ABC The View

BehindNYNews

Part of the problem lies with the fact that Rosie wants to do the show her way. She wants to be the moderator and have the show revolve around Rosie. She really is not interested in talking politics or reality/pop culture topics. If she were in charge, The View would be arts & crafts, discussions on social issues and some current events and celebrity interviews. The show has become unbearable as you have Whoopi constantly being negative- almost like she is doing it on purpose to piss Rosie O. off. NIcolle seems intimidated by Rosie, she has gotten better about voicing her point of view but Rosie often cuts her off. I really think that they should do better once O'Donnell is off the show.

Good points.

I would like to see a panel consisting of Whoopi, Joy Behar, Sherri Shepherd, and Nicole Wallace, with an occasional guest host.

Has anybody else noticed the new promos for The View have Scripps looking orange and blue effects? I just saw one and it made me think of it. I know GMA's ribbon looks a lot like the Scripps V1 graphics package from 2009. Does ABC News use Renderon for it's graphics?

I'm under the impression they are really trying to freshen up the look of The View lately.

Part of the problem lies with the fact that Rosie wants to do the show her way. She wants to be the moderator and have the show revolve around Rosie. She really is not interested in talking politics or reality/pop culture topics. If she were in charge, The View would be arts & crafts, discussions on social issues and some current events and celebrity interviews. The show has become unbearable as you have Whoopi constantly being negative- almost like she is doing it on purpose to piss Rosie O. off. NIcolle seems intimidated by Rosie, she has gotten better about voicing her point of view but Rosie often cuts her off. I really think that they should do better once O'Donnell is off the show.

That's why I can't see her surviving another year on the show (or Rosie Perez for that matter). She's either gonna get shut out or she's gonna walk out on her own free will. Nicolle Wallace is likely the only one that has a decent shot of being around long term.

That's why I can't see her surviving another year on the show (or Rosie Perez for that matter). She's either gonna get shut out or she's gonna walk out on her own free will. Nicolle Wallace is likely the only one that has a decent shot of being around long term.

Luckily, Rosie O's contract is up at the end of the season (along with Nicolle and Rosie P.) Only Whoopi is signed through next season.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the feeling The View as a show will be not far behind the way it's going.

It's a shame. The changes to the show that took place over the summer -- including the selection of new panelists -- seemed impulsive and hasty. I am hopeful that the show will improve if they cast the right cohosts (O'Donnell's bitterness and Rosie Perez's inability to articulate herself haven't helped) and return to the format of controversial social and political hot topics.

It's not surprising. I had a weird feeling that something was going to happen sooner rather than later. If any one has seen the show in the last few weeks, things have been TENSE on set- especially between Rosie and Whoopi. They barely would talk to each other. If anything, I think this might help the show get better ratings as some people had tuned out because of Rosie. In the interim, they probably will have Barbara and Joy fill in but the timing of this is just too coincidental.

It's a shame. The changes to the show that took place over the summer -- including the selection of new panelists -- seemed impulsive and hasty. I am hopeful that the show will improve if they cast the right cohosts (O'Donnell's bitterness and Rosie Perez's inability to articulate herself haven't helped) and return to the format of controversial social and political hot topics.

Isn't Barbara Walters still involved as an EP? I would have thought with her around behind the scenes it still would have held together better than it has. I agree the choices of panelists have been impulsive at best... At worst they have been disastrous of late.

Isn't Barbara Walters still involved as an EP? I would have thought with her around behind the scenes it still would have held together better than it has. I agree the choices of panelists have been impulsive at best... At worst they have been disastrous of late.

She's listed as an EP, but I don't think that she has any decision-making capabilities anymore. I would say that while the panel search was done in haste, Nicolle has really been a great addition. She has really stepped up her game in the last few months.

. I would say that while the panel search was done in haste, Nicolle has really been a great addition. She has really stepped up her game in the last few months.

It's funny you say that because one of the articles about Rosie's departure said that network execs see Nicolle as the only current panelist that isn't expendable and see the future of the program featuring her

She's listed as an EP, but I don't think that she has any decision-making capabilities anymore. I would say that while the panel search was done in haste, Nicolle has really been a great addition. She has really stepped up her game in the last few months.

I agree that she has become a good fit. The only thing that disappoints me is that despite her having been a republican strategist, she never seems to really argue on behalf of a conservative point of view. She tends to say something like "Well republicans feel xyz..." but doesn't take ownership of it like Elisabeth Hasselbeck did. Maybe that is explained by the fact that she comes from being an analyst on MSNBC, or maybe execs at The View told her to take that route because they thought Elisabeth was too radical. Unfortunately, it results in more agreeing and head-nodding around the table rather than the passionate, informative, two-sided debate that took place between Elisabeth and the more liberal hosts on political issues, and Elisabeth/Sherri and Joy/Whoopi on religious issues.

I agree that she has become a good fit. The only thing that disappoints me is that despite her having been a republican strategist, she never seems to really argue on behalf of a conservative point of view. She tends to say something like "Well republicans feel xyz..." but doesn't take ownership of it like Elisabeth Hasselbeck did. Maybe that is explained by the fact that she comes from being an analyst on MSNBC, or maybe execs at The View told her to take that route because they thought Elisabeth was too radical. Unfortunately, it results in more agreeing and head-nodding around the table rather than the passionate, informative, two-sided debate that took place between Elisabeth and the more liberal hosts on political issues, and Elisabeth/Sherri and Joy/Whoopi on religious issues.

Good points. I think that part of her less-confrontational stance is due to her being intimidated by Rosie, because often times whenever she has a contrary stance to something, she looks over to see what/if Rosie O. will react. Although, surprisingly (or not) Whoopi seems to have this protective-ness for Nicolle like she did with Elisabeth. While Nicolle does not seem like the one to argue just for the sake of arguing, it will be interesting to see just how much she will open up once Rosie O. leaves.

I think that's Nicole's not the person who will argue to get her point across. She is much more rational and level headed in her explanations than Elisabeth ever was. Elisabeth was aggressive, stubborn and let her emotions dictate her arguments.

As a liberal I like Nicole Wallace and the way she comes across makes you understand her point of view.

The problem was from the beginning that Rosie O. wanted to take over and make it her show even though it wasn't and I know that pissed off a lot of people over at ABC...my friend works for ABC and said no one could stand her, even before she joined the show in September!

The problem was from the beginning that Rosie O. wanted to take over and make it her show even though it wasn't and I know that pissed off a lot of people over at ABC...my friend works for ABC and said no one could stand her, even before she joined the show in September!

Exactly. Apparently when she came backs she wanted to take over Whoopi's job as moderator, that didn't fly well with anyone too.

I think employee morale at the entire show will improve with her gone. Whoopi must be elated.

Also an article said that now they are looking for someone with a news background...Could someone like Katie Couric or Dianne Sawyer work?...or would ABC not want to pay too much money for them.

I don't see Diane coming in but Katie could definitely happen. Katie could retain her roll at Yahoo as Global News Anchor and get a TV presence with Yahoo's partner ABC on The View. I'm sure Katie wants to get back on TV.

When it became clear that Katie's talk show was tanking and Barbara Walters was retiring, there was speculation that one possible scenario would be Katie transitioning into The View. I think it's a good fit. I don't think Diane wants to be bogged down with daily show responsibilities. Before her mother and her husband passed, she was already off traveling overseas shooting ABC News specials, one of which will air in spring.

I don't see Diane coming in but Katie could definitely happen. Katie could retain her roll at Yahoo as Global News Anchor and get a TV presence with Yahoo's partner ABC on The View. I'm sure Katie wants to get back on TV.

I think she does as well, but I don't think The View is the best fit for her. Since her days on Today, Katie appears to want to be a Serious Journalist , along the lines of a Diane Sawyer, and I don't think that The View furthers those goals, and the same applies for someone like Diane who has already made their name as a Serious Journalist . I think that Katie would admit that her talk show was a bit of a misstep; I think she thought it'd be something different than what it was.

What they need is a breakfast newser, someone who can equally do entertainment/pop culture and more serious news, and someone whose career won't be negatively impacted by expressing a (occasionally unpopular) opinion on the news and events of the day.

I think Katie could do better on The View than her last 2 TV roles, primarily due to the ensemble format. As a solo act, her personality becomes overwhelming to many. There's no way she'd be as successful as when she was on Today, but that was a case of lightning striking a bottle twice (or whatever that crappy analogy says). That kind of team and subsequent chemistry may never be recreated, and certainly not on this show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Recap of the soap opera drama called The View as well inside information about that Katie Couric-Matt Lauer daytime show that was in the works, presented by Vanity Fair: The View's Epic Fight for Survival

If there's truth to these accounts, it amazes me how disorganized the show has gotten behind-the-scenes. From various ABC execs to the multiple transitions of producers, there seems to have been too many cooks in kitchen, which it all comes down to egos not wanting to collaborate together.

I've seen some episodes of this show within the past season and I do feel like the show has slowly gotten its groove back. There was so much unneeded tension between O'Donnell and the other panel hosts, especially between Whoopi and O'Donnell. Whoever thought having both of those people together should have been fired. I did like O'Donnell though, there was magic at times when she was passionate about a particular segment or subject, but unfortunately she was shaky and unreliable during the rest of the time. O'Donnell's exit improved the show I would say, as Whoopi has reclaimed captain of the ship. I do believe that both Wallace and Perez also found their voices on the show, it did take some time, but both seem more comfortable with live television. As for who should join them? My favorite has been Michelle Collins, she has the wit and charm, which has been missing on the show; the same thing could be said about Stacy London. I also think Paula Farris of ABC News could help bring more balance to the show, as she has brought her Christian experiences to the table, she might be able to bring Middle America back to the show after so many of them have said they left since Hasselbeck's exit. I also do like ESPN's Samantha Ponder as well, if they are interested in getting back the younger demographic. Raven seems to be a popular candidate though. I wouldn't mind if they tried out S.E. Copp, Sunny Hostin or Sage Steele again from last year's try outs, but it seems like those bridges were burned from their chemistry tests that they had with Whoopi and O'Donnell.