ABC The View

BehindNYNews

Let's play programming exec....

What would you do?

The only stipulation is you cannot give back the hour to local.

My decision would be to beg Baba to come back in a final "hail mary" attempt to milk that thing to the end of the big contracts.

3yr maximum.

What would the rest of you do?

General Hospital moves to the 11am slot and 2PM is used for Good Afternoon America.

Let's play programming exec....

What would you do?

The only stipulation is you cannot give back the hour to local.

My decision would be to beg Baba to come back in a final "hail mary" attempt to milk that thing to the end of the big contracts.

3yr maximum.

What would the rest of you do?

This may sound nuts...but since game shows, soaps and syndicated shows are out of the question, my guess is the View can take advantage of its ABC News production unit and have the show go as a straight hard news program. A la Nightline.

Or show reruns of 20/20's umbrella shows, "What Will You do?" That brings in the 18-49 Women demographic. And it serves as a good lead in to the midday news.

Whoopi is under contract until 2016 however, ABC owned stations and affiliates have long term contracts to air Kelly & Michael at 9am. Ben Sherwood wants a third hour of Good Morning America but doesn't mind it being detached from the main two hours, so here's a solution:

Let The View run through the end of next season then in fall 2016, ABC News can give the hour over to Good Morning America to run a third hour with some quick news hits and a lot of celebrity interviews and cooking. Have it go out live at 10am eastern and tell affiliates they can air it at 10am or 11am, depending on syndicated contracts they have. For the 8am hour sign off just have the anchors say "Good Morning America continues later this morning right here on ABC..."

Whoopi is under contract until 2016 however, ABC owned stations and affiliates have long term contracts to air Kelly & Michael at 9am. Ben Sherwood wants a third hour of Good Morning America but doesn't mind it being detached from the main two hours, so here's a solution:

Let The View run through the end of next season then in fall 2016, ABC News can give the hour over to Good Morning America to run a third hour with some quick news hits and a lot of celebrity interviews and cooking. Have it go out live at 10am eastern and tell affiliates they can air it at 10am or 11am, depending on syndicated contracts they have. For the 8am hour sign off just have the anchors say "Good Morning America continues later this morning right here on ABC..."

Maybe but that would be overkill....

The idea/concept/trial run of GAA was a good one when Josh Elliot was still at ABC. Would they still be able to capture that lightning in the bottle like they did a few years ago? Like I said earlier, it's a lot easier to re-tool a show like The View due to the brand recognition, than it is introducing a new one. Plus, with a show like The View, you can dip into politics and entertainment without being held to that same journalistic standard that a show like GMA would have. Not to mention the political dollars they could reap during election season...

The hard part is getting good people in charge with a vision/plan that will stick with it, and not someone who will constantly make changes at the first sign of failure. The problem with The View right now is stability and direction. Do they want to be all entertainment/celebrity gossip, newsier/political show, or combo of both?

Surprised nobody here has posted this:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/07/23/candace-cameron-bure-paula-faris-officially-joins-the-view-as-co-hosts/436365/

Candace Cameron Bure and Paula Faris are joining The View. Wonder what that means for weekend GMA?

Hasn't been officially announced. The rumors say that Faris and Cameron-Bure will be joining- no confirmation just yet.

• 5 weeks later...

It doesn't say if they are going with a 6 person panel, or if they will go with 5 and rotate the 6th spot? So when Candace and Paula are off, do they then bring in two rotating contributors, or one? It is good to have Joy back, at the very least to keep Whoopi grounded a bit.

There were rumors earlier in the summer that Joy had rejected a spot on the panel because she wanted some say in how the show was run, and ultimately she felt it wasn't a fit. However, Variety mentioned that the reason Joy decided to come back was because Barbara Walters had asked her to return.

Since Paula's sticking with GMA, she'll likely only be on 3 or 4 days a week, leaving the 5-woman panel on the other day/s, and I could totally see Joy's schedule being reduced by design, as sort of a semi-retirement deal. Add in Candace's comeback schedule, and I think they'll keep the standard 5, with someone always off.

I have to say I am VERY impressed by this lineup. If they can't make this panel work, they need to cancel The View at the end of the season because this panel should be able to work.

That said, if they do continue to another season after this one, rumors have basically pressed that Whoopi has no interest in extending her contract at the end of this season so that'll be a huge spot to fill. But maybe we should get through this season first :D

I think that they'll stick around for the 2016-2017 season, if only due to next year's presidential elections. That being said, Whoopi has always made it known that she's there for the paycheck ($5 million, in fact), so regardless of all the rumors going around that she is not interested in extending her deal, it'd be pretty hard to pass up that much money for a nice, cushy gig-- and she knows it too. I think her displeasure (and rightfully so) has been at all the turnover the show has experienced, but with some familiar faces coming back, that should help things out quite a bit. Plus, I think everyone is anticipating a Candace/Raven catfight on the show...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm siding with y'all, seems like a last ditch effort to get The View back from the brink. I think Nicolle Wallace and Rosie Perez found their footing by the end of their run and really fit well with Raven, Michelle and Whoopi (it would have been a great panel had they all continued into the new tv season together) but unfortunately for them ABC News has other plans. I think Nicolle would have been a great asset this season, with all the political issues from both domestic and international going about, it's a real pity -- just check out The View's social media and see how much support she has had from both liberals and conservatives. It was nice to see someone who wasn't a comedian or in showbiz, she just seemed more relatable to the regular viewer. Bad call from out-of-touch tv execs.

I would say that the new cast will most likely be a joy to watch though. Glad Joy is back, she should have never left. Candace seems to be feeling the void left by Elisabeth, the conservative Christian; which will probably bring back the Evangelical audience and the religious perspective that the show has been lacking and vitally needed. I would say that Candace will most likely not be as political as people may think, unless she plans to study talking points more closely and do research ahead of time, she had difficulty articulating which Republican candidates she'd vote for and doubt she wants to be known as a Fox News wannabe. Paula I'm curious about, cause she hasn't done anything interesting when she has guest hosted on The View, but with her prior sports anchoring experiences and journalistic expertise, she'll hopefully make the show more rounded since she's also a mother and she has brought her own Christian experiences to the table too.

A couple articles I've read makes me ponder where the fate of the show will land. According to the Daily Mail, Whoopi was left in the dark about Joy's return and that a feud might be boiling between the two. In her contract which ends this season, Whoopi contractually works Mon.-Thurs. and has strongly decided she will not work Fridays. ABC News has assigned Joy as the head host on Fridays. The interesting tidbit from the Daily Mail was that ABC has been testing a replacement show with two males hosts and to females. And according to Radar, Rosie O'Donnell is planning to appear again on the show...so perhaps this might be Whoopi's last season if the show survives since I doubt she would want to work with her again. I do remember Rosie said on-air that she'll leave the door open to come back, so perhaps third times a charm? haha

Overall, seems like the revamp would work on paper, but I find it really disjointed with the unknown factors of Candace and Paula mixed in, with Whoopi wanting out, and ambiguity of how effective the part-time contributors will come about -- I'm just very skeptical about the execution. They needed stability and would have preferred Nicolle and Rosie Perez continuing. Will be interesting to see how this one will turnout by Spring.

• Like 1

I agree. Although, if you've seen the new promo for the upcoming season, you will notice that Whoopi was the only one not to partake in it. They had to add a clip of her in. I honestly think that the ABC head honchos are not going to be putting up with her bullsh*t this season. They have too much invested in this show and quite frankly she has become such a poison pill for the show.

I used to be a fan of Whoopi, but if you check an episode of The View from when she first started, to one from today, she has changed A LOT-- and not for the better. She has become so bitter and combative that it's hard to justify her behaviors--irregardless if she is correct on some issues. Also, the fact that she is imposing her "4 day work-week" schedule already shows that she is looking for a fight.

I find it very interesting that Joy will moderate on Fridays. If things go well I can almost guarantee that they'll bench Whoopi, down the line. The good thing about these rotating guest hosts is that, if things don't work out with one of the main panelists, then you can easily replace them. Plus, it's very telling that they're even considering bringing Rosie back for guest appearances...

Wouldn't it be something, if this show comes back in the fall of 2016, with Rosie as moderator? LOL.

I agree. Although, if you've seen the new promo for the upcoming season, you will notice that Whoopi was the only one not to partake in it. They had to add a clip of her in. I honestly think that the ABC head honchos are not going to be putting up with her bullsh*t this season. They have too much invested in this show and quite frankly she has become such a poison pill for the show.

I used to be a fan of Whoopi, but if you check an episode of The View from when she first started, to one from today, she has changed A LOT-- and not for the better. She has become so bitter and combative that it's hard to justify her behaviors--irregardless if she is correct on some issues. Also, the fact that she is imposing her "4 day work-week" schedule already shows that she is looking for a fight.

I find it very interesting that Joy will moderate on Fridays. If things go well I can almost guarantee that they'll bench Whoopi, down the line. The good thing about these rotating guest hosts is that, if things don't work out with one of the main panelists, then you can easily replace them. Plus, it's very telling that they're even considering bringing Rosie back for guest appearances...

Wouldn't it be something, if this show comes back in the fall of 2016, with Rosie as moderator? LOL.

They should honestly groom Paula Farris for the moderator role. The show was best when a news person (Meredith) was moderating.

Speaking of Meredith, I'm guessing her show is going to get canned after this season. If so, I wonder if she'd be interested in returning to the View in a limited role.

I occasionally watch but my mother, who like myself is a liberal, really liked Nicole Wallace. She was the type of republican that made you want to agree with her. She made her point known but also had logical reasoning behind it. She was completely unlike any previous conservative panelists. They should have kept her on at least as a contributor with the up coming election cycle. To be quite honest The View with out politics was quite boring.

I like Joy Behar and am glad she's returning. She should have never left.

Look's like The View has an updated logo. I'm sure the set will be updated as well.

Check out their Facebook page, they have tons of new videos and promos. I have to say, I like what I see so far. Season 19 could be the turn around season for The View.

Looks like the graphics will be a bit more subdued. Less reds and yellows and more blue and whites. The music sounds the same, although I wish they went back to using the updated theme they used at the beginning of last season. As for the set... I'm guessing that they're probably building a bigger desk, and maybe fixing some of the background elements on both sides of the video wall.

Looks like the graphics will be a bit more subdued. Less reds and yellows and more blue and whites. The music sounds the same, although I wish they went back to using the updated theme they used at the beginning of last season. As for the set... I'm guessing that they're probably building a bigger desk, and maybe fixing some of the background elements on both sides of the video wall.

I liked the changes made at the beginning of the season: Nicolle, Rosie P., Rosie O's return (yes, even thar), the new set, and the updated theme. I wish that theme stayed, and tha Nicolle never left, but I'm looking forward to Joy's return and what this new season will bring.

Here's a sample of the 2014 theme that I was talking about...

http://www.networknewsmusic.com/wp/the-view-2014-theme/

And I loved this version of the theme. Miles more than the one they used for seven seasons.

So smooth, so catchy and so awesome.

• Like 2

It's very interesting and perhaps very telling that Whoopi isn't actually saying or appearing in the actual promos with the new cast. By this time last year, we had the whole cast talking well about each other and they also published a cast photo of all of them together. This year? Whoopi is missing and the full cast photo wasn't ready for media distribution. Perhaps Whoopi is just taking an extended vacation or could it be something else? Drama on The View continues? I don't know why Lifetime hasn't produced a mini-series for "The Unauthorized Story of the View" yet, there's 19 years of juicy subplots to choose from.

I did notice that Whoopi has changed since she began on the show all those years ago. She used to be so much better, I feel like she may be burned out from appearing on the show. With the death of her brother and other close friends/mentors, backstage stressors, network exec nipping and her health challenges of getting older, the gig might be getting to be too much for her to handle... a combination of those elements could exhaust anyone, so I can sympathize with her, but she's hurting the show creatively. Like the whole Bill Cosby situation, she wanted to censor and avoid any reference to allegations; the whole segment with Dan Abrams teaching her about the legal issues of the case seems to be ABC News' desire to extinguish the backlash that she and the show got, seemed like she was going through the motions and was forced to perform that segment.

I chuckled at this video because this seemed more like a memorial to remember Whoopi, I also found it interesting to see that there were no soundbites from Joy:

I do like those social media videos though as a whole, other than seeing no Whoopi, my only other complaint is the generic background they used, it seems like they filmed their interviews at the JCPenny portrait studio.

As for Rosie O'Donnell, ABC would be foolish if they don't think about recruiting her for at least limited appearances. Two words: Donald Trump. Have her appear during a segment of Hot Topics on Friday and let her speak her mind about Trump and the upcoming elections. The show would get so much buzz again if there was a media meltdown battle between her and Trump on a weekly basis. Even with her 'cray-cray' tendencies, there's no denying that Rosie O'Donnell is quite a professional in the live television realm, she's quick, witty and articulate when needed. During this past season, she performed best when Whoopi was away, she was more open and more lively. If Whoopi is leaving, they should consider giving the moderator keys to her.

Speaking of Meredith, I'm guessing her show is going to get canned after this season. If so, I wonder if she'd be interested in returning to the View in a limited role.

Meredith would be an interesting choice to come back, she's very likable and I think viewers would welcome her back with open arms. I do wonder about her contract with NBC News, I really doubt that they would let her double-dip and appear regularly/limitedly on a competitor's program, but I'm pretty sure NBC canned her show; the O&Os are already planning Harry Connick's entrance to their daytime lineup.

Yeah, I liked the original 2014 theme, but I'm guessing audience polling told ABC News that the theme was old and tired. As for the set, I hope they make it more intimate and cozy, I found the white to be too sterile. In addition to a bigger table, I'm thinking that they will actually get matching chairs that Whoopi would approve to sit on.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to this show in the coming weeks, it's either going to be taken out of life support or it will being getting it's last rites.

Last year, they hired Wallace and Perez literally in the first week of September. Plus, they had an extra week before the show premiered so that's why they had a cast photo out on time. This time around, the hiring was done in August, yet i'm not sure why they waited this long to get the promos, photoshoots, sound bites out.

I'm curious to see if Whoopi and Joy's friendship/relationship will become strained, and how their chemistry will play off on air. Last year, you could make the case that Rosie O. was hard to work with and Whoopi's attitude was justified, but if she continues to act like a bitch this season then there will be no justifying it. I'm sure she was blindsided by Joy's return and the move to live tapings on friday's but then again the show/producers/network don't answer to her. Hell, at $5 million bucks a year, she's the last person that should be complaining. Not many people in this world have such a plush gig that only requires you to show up to work for a few hours a day, 4 days a week.

As for the music, I think that they wanted it to be hip/modern ala "The Real" or "The Talk". Sadly, they completely threw away a good update and disregarded such a recognizable signature in the process.

• Like 1