ABC The View

BehindNYNews

Recap of the soap opera drama called The View as well inside information about that Katie Couric-Matt Lauer daytime show that was in the works, presented by Vanity Fair: The View's Epic Fight for Survival

If there's truth to these accounts, it amazes me how disorganized the show has gotten behind-the-scenes. From various ABC execs to the multiple transitions of producers, there seems to have been too many cooks in kitchen, which it all comes down to egos not wanting to collaborate together.

I've seen some episodes of this show within the past season and I do feel like the show has slowly gotten its groove back. There was so much unneeded tension between O'Donnell and the other panel hosts, especially between Whoopi and O'Donnell. Whoever thought having both of those people together should have been fired. I did like O'Donnell though, there was magic at times when she was passionate about a particular segment or subject, but unfortunately she was shaky and unreliable during the rest of the time. O'Donnell's exit improved the show I would say, as Whoopi has reclaimed captain of the ship. I do believe that both Wallace and Perez also found their voices on the show, it did take some time, but both seem more comfortable with live television. As for who should join them? My favorite has been Michelle Collins, she has the wit and charm, which has been missing on the show; the same thing could be said about Stacy London. I also think Paula Farris of ABC News could help bring more balance to the show, as she has brought her Christian experiences to the table, she might be able to bring Middle America back to the show after so many of them have said they left since Hasselbeck's exit. I also do like ESPN's Samantha Ponder as well, if they are interested in getting back the younger demographic. Raven seems to be a popular candidate though. I wouldn't mind if they tried out S.E. Copp, Sunny Hostin or Sage Steele again from last year's try outs, but it seems like those bridges were burned from their chemistry tests that they had with Whoopi and O'Donnell.

Good write up by Variety. I think this really confirms just how bad things were behind the scenes. The show has really improved in the months since O'Donnell left- even with the rotating guest co-hosts. Some of the guests co-hosts that they've had on have no business being on the show- let alone co-hosting, but it's really helped distinguish the good [potential] replacement candidates from the terrible ones. I will say (and has been reported), that they are seriously considering Raven Symone for the show. This is her third straight week on the show. One dark horse candidate that has surprisingly had good reviews is, Cristela Alonzo- despite her annoying laugh, but I digress. I think that Cristela adds a breath of fresh, honest air to the show. She is relatable and most importantly, she is not the blonde, self-indulged, air-head type that permeate the tv business. If anything, Cristela reminds me of a younger, less polarizing version of Joy Behar. Plus, you can tell Whoopi is at ease when Raven or Cristela is guest co-hosting.

Oh yes, I've enjoyed Cristela Alonzo's appearances as well, she excels in this format that's for sure. I've been tracking her on Twitter since the cancellation of her sitcom on Friday and she has repeatedly told her fans that would not be interested in co-hosting for the show, so it seems like she has decided to pursue other opportunities or has been told the direction of where The View is heading.

Oh yes, I've enjoyed Cristela Alonzo's appearances as well, she excels in this format that's for sure. I've been tracking her on Twitter since the cancellation of her sitcom on Friday and she has repeatedly told her fans that would not be interested in co-hosting for the show, so it seems like she has decided to pursue other opportunities or has been told the direction of where The View is heading.

That's a shame, although a platform like The View can really help her out in getting new opportunities/projects. I'm not sure if it's the fact that she would have to relocate from LA to NY for the show that she considers a no-go, but if she really wants that exposure... Plus, over the years, several of the panelists have done side jobs like movies and stand up shows while doing The View. Not to mention that they don't tape on Fridays, so they automatically get a three day weekend. It really isn't a bad gig... In by 8am and out by 12-1pm on most days. Plus, if the rumors are true about NIcolle and Rosie's salaries ($400k/year, at the minimum), then it's a great great gig if you can get it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All of this chaos can be traced back to Anne Sweeney. If she hadn't insisted on bringing Rosie O'Donnell back, half of the behind-the-scenes drama would have been avoided, and Bill Getty would still be calling the shots. If Getty were still here, Wolff wouldn't have been around to hire random misfits like Perez who had no place on the show from the get-go and Wallace who, despite being quite intelligent and articulate, is by no means a firebrand that the show needs in order to generate buzz. By the way, they knew that going in with Nicole. They (for some odd reason to me) wanted someone less incendiary than Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck had conviction, ignited debate, and made for good TV. Sure, her views differed from most of the show's audience, but they still watched in order to disagree with her. ABC decided they wanted someone who wouldn't fan the flames so the panel could get along until happily ever after. Clearly that strategy backfired as the reports are citing Wallace's lack of passion as a reason for her removal.

It's a shame, really. The best thing that could happen to that show would be the return of Joy Behar and Sherri Shepherd.

All of this chaos can be traced back to Anne Sweeney. If she hadn't insisted on bringing Rosie O'Donnell back, half of the behind-the-scenes drama would have been avoided, and Bill Getty would still be calling the shots. If Getty were still here, Wolff wouldn't have been around to hire random misfits like Perez who had no place on the show from the get-go and Wallace who, despite being quite intelligent and articulate, is by no means a firebrand that the show needs in order to generate buzz. By the way, they knew that going in with Nicole. They (for some odd reason to me) wanted someone less incendiary than Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck had conviction, ignited debate, and made for good TV. Sure, her views differed from most of the show's audience, but they still watched in order to disagree with her. ABC decided they wanted someone who wouldn't fan the flames so the panel could get along until happily ever after. Clearly that strategy backfired as the reports are citing Wallace's lack of passion as a reason for her removal.

It's a shame, really. The best thing that could happen to that show would be the return of Joy Behar and Sherri Shepherd.

Spot on. Reports are that Sherri will be back in the fall as part of the rotating 5th panelist. I do think it was a mistake to let Nicolle go. Even if she doesn't generate the same buzz as Hasselbeck, they could have added another conservative co-host that was a bit more incendiary. Nicolle's chemistry with Whoopi and the others was good, and it's a shame that she is being punished for being more restrained. According to Variety, Joy was in negotiations to come back part time but talks broke down. Everyone knows that Whoopi runs that show- it's why Raven was hired full time, and a reason why Michelle was too. FWIW, Anne Sweeney was the one behind Joy and Elisabeth being canned...

Why don't ABC just cancel The View and get it over with, the show is getting old and it's about time the network needs to start something new and fresh.

Because they have contractual obligations...

Because they have contractual obligations...

Pretty sure ABC can cancel it anytime they want.

True there are contractual obligations with the talent so ABC would probably have to eat the remainder of those contracts and pay them off.

Why don't ABC just cancel The View and get it over with, the show is getting old and it's about time the network needs to start something new and fresh.

And once those contracts are over, ABC affiliates can then take over and put more local news or put more syndicated programming in it.

Pretty sure ABC can cancel it anytime they want.

True there are contractual obligations with the talent so ABC would probably have to eat the remainder of those contracts and pay them off.

Whoopi is owed a reported $5mill next year... Even though the ratings are down, The View still has name/brand recognition. Would they be able to make the same amount of money with a new show than they do with The View? I'm not saying they won't cancel the show, it just won't be done this year. Also, i'm not sure how and what role the affiliates have if/when the show gets cancelled. Do they get a say in what replaces it? do they get that hour for themselves?

Spot on. Reports are that Sherri will be back in the fall as part of the rotating 5th panelist. I do think it was a mistake to let Nicolle go. Even if she doesn't generate the same buzz as Hasselbeck, they could have added another conservative co-host that was a bit more incendiary. Nicolle's chemistry with Whoopi and the others was good, and it's a shame that she is being punished for being more restrained. According to Variety, Joy was in negotiations to come back part time but talks broke down. Everyone knows that Whoopi runs that show- it's why Raven was hired full time, and a reason why Michelle was too. FWIW, Anne Sweeney was the one behind Joy and Elisabeth being canned...

Reports are saying that Candace Cameron Bure, Stacey London, Molly Simms, in addition to Sherri Sheppherd (and possibly Nicolle Wallace) would join in the capacity of rotating co-host. Honestly, they're better off making Whoopi, Raven, and Michelle rotating too so they have a different cast of characters each day.

The View is under the news umbrella. If it goes, expect a third hour of GMA, even if it isn't attached to the mother ship.

If it's GMA and not GAA, I imagine they would attach it to the mother ship and have it at 9am. Kelly & Michael could easily slide to 10am, and Rachel Ray to 11am (or whatever your local ABC affiliates air at those times).

Whoopi is owed a reported $5mill next year... Even though the ratings are down, The View still has name/brand recognition. Would they be able to make the same amount of money with a new show than they do with The View? I'm not saying they won't cancel the show, it just won't be done this year. Also, i'm not sure how and what role the affiliates have if/when the show gets cancelled. Do they get a say in what replaces it? do they get that hour for themselves?

I know the network has knocked around the Idea of another hour of GMA.

In the olden days when the nets paid the affiliates they had some say. Now all they can really do is bitch and moan.

I'm strictly going on the boiler plate scenarios...and baba wawa is pretty savy so there may be some non-traditional contracts.

You CAN be sure ABC will milk it to the bitter end to avoid the payouts....

because who the hell want's to see Whoopi "on the beach".

KGTV has a slot at 7:30p.....gasp.

I know the network has knocked around the Idea of another hour of GMA.

In the olden days when the nets paid the affiliates they had some say. Now all they can really do is bitch and moan.

I'm strictly going on the boiler plate scenarios...and baba wawa is pretty savy so there may be some non-traditional contracts.

You CAN be sure ABC will milk it to the bitter end to avoid the payouts....

because who the hell want's to see Whoopi "on the beach".

KGTV has a slot at 7:30p.....gasp.

Whoopi wants to see Whoopi "on the beach". Problem is she wants to be paid to be "on the beach". With all the reports out there from last year, she's been trying to get out of that contract for a while, but knows that if she does she loses a nice $5mill... Barbara only has a very small stake in the show now. I don't think she is calling the shots, let alone negotiating talent contracts. This is a big reason why the show has been in a freefall. Had she retained control of the show, there would have been some stability at the very least.

Whoopi wants to see Whoopi "on the beach". Problem is she wants to be paid to be "on the beach". With all the reports out there from last year, she's been trying to get out of that contract for a while, but knows that if she does she loses a nice $5mill... Barbara only has a very small stake in the show now. I don't think she is calling the shots, let alone negotiating talent contracts. This is a big reason why the show has been in a freefall. Had she retained control of the show, there would have been some stability at the very least.

Let's play programming exec....

What would you do?

The only stipulation is you cannot give back the hour to local.

My decision would be to beg Baba to come back in a final "hail mary" attempt to milk that thing to the end of the big contracts.

3yr maximum.

What would the rest of you do?

Let's play programming exec....

What would you do?

The only stipulation is you cannot give back the hour to local.

My decision would be to beg Baba to come back in a final "hail mary" attempt to milk that thing to the end of the big contracts.

3yr maximum.

What would the rest of you do?

The only person I would beg to come back is Meredith Vieria- Maybe Joy as well. I would have kept Nicolle full time and maybe added a more fiery conservative to the panel. At this point, asking for Barbara to come back would be a mistake. Does anyone remember just how much of a pissy b*tch she was in her last season on The View? No thanks.

The only person I would beg to come back is Meredith Vieria- Maybe Joy as well. I would have kept Nicolle full time and maybe added a more fiery conservative to the panel. At this point, asking for Barbara to come back would be a mistake. Does anyone remember just how much of a pissy b*tch she was in her last season on The View? No thanks.

Oh my God, I am soooo stupid...

"Can we get Catlin Jenner"?

(i'm running like hell out of here now before I get killed)

Oh my God, I am soooo stupid...

"Can we get Catlin Jenner"?

(i'm running like hell out of here now before I get killed)

As the "fiery conservative?"

They could always bring in S.E. Cupp if they wanted another conservative on the show, though I don't think they're willing to do so anytime soon.

I believe it was down to S.E. and Nicolle for the last spot last year. Then rumors started flying that she, Whoopi and Rosie O. were getting into constant fights during the test panels they were conducting. If they really want a View that sparks and encites controversy then they should add Candace to the panel, alongside Raven... They already went at it a few weeks ago, imagine what would happen during the course of the season?