ABC The View

BehindNYNews

The real life ABC soap opera continues, talk about getting dragged in the mud. I agree with you @A3N , this has been a really petty fiasco that exploded without any significant reason. I just don't see the whole justification for this scandal, the cohosts were not directly mocking nurses during that particular discussion; but it just seems like people just hear what they want to hear and have decided that they would like to stay bitter. Through Facebook comments, I've read that some people have forgiven the show since they did that segment about nurses this morning, but the majority of these Mean Girls seem to have no mercy. I feel like we're experiencing a realtime case study of social media's mob lynching with this whole situation. Overall, ABC and the show should have buried the hatchet earlier on. It's obvious from a PR standpoint that the show should have invited Miss Colorado a couple days after this incident happened. It shouldn't have been that hard to book her, she just appeared on an ABC special a couple nights before and seems to have time to appear on television elsewhere. I do wonder if they tried booking her and Miss Colorado turned her back on such an idea; since this whole thing happened, she's appeared on Ellen and won money and she'll be flying to NYC to appear on the Dr. Oz show where she'll be part of a one hour nursing appreciation special. It's probably dark times at the halls of The View, you gotta wonder what the executives are thinking, is the show even salvageable after five conglomerates have decided to suspend their advertising to the show? I wonder if that replacement panel show would be ready by midseason at this point, they probably have created their backup plans by now if The View crumbles the next few months. The show does have the likes of Molly Simms, Stacey London and Sherri Shepherd waiting in the wings, but I highly doubt any of these ladies will be able to save the show at this point if they were to kick one of the main co-hosts to the curve. The only way I feel the show would heal would be if Miss Colorado actually guest hosted for a week on the table doing Hot Topics and if she also conducts segments about nurses for a week long special, then perhaps by then the show will having some grace left...but I really highly doubt that this would really happen, unless they're waiting to do this by sweeps.

[quote name='tvtime07']The real life ABC soap opera continues, talk about getting dragged in the mud. I agree with you @A3N , this has been a really petty fiasco that exploded without any significant reason. I just don't see the whole justification for this scandal, the cohosts were not directly mocking nurses during that particular discussion; but it just seems like people just hear what they want to hear and have decided that they would like to stay bitter. Through Facebook comments, I've read that some people have forgiven the show since they did that segment about nurses this morning, but the majority of these Mean Girls seem to have no mercy. I feel like we're experiencing a realtime case study of social media's mob lynching with this whole situation. Overall, ABC and the show should have buried the hatchet earlier on. It's obvious from a PR standpoint that the show should have invited Miss Colorado a couple days after this incident happened. It shouldn't have been that hard to book her, she just appeared on an ABC special a couple nights before and seems to have time to appear on television elsewhere. I do wonder if they tried booking her and Miss Colorado turned her back on such an idea; since this whole thing happened, she's appeared on Ellen and won money and she'll be flying to NYC to appear on the Dr. Oz show where she'll be part of a one hour nursing appreciation special. It's probably dark times at the halls of The View, you gotta wonder what the executives are thinking, is the show even salvageable after five conglomerates have decided to suspend their advertising to the show? I wonder if that replacement panel show would be ready by midseason at this point, they probably have created their backup plans by now if The View crumbles the next few months. The show does have the likes of Molly Simms, Stacey London and Sherri Shepherd waiting in the wings, but I highly doubt any of these ladies will be able to save the show at this point if they were to kick one of the main co-hosts to the curve. The only way I feel the show would heal would be if Miss Colorado actually guest hosted for a week on the table doing Hot Topics and if she also conducts segments about nurses for a week long special, then perhaps by then the show will having some grace left...but I really highly doubt that this would really happen, unless they're waiting to do this by sweeps.[/QUOTE] Good points. I will say that, they are probably hoping that Candace comes back and that takes some of the pressure off. I'm sure that the producers are hoping that she and Raven have a fight that will go viral (it's why they brought her to the panel in the first place). That being said, i'm surprised that ABC hasn't done better PR/damage control of the situation. I'm sure they aren't too thrilled about the sponsors situation, but from what i've read it's only been Johnson and Johnson, and Eggland's Best. J&J has "suspended" advertising on the show, meaning they are probably coming back when things settle down. ABC needs to get its sh*t together and stop this madness right now. Hell, bring Ben Sherwood on or bring Barbara Walters on and have them do an apology. Although, those bitter individuals who still fan the flames will not care either way for the apologies. People are complaining that Joy and Michelle did not apologize right away, then they apologized and "were not sincere", and complain again when they apologized again and brought the nurses in (calling it "damage control", and "too late"). So it's clear that irregardless of what they do, these people will not stop. Keyboard mobs at their finest. Add to this, the blonde "comedienne" that they brought in earlier in the week to interview about her stupid video, making fun of fat people. Well apparently she did an[URL='http://www.eonline.com/news/697366/youtube-s-nicole-arbour-revels-in-the-view-s-nursesunite-drama'] interview[/URL], and this woman is now claiming that she "overheard" Michelle talking bad about Nurses backstage. At the beginning of the season, I honestly thought that this show had another two years left (to take advantage of next year's Presidential elections). After what's happened this week, they'll be lucky if they can make it to next year. There is just way too much drama surrounding The View, and it seems like any one and every one that can publish an article talking bad about the show, is doing it. Hell, even Julie Chen couldn't keep her big mouth shut and started running her mouth on Howard Stern disclosing Barbara's desire to come back on the show to repair what was broken. Those bitching and complaining that the show should be cancelled apparently have no problem in people losing their jobs, as long as their feelings get validated. They seem to forget that there are other people working on The View aside from the hosts. The one's who will suffer are those staffers that need the job and get nowhere near the salaries of the hosts. Yet, that doesn't matter to those that got "offended" ...
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
The panel that's on today -- Whoopi, Michelle, Joy, Candace, and Sara Haines -- is really great together.

No doubt. Too bad they chose Paula over Sara. Sara comes across as genuine and natural, and Paula tries too hard and IMO trying to be a Barbara Walters clone on the show. I have noticed that Whoopi isn't a big fan of Paula and their exchanges can get really cringe-worthy, which is why Paula isn't looking over at Whoopi too much.

• Like 1

No doubt. Too bad they chose Paula over Sara. Sara comes across as genuine and natural, and Paula tries too hard and IMO trying to be a Barbara Walters clone on the show. I have noticed that Whoopi isn't a big fan of Paula and their exchanges can get really cringe-worthy, which is why Paula isn't looking over at Whoopi too much.

I also have been getting the sense that Whoopi doesn't like Paula. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed.

Paula has definitely taken on the Walters role as the "fact-giver" during discussions, though that could be because she was told to do so by the producers. Who knows. Sara does feel more natural. She is certainly better suited for a show like this than a for a news program like GMA.

• Like 2

I also have been getting the sense that Whoopi doesn't like Paula. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed.

Paula has definitely taken on the Walters role as the "fact-giver" during discussions, though that could be because she was told to do so by the producers. Who knows. Sara does feel more natural. She is certainly better suited for a show like this than a for a news program like GMA.

I so agree with you both, because Sara is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than, Paula who tries so hard and it doesn't work. Paula good at GMA, and reporting, but on The View she not flavor of the month IMO. Whoopi, Michelle, Joy, Candace, and Sara Haines that panel works IMO really well.

• Like 1

The thing that bothers me is that Paula tries so hard to be Barbara V.2 that not only is it annoying but downright a slap in the face for what Barbara has done and accomplished for The View. Barbara would NEVER have inserted her religious views into the conversations they had. Paula seems to try and share hers every chance she gets. Obviously if she hasn't gotten the memo that if she's taking the "journalist role" on the show, then she should be more impartial.

One of the things that bothers me about Paula is that she tries too hard to be a Barbara Walters V.2 and to me not only is that annoying but a big slap in the face for all that Barbara has done for The View. Barbara would never try inject her religious beliefs every chance possible. If Paula wanted to take that "journalist role" on the show, then she needs to be more impartial/neutral.

One of the rag mags mentioned a while back that Paula only got The View gig because she knows one of the EP's of the show (Barbara Fedida, I believe).

It's interesting to note that they're having Sara on more frequently, and it would not surprise me if for next season they get rid of Raven, Michelle and Paula and insert Sara. I had my doubts at first, but Candace has really grown on me.

• 1 month later...
I hope and pray that their 20th year will be the last. And I said it before, I'll say it again; I rather continue watching soap operas, court shows, and game show than to watch

dumb daytime talk shows like The View (ABC) and The Talk (CBS).

Daytime Talk Shows have an audience. Coming from someone who works at one. :)

• Like 1

How in the world does that show keep getting renewed? I will predict right now that their 20th season will be their last.

I think this season has seen a bit of a rejuvenation. Next season will probably see higher ratings with the election in full gear. I predict that you'll be wrong.

• Like 1

I hope and pray that their 20th year will be the last. And I said it before, I'll say it again; I rather continue watching soap operas, court shows, and game show than to watch

This coming from someone who watches the likes of Wilkos, Springer, and Povich :confused:

If you don't like those shows, don't watch. Simple as that. Despite the ratings woes, they still have an audience and make money for ABC, that's why it's still on the air. Plus, Joy Behar just inked a new three-year deal to stay on the show.

I do think that Whoopi leaves at the end of the season, along with Michelle. Raven is a mystery. I do think they'll incorporate Sara Haines 100% when she comes back from maternity leave.

The only two talk shows I watch is Maury and Dr. Phil, that's it.

Per post #3824 in the "Out and About" thread (http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/out-and-about.11429/page-192#post-147937) on December 27, 2015, you stated you also watch Wilkos. Nonetheless, it's shows like these that contribute to the dumbing down of America. They provide no educational value (or any other value for that matter) and are "Trash TV". Say what you want about The View, but it's a million times better than Maury or Wilkos.

Per post #3824 in the "Out and About" thread (http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/out-and-about.11429/page-192#post-147937) on December 27, 2015, you stated you also watch Wilkos. Nonetheless, it's shows like these that contribute to the dumbing down of America. They provide no educational value (or any other value for that matter) and are "Trash TV". Say what you want about The View, but it's a million times better than Maury or Wilkos.

Could we not quote people's TV viewing habits 2 months later just to paint them as dishonest? Comes across as a little creepy and vindictive.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Could we not quote people's TV viewing habits 2 months later just to paint them as dishonest? Comes across as a little creepy and vindictive.

Thanks.

Sorry. That's just a post that stood out in my mind and I happened to remember because of my extreme disgust for those shows. Wasn't trying to be creepy or vindictive, just trying to prove a point.

If you don't like those shows, don't watch. Simple as that. Despite the ratings woes, they still have an audience and make money for ABC, that's why it's still on the air. Plus, Joy Behar just inked a new three-year deal to stay on the show.

I do think that Whoopi leaves at the end of the season, along with Michelle. Raven is a mystery. I do think they'll incorporate Sara Haines 100% when she comes back from maternity leave.

Whoopi has a play or pay contract, so I don't think Whoopi going anywhere. I think Sara, Joy, Michelle, Candice will come back. Raven & Paula toss up. Raven could be on a ABC/Disney show, and Paula stick with GMA & ABC NEWS.

Also Rebecca Campbell over to ABC Daytime

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/campbell-given-abc-daytime-oversight/154079

• Like 1

There only 4 soaps Y&R contract up in 2017, and B&B is either up 2016 or 17. Days have a 1 year renewal with the possible following year renewal. ABC owns GH so it can cancel it anytime. However those soaps cost $50million to produce a year, so if the soaps make it to 2018 & beyond would be something. I think if these networks were to streamline the serialized drama, by creating new content, and airing them for 30 minutes they can be viable again, and make the $$$ the networks are use to.

Court shows & talk shows are cheaper to produce, but the talk shows are not finding their niche like 20 years ago. CBS owns The Talk and Jules' show is safe. I think they want to get The View to the 20th season and possible cancel the show. However don't be surprise if there's a 21st season. Steve Harvey, Ellen, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, The Doctors, Kelly & Michael, Rachel Ray, Wendy Williams (I don't know how how Maury/Jerry are still on) seem to be the safe, but every new talk-show doesn't last. If Harry Connick Jr, show is a success that good, but the studios/networks are looking to bring in big name stars... Oprah, Montel, Jerry, Ricki Lake, Geraldo, Jenny Jones were not big stars when they started out. They were known in their circles either local news/network news or whatever.

I just hope Daytime landscape doesn't become a sea of just news. You have to entertain the audience, and give them something to escape from.

• Like 3