus, and she spoke about why she really left the show. Also, Joy already had her show on HLN while on The View. Those additional jobs did not interfere with her employment at ABC.

Yeah, it seemed like both Joy and Elisabeth were cut due to their political polarities that were deemed negative by focus groups. This was around the time The Talk was gaining traction and The View was sliding down in the ratings, so they decided to go fluffy for the next season, but that was obviously the wrong decision when they picked Jenny McCarthy. Barbara seemed to have a knack of making "real" reasons for why her co-hosts were leaving, especially when the media caught wind of it and she would deny what was being reported, such as the exit hoopla of Star Jones. Lisa Ling's reason of leaving was because she left to go on to host the National Geographic show on MSNBC, but I feel like she was forced out because of comments about September 11 and how that was deemed unpatriotic and un-American by focus groups and sponsors, this was around the same the Bill Maher was forced out from Politically Incorrect when he had stinging comments about September 11 as well. Joy pretty much told the public she wanted time off even though she was able to juggle her professional life pretty well and Elisabeth announced that she was going to leap into the Fox News fest even though she had limited news-journalistic experience, and her stint on Fox & Friends didn't last long.

Next season, I wonder if they will give the moderator position to Joy, she performs with ease during After The View, but I wonder if the network and producers have other plans. I would love to see Meredith back, but I feel like NBC News has become her home, so I really doubt she'll go back to The View. Personally, I would be in the group that would like to see Rosie O back, but she'll most likely want to become the moderator of the show and have creative control, which created headaches a couple seasons ago. Deborah Roberts would be my safe bet since she already with ABC News and has done well as a guest co-host, I'd also add Juju Chang too as someone else who would seem good for The View. I personally believe in the media reports that Raven, Candace and Paula will eventually phased out sometime this season, it's way obvious that Sunny and Jedidiah will be sliding into their seats fulltime and they finally found the right panel chemistry, the discussions have been great this season when they are on with Sara, Joy and Whoopi.

• Like 4

Yeah, it seemed like both Joy and Elisabeth were cut due to their political polarities that were deemed negative by focus groups. This was around the time The Talk was gaining traction and The View was sliding down in the ratings, so they decided to go fluffy for the next season, but that was obviously the wrong decision when they picked Jenny McCarthy. Barbara seemed to have a knack of making "real" reasons for why her co-hosts were leaving, especially when the media caught wind of it and she would deny what was being reported, such as the exit hoopla of Star Jones. Lisa Ling's reason of leaving was because she left to go on to host the National Geographic show on MSNBC, but I feel like she was forced out because of comments about September 11 and how that was deemed unpatriotic and un-American by focus groups and sponsors, this was around the same the Bill Maher was forced out from Politically Incorrect when he had stinging comments about September 11 as well. Joy pretty much told the public she wanted time off even though she was able to juggle her professional life pretty well and Elisabeth announced that she was going to leap into the Fox News fest even though she had limited news-journalistic experience, and her stint on Fox & Friends didn't last long.

Next season, I wonder if they will give the moderator position to Joy, she performs with ease during After The View, but I wonder if the network and producers have other plans. I would love to see Meredith back, but I feel like NBC News has become her home, so I really doubt she'll go back to The View. Personally, I would be in the group that would like to see Rosie O back, but she'll most likely want to become the moderator of the show and have creative control, which created headaches a couple seasons ago. Deborah Roberts would be my safe bet since she already with ABC News and has done well as a guest co-host, I'd also add Juju Chang too as someone else who would seem good for The View. I personally believe in the media reports that Raven, Candace and Paula will eventually phased out sometime this season, it's way obvious that Sunny and Jedidiah will be sliding into their seats fulltime and they finally found the right panel chemistry, the discussions have been great this season when they are on with Sara, Joy and Whoopi.

Spot on. If anyone caught Meredith's appearance yesterday, she looked at ease at the table, and meshed well with the ladies in the time she was on. I think it was no coincidence that she stayed on for After The View. I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted to bring Meredith back next season. They kind of almost need someone of her caliber to come on and keep the show afloat in some ways. Like or her or not, Whoopi brings that name/star power with her and even though she's a polarizing figure- to a certain extent, she does bring in a good chunk of viewers. Maybe they could offer Meredith the Barbara Walters role- journalist, a few appearances during the week, etc. That way, she gets flexibility to do other projects but still has a regular on-air gig, and Joy gets to moderate. I would argue that they should keep Candace, and let her keep her schedule/flexibility, add Meredith and it would make Whoopi's eventual departure easier to handle for the show.

I like the panel of Whoopi, Sunny, Joy, Sarah, and Jedediah. I like Raven too.

If Whooping decides to no renew her contract, It'd be great to have Meredith back.

And I'd LOVE Rosie O back. After all the controversy and hoopla, it's gotta be somewhat satisfying to her that Trump has proven her comments right.

I like the panel of Whoopi, Sunny, Joy, Sarah, and Jedediah. I like Raven too.

If Whooping decides to no renew her contract, It'd be great to have Meredith back.

And I'd LOVE Rosie O back. After all the controversy and hoopla, it's gotta be somewhat satisfying to her that Trump has proven her comments right.

No way in hell they bring Rosie back. Her problems at The View weren't just with Whoopi and Elisabeth, she had issues with staff members behind the scenes, and I doubt they'd want her back anyhow. Can you imagine Rosie on a panel with Candace and Jedediah? Nuclear war X1000. And I like Rosie, etc. But, her time on The View has come and gone. She's better off doing a solo show where she can be the only star and have full control over how to format it.

• Like 3

No way in hell they bring Rosie back. Her problems at The View weren't just with Whoopi and Elisabeth, she had issues with staff members behind the scenes, and I doubt they'd want her back anyhow. Can you imagine Rosie on a panel with Candace and Jedediah? Nuclear war X1000. And I like Rosie, etc. But, her time on The View has come and gone. She's better off doing a solo show where she can be the only star and have full control over how to format it.

Rosie should try out for The Apprentice...if the Donald comes back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Raven Simone is leaving The View at the end of the year. She will remain with the Disney company and starring / executive producing a spin off of That's So Raven.

The new show will feature Raven as a single mother raising two kids.

Raven Simone is leaving The View at the end of the year. She will remain with the Disney company and starring / executive producing a spin off of That's So Raven.

The new show will feature Raven as a single mother raising two kids.

Glad to see her back on a sitcom, she's so great in that medium.

And then there were seven, though Paula has become more of an alternate and has said on Twitter that GMA is her primary job.

Also, there's a promo announcing that The View will have a live election night special on Lifetime.

Glad to see her back on a sitcom, she's so great in that medium.

And then there were seven, though Paula has become more of an alternate and has said on Twitter that GMA is her primary job.

Also, there's a promo announcing that The View will have a live election night special on Lifetime.

Just checked my TiVo The View: Lifetime Election Day will air from 9:00 - 11:30pm.

Just checked my TiVo The View: Lifetime Election Day will air from 9:00 - 11:30pm.

I wonder if Whoopi will partake in the Election day special, or will she sit it out due to her contract allowing her a reduced schedule. This would actually be a good time to have all 8 panelists together- One last time, before Raven flies away and takes a little time to enjoy The View.

• Like 1

I wonder if Whoopi will partake in the Election day special, or will she sit it out due to her contract allowing her a reduced schedule. This would actually be a good time to have all 8 panelists together- One last time, before Raven flies away and takes a little time to enjoy The View.

I would be surprised if she is there. Seems like Joy said she will be there along with Jed, Sara and Raven. Paula said she'll be part of ABC's election coverage. I'm guessing the fifth spot would go to Sunny or Candace.

• Like 1

With Raven Baxter High School super powers at 30yrs old with kids. That view will be on The Disney Channel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Good. Once Sunny and Jenadiah came on, there was no need for Raven and her. Now the next person they need to get rid of/leave is Paula.

Paula has already been cut down to once a week- if that. Also, you can tell who's going to be at the desk the next day during the previous days promos. So, it looks like Sunny and Paula will be on tomorrow.

Edit: I should add that now that Paula has had her appearances reduced, when she is on, she's made it a point to be extra annoying/contrarian. I keep hoping for Whoopi to cut her to shreds, but surprisingly, she's holding herself back.

• Like 3

With the revolving doors of co-hosts of the view, in my opinion to ABC is this... either pull the plug on the show or move it to Lifetime Television and get it the hell over with.

Yeah plus didn't Whoppi say she was moving to Canada if Trump won? (Kidding obviously) but yeah something needs to be done to keep continuity.. they will eventually loose viewers if not

With the revolving doors of co-hosts of the view, in my opinion to ABC is this... either pull the plug on the show or move it to Lifetime Television and get it the hell over with.

Why should they? ABC is still making boatloads of money from the show, and the ratings have gone up- mostly during the election, but then again The View's ratings gains have always been cyclical.

And, FYI, this is exactly what the suits at ABC wanted. 8 co-hosts was too much, but in order to have that continuity/familiarity, they kept everyone around with the hopes that some of them would get other projects and leave on their own. Again, this was the plan all along... Now that Raven, and Candace are leaving and Paula down to 3-4 appearances per month, they're at 5 permanent co-hosts--and they actually work pretty well together.

I'd also venture that they could keep the show going long after Whoopi leaves. Maybe they could entice Meredith to come back... A few million a year might peak her interest.

• Like 4

They started the season with eight ladies. Two are out the door and one might not be far behind, which leaves five. The 5 that would remain strike me as a more solid team than in recent seasons, one that could last for a decent stretch of time with little turnover...if they're given a chance to gel more.

• Like 2

I'm a little relieved Candace is gone. She has gotten better over time, but you can really tell that she was out of her league when it came to political discussions. And I said it from the beginning, there was no way for her to stay long term since her family is on the other side of the country and Fuller House is taped in LA, it's quite a distance but I give her kudos to her for being able to juggle her career for the last year and a half.

Raven's and Candace's exit were always part of this elaborate phasing out plan that was reported on the Daily Mail a few months ago. One can speculate that Paula is next though her role has become more of an alternate and she tends to show up when appropriate, like the day Tim Tebow showed up. Just like Candace, she hasn't really brought the right elements to the table and it has made for some jittery and awkward moments, she tries too hard to play devil's advocate and I don't really believe she really feels what she says.

Sunny and Jedediah work so well with Sarah, Joy and Whoopi; it's a lineup that truly works and I kinda hope that Whoopi stays. I know she has said she is ready to move on, but it totally seems like she's enjoying herself more again after a few unstable seasons. If Whoopi does leave, I'd welcome Meredith back for sure but it also does feel like they are warming up the seat for Joy too as she is getting practice on Fridays and moderates After the View. After those two, I'm pretty much drawing a blank of other options on who would be a good moderator, I'm pretty sure the network would desire a household name or an A-lister for the fifth spot.

• Like 2