ABC The View

BehindNYNews

I'll add to the choir and agree that Candace seemed to fit in well. Unlike Paula, she was able to be outspoken in her conservative viewpoints, and she did so without being obnoxious. Moreover, Whoopi actually seemed to like her and respect her quite a bit.

• Like 1

On another note, what leverage did ABC have over Whoopi to be able to cut her salary in half?

My guess would be that they had ratings and feedback data that suggested that Joy was well-liked by viewers, and that ratings didn't drop on Fridays when Whoopi was gone. In other words, maybe they told Whoopi to take a pay cut or be replaced by Joy.

On another note, what leverage did ABC have over Whoopi to be able to cut her salary in half?

My guess would be that they had ratings and feedback data that suggested that Joy was well-liked by viewers, and that ratings didn't drop on Fridays when Whoopi was gone. In other words, maybe they told Whoopi to take a pay cut or be replaced by Joy.

Probably has to do with the fact that she won't get that kind of money/hours anywhere else. I mean, to work 4 hours a day, 4 days a week at $2.5 million is beyond ridiculous, let alone the fact that she was making $5 million to do the same. She had no choice but to suck it up. Like she always says on the show... she's only there for the money...

Probably has to do with the fact that she won't get that kind of money/hours anywhere else. I mean, to work 4 hours a day, 4 days a week at $2.5 million is beyond ridiculous, let alone the fact that she was making $5 million to do the same. She had no choice but to suck it up. Like she always says on the show... she's only there for the money...

Why is it ridiculous? Matt Lauer allegedly get paid $28 million dollars. Has been reported that Robin Roberts get paid 14 million. Hey, you can't knock what somebody else is getting. That means they have good agents to get them that kind of deal.

I saw this on the Yahoo! homepage, I'm sure this comes as zero surprise.

Michelle Collins To Exit ‘The View’

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michelle-collins-exit-view-232305332.html

No surprise here. If anything, I think The View will go for Season 20 and then it will be yanked off-the-air for good.

Why is it ridiculous? Matt Lauer allegedly get paid $28 million dollars. Has been reported that Robin Roberts get paid 14 million. Hey, you can't knock what somebody else is getting. That means they have good agents to get them that kind of deal.

I wasn't knocking her. I was knocking the fact that she's making $5 million dollars to essentially work 16 hours a week. Hey, if she can get it, then more power to her. Most people won't even see/make $5 million bucks in their lifetime, let alone in one year.

• Like 2

No surprise here. If anything, I think The View will go for Season 20 and then it will be yanked off-the-air for good.

I hate to do this because it runs into speculation but let's say ABC pulls "The View", Do they give that hour back to the affiliates or move it to 9am for a GMA extra hour?

• Like 1

I hate to do this because it runs into speculation but let's say ABC pulls "The View", Do they give that hour back to the affiliates or move it to 9am for a GMA extra hour?

It been said they're trying to get to the 20th season, and been said that this could be possibly their last season with this show. The View is apart of ABC NEWS division, and it wouldn't be surprise if they ax the show to move in Good Morning America 9am version or Good Afternoon America. Ben Sherwood wants that so bad because of Today being on for 4 hours. I don't see them giving that hour back to the affiliates. I see ABC keeping it to get another show that less expensive to produce.

I wasn't knocking her. I was knocking the fact that she's making $5 million dollars to essentially work 16 hours a week. Hey, if she can get it, then more power to her. Most people won't even see/make $5 million bucks in their lifetime, let alone in one year.

That's soo true, but it be nice to work her hours and get paid that amount of money though.

Hard to say what ABC will do with The View after this year. The show still makes money for them despite their woes/controversies, etc. Plus, as i've said many times, it has name/brand recognition. IF they decide to replace it with another show, they face an uphill battle quite honestly.

The problem for ABC right now is the fact that they have LIVE with Kelly sandwiched in between GMA and The View. You could try and replace The View with more GMA, but it'd be very hard to hold over those loyal GMA viewers until The View's timeslot.

Plus, let's not forget that the 4th hour of Today is more Kathy Lee and Hoda, than TODAY. KLH is a different show from Today, and the only association to it really, is the name. Hell, if they really wanted to expand the GMA brand, then ABC is better off going with Good Morning America's The View.

I've also been hearing rumblings of potentially bringing back $100K Pyramid, Match Game and potentially Password if their Sunday Fun and Games lineup this summer does well. It'd be nice to have more daytime game shows- ABC was never really a big user of that style of program. They'd probably ditch View, Chew and GH for games.

I've also been hearing rumblings of potentially bringing back $100K Pyramid, Match Game and potentially Password if their Sunday Fun and Games lineup this summer does well. It'd be nice to have more daytime game shows- ABC was never really a big user of that style of program. They'd probably ditch View, Chew and GH for games.

Ironcially, the last daytime game show that aired on ABC was Match Game '90, hosted Canadian comedian Ross Shaffer. And that show wasn't cleared in all markets since many of them started airing the news at 12pm.

• Like 2

Ironcially, the last daytime game show that aired on ABC was Match Game '90, hosted Canadian comedian Ross Shaffer. And that show wasn't cleared in all markets since many of them started airing the news at 12pm.

Right, and even before then, ABC had been losing faith in game shows- look what they did to Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak. It had been in development since 1983 (the first pilot was hosted by Gene Rayburn as Party Line), and they ended up putting it against the first half of TPIR on CBS and WOF on NBC. It's like they were trying to kill it.

I never cared once about View, Chew and GH so these daytime game shows would be of major help to ABC.

If not, then give the 11:00am hour to ABC affiliates. Midday is now under death's knees for ABC. Might as well give it up and have 9am-12pm, all free for affiliates.

• Like 3

I never cared once about View, Chew and GH so these daytime game shows would be of major help to ABC.

Except that Chew and GH are still doing great in their respective timeslots and it would be a foolish decision IMO to remove them. I'd rather stick with what's working for the network right now.

But if it took back the 2pm hour and place some game shows there, that'd be a very cool idea.

If you don't like them, fine. Wanting their demise for something new for the sake of it while many other people love/enjoy these shows though is not very cool.

• Like 1

...They'd probably ditch View, Chew and GH for games.

The Chew has been doing very well, I definitely don't see them canceling it anytime soon. General Hospital... it is a soap and so of course everyone will say to cancel it but it also does very well and I don't see them canceling it right now... maybe down the road.

• Like 1

If not, then give the 11:00am hour to ABC affiliates. Midday is now under death's knees for ABC. Might as well give it up and have 9am-12pm, all free for affiliates.

If those "game shows" were to be of major help for ABC, they would have done them a while ago, when they actually had a chance to can The View and before The Chew went on the air. And no way in hell, ABC gives back that hour to its affiliates.

What some posters seem to forget is that The View is still doing very well for the network--ratings wise and revenue wise. Why would they get rid of a show that still makes them money? All the problems the show has been plagued with over the last few years get magnified by the gossip mags, but despite that, they are doing well.

• Like 6

Well, according to the Game Show News group on Facebook, someone who attended a Pyramid taping said they shot two openings- one for primetime, and the other for daytime. So the thought has crossed ABC's mind. That same poster said that View's ratings have declined from year to year, but I can't vouch for that.

Well, according to the Game Show News group on Facebook, someone who attended a Pyramid taping said they shot two openings- one for primetime, and the other for daytime. So the thought has crossed ABC's mind. That same poster said that View's ratings have declined from year to year, but I can't vouch for that.

Yes, the ratings have declined over the years, but that was from their all time high's in show history. They're still beating The Talk (barely).

As far as game shows, they'll have a hard time putting one up to compete against TPIR.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today was a full day of hot topics and the panel was Whoopi, Sara, Joy, Sunny, and Paula. You can just tell that this is a more intellectual panel. The discussion was richer and more thoughtful. It certainly is a different atmosphere than we got with Whoopi, Michelle, Joy, Raven, and Paula.

I would love to see Whoopi, Joy, Sunny, Paula, and Jedediah. Sara is great but I think Jedediah is less afraid to jump in with passion. Sunny and Joy are so, so liberal that it would be nice to have Jedediah there (along with Paula, though I think Jedediah is better) to balance out the points of view at the table.

Today was a full day of hot topics and the panel was Whoopi, Sara, Joy, Sunny, and Paula. You can just tell that this is a more intellectual panel. The discussion was richer and more thoughtful. It certainly is a different atmosphere than we got with Whoopi, Michelle, Joy, Raven, and Paula.

I would love to see Whoopi, Joy, Sunny, Paula, and Jedediah. Sara is great but I think Jedediah is less afraid to jump in with passion. Sunny and Joy are so, so liberal that it would be nice to have Jedediah there (along with Paula, though I think Jedediah is better) to balance out the points of view at the table.

I would rather have Jedediah over Paula and the rest stay the same. Whoopi, Joy, Sunny, Sara and Jedediah so you can balance it out to have a conservative. Paula, just drives me crazy.

Ive been watching The View a little more lately and I gotta say I think the panel they've been having for the past week or so is one of their best ever. Whoopi, Sunny, Joy, Sara, and Paula all seem to really gel very well. The conversations are intellectual, it's a return to the good days of The View. I think Paula does good at times with filling the conservative void, but if they are looking to bring a true conservative to the panel full time switch Paula with Jedediah. Jedediah is very passionate and not afraid to share her views, where as Paula is a bit more devils advocate than anything else. Overall ABC this team works keep it this way!

• 3 weeks later...