ABC The View

BehindNYNews

For all we know, ABC might move General Hospital to 11am ET and put "GAA" in the 2pm slot. Granted, I don't know if GH would drag down affiliates' midday newscast numbers but at least "GAA" would be able to do hand-to-hand combat with The Talk instead of competing with the juggernaut that is The Price is Right on CBS.

Just a thought... What if they did away with the "LIVE!" branding for Kelly and Michael, and made them the 3rd hour of Good Morning America, followed by the 4th hour with Lara and whoever would co anchor with her...

Although it is produced by an ABC affiliate and airs predominantly on ABC stations, it is not an ABC network program. It is syndicated by Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

I don't see this happening at all. Soaps are way to expensive to operate and I think GMA/GAA has a better chance than a game show. I don't think its much of a question what would replace The View, I think its just whether The View will be canceled.

Yeah the soaps have been expensive for years, and the networks have cut the licenese fees, and it cost 50 million dollars to produce the soaps each year. ABC has owned all their soaps, and General Hospital got a surge in the ratings the last 2years cycle. I think all three networks are waiting for the dust to die down. CBS has a contract for their soaps until 2017 and NBC contract run through 2016. ABC never really has a contract, because they have always owned their.

However Good Afternoon America or a 9am Edition of GMA the question is do we really need another morning news/ fluff program? I think ABC going to change The View host again, because their not going to concede to CBS. CBS' The Talk is NOW besting The View. The View, The Chew and General Hospital will remain the same probably for the next year or two. They don't want to upset the apple cart on the soap opera front just yet.

Yeah the soaps have been expensive for years, and the networks have cut the licenese fees, and it cost 50 million dollars to produce the soaps each year. ABC has owned all their soaps, and General Hospital got a surge in the ratings the last 2years cycle. I think all three networks are waiting for the dust to die down. CBS has a contract for their soaps until 2017 and NBC contract run through 2016. ABC never really has a contract, because they have always owned their.

However Good Afternoon America or a 9am Edition of GMA the question is do we really need another morning news/ fluff program? I think ABC going to change The View host again, because their not going to concede to CBS. CBS' The Talk is NOW besting The View. The View, The Chew and General Hospital will remain the same probably for the next year or two. They don't want to upset the apple cart on the soap opera front just yet.

I don't see ABC canceling GH yet. CBS and NBC still have soaps and if they cancel their last soap, they're probably gonna lose quite a few viewers. I think we have to wait until the next decade before we see soaps disappear completely from networks.

My predictions:

1. The View gets cancelled in 2016 and/or is moved to another network. - The show's ratings aren't as bad as press reports are making it out to be. They're on par with last year's ratings. It's hard for a show which mostly talks politics to excel during a year when politics are not at the forefront of the conversation right now. Let's also not forget that media disparity is at an all time high. There are so many more choices at 11 a.m. now than there were in Rosie's heyday during her first stint with the show.

Despite all of these factors, I think because Sherwood is taking over as head honcho of ABC and his favor-ability lies with GMA, "The View" will get cancelled or go on a hiatus. The network will wait until late 2015 or early 2016 to cancel it. I think it could possibly move to another broadcast network, cable or even syndication. Barbara Walters wouldn't let the show die just because ABC wants it to. I think NBC and Lifetime would be the early favorites.

2. "GAA" moves to 2pm, "The Chew" to 11am - Lara Spencer and 2 other co-hosts (round robin of contributors) will lead the show. I think "GAA" would probably rate on par with "The View" or perhaps a little better. I believe they beat "The Talk" while they were competing against one another back in 2012. It also helps ABC News in case major breaking news happens. If it's breaking news that the cable networks are going wall-to-wall with but the network doesn't want to preempt programming for, ABC News would have the 2pm hour to itself. I remember "GAA" covering the Colorado movie shooting extensively with ABC News reporters during the first half hour and "GMA" type contributors like psychologists and detectives during the second half hour.

3. "Live" is not joining "GMA" - Syndication money is too lucrative, Strahan/Ripa's paychecks are much better from syndication than they are from the network. Unless the network cancels "Rachael Ray," I don't foresee them moving "Live" to 10 a.m. Ray isn't that well-rated but she's not bad enough to cancel either + her show is cheap + she's a symbol of ABC and Scripps' cordial relationship + there is no one available to replace her which would be higher rated (unless they added another hour of "GMA" but that would mean the network getting another hour from affiliates which I doubt they'd be willing to give up.)

Whether all this comes to pass or not, what I do know for sure is that some way, some how, ABC is going to introduce another hour of "GMA." They recently cancelled "GMA Live" on Yahoo! and I imagine that they did so to get staffers prepared for another new show.

My predictions:

1. The View gets cancelled in 2016 and/or is moved to another network. - The show's ratings aren't as bad as press reports are making it out to be. They're on par with last year's ratings. It's hard for a show which mostly talks politics to excel during a year when politics are not at the forefront of the conversation right now. Let's also not forget that media disparity is at an all time high. There are so many more choices at 11 a.m. now than there were in Rosie's heyday during her first stint with the show.

Despite all of these factors, I think because Sherwood is taking over as head honcho of ABC and his favor-ability lies with GMA, "The View" will get cancelled or go on a hiatus. The network will wait until late 2015 or early 2016 to cancel it. I think it could possibly move to another broadcast network, cable or even syndication. Barbara Walters wouldn't let the show die just because ABC wants it to. I think NBC and Lifetime would be the early favorites.

2. "GAA" moves to 2pm, "The Chew" to 11am - Lara Spencer and 2 other co-hosts (round robin of contributors) will lead the show. I think "GAA" would probably rate on par with "The View" or perhaps a little better. I believe they beat "The Talk" while they were competing against one another back in 2012. It also helps ABC News in case major breaking news happens. If it's breaking news that the cable networks are going wall-to-wall with but the network doesn't want to preempt programming for, ABC News would have the 2pm hour to itself. I remember "GAA" covering the Colorado movie shooting extensively with ABC News reporters during the first half hour and "GMA" type contributors like psychologists and detectives during the second half hour.

3. "Live" is not joining "GMA" - Syndication money is too lucrative, Strahan/Ripa's paychecks are much better from syndication than they are from the network. Unless the network cancels "Rachael Ray," I don't foresee them moving "Live" to 10 a.m. Ray isn't that well-rated but she's not bad enough to cancel either + her show is cheap + she's a symbol of ABC and Scripps' cordial relationship + there is no one available to replace her which would be higher rated (unless they added another hour of "GMA" but that would mean the network getting another hour from affiliates which I doubt they'd be willing to give up.)

Whether all this comes to pass or not, what I do know for sure is that some way, some how, ABC is going to introduce another hour of "GMA." They recently cancelled "GMA Live" on Yahoo! and I imagine that they did so to get staffers prepared for another new show.

ABC is the majority owner of The View. Bill Geddie sold all of his stake to ABC while Barbara sold all but 17% of her stake in the show. There was an article on it last summer while rumors were swirling of cast changes. So the chances that The View moves to another network are none.

ABC does not own/produce The Rachael Ray show, so they wouldn't have the ability to cancel the show.

ABC is the majority owner of The View. Bill Geddie sold all of his stake to ABC while Barbara sold all but 17% of her stake in the show. There was an article on it last summer while rumors were swirling of cast changes. So the chances that The View moves to another network are none.

ABC does not own/produce The Rachael Ray show, so they wouldn't have the ability to cancel the show.

Couldn't ABC cause a cancelation by pulling the show would lose their largest markets but I'm sure another group could snatch it up quickly.

Barbara sold her 50% last summer to ABC, and she thought ABC was going to keep Geddie, but once ABC got a hold of the show "major changes" happened behind the scenes. Now The View is apart of ABC News. I don't think they will canceled it just yet, because over at CBS The Talk is doing really good. I think ABC will refresh the show again, and probably bring on some old faces even Babs.

It also a vehicle to promote ABC's shows, and CBS does the samething on The Talk, but The View not going down without a fight. OMG! Do we need to see Lara Spencer on any Good Morning Whatever? I don't know how she lost out on Mary Hart's job at E.T...

In terms of this, this is all stuff that people here contributed to. The reports themselves have a GAA/GMA type show replacing The View in The View time slot and thats it.

I know. It seems like a few people on this thread need to research how syndication, affiliate agreements, etc. all work first before speculating!

Back to the original topic -- I think a GMA/GAA style show would work well at 11am.. and would certainly be better than whatever The View is airing these days. The Chew at 11am is an interesting idea, too, with a more relaxed new/entertain program like GAA following local stations' midday newscasts.

I know. It seems like a few people on this thread need to research how syndication, affiliate agreements, etc. all work first before speculating!

I don't know that they (I should really say we because I contributed some) were speculating more than saying what ideally could happen.

Just to be clear and concise on my opinion, I think that The View will be canceled and GAA/GMA will take over that hour with Lara Spencer and another male, and maybe even 3 or 4 co-hosts.

Now, I think moving The Chew to 11am and adding GAA at 1pm would be good, but we'll have to see if ABC wants to mess with The Chew with their recent ratings success. No matter what, I'm sure everyone at ABC News wants GMA expanded some how, some way, its a matter of when, not if.

In seattle the ABC affiliate airs it's midday newscasts at 11am ala KABC in LA, while the others stations air it at noon. The chew airs at noon with GH airing at 1 and so on. Live with Kelly and Michael is at 9 am and The View follows after at 10. If the view gets cancelled I could see something like this:

7 - 9am GMA

9 - 10 Live with Kelly & Michael

10 - 11 The Chew

11 - 12 Local News

12 - 1 GAA.

1 - 3 soaps

3 - 4 Steve Harvey

4 - 5:30 local news

5:30 - 6 World News Tonight

6 - 7 local news

...and so on

Walters and Geddie could still take the concept elsewhere. And ABC could simply drop the show from their O&O's lineups.

Live with Kelly and Michael has to be on early that's first off.. Then here's an idea which I know most will say no to.. Move the local news from Noon to 11am.. Have the chew on at noon and then GAA at 1pm.. Especially if it's more of a lifestyle/talk show.. A good lead in for the soaps of people choose to stay after the other shows.. Just a thought.. In New York anyway the 3pm slot is against Ellen and Dr.Phil so unless they're very confident I dint think they'll put GAA or Chew at 3pm

I don't know that they (I should really say we because I contributed some) were speculating more than saying what ideally could happen.

Just to be clear and concise on my opinion, I think that The View will be canceled and GAA/GMA will take over that hour with Lara Spencer and another male, and maybe even 3 or 4 co-hosts.

Now, I think moving The Chew to 11am and adding GAA at 1pm would be good, but we'll have to see if ABC wants to mess with The Chew with their recent ratings success. No matter what, I'm sure everyone at ABC News wants GMA expanded some how, some way, its a matter of when, not if.

If they were to add 3-4 hosts/panelists to a GAA show, then why not just put them The View? It would be a whole lot easier, cheaper and still have that recognizable brand. Heck, the graphics/feel/set of The View right now look like they would fit GAA...

Walters and Geddie could still take the concept elsewhere. And ABC could simply drop the show from their O&O's lineups.

Why? They wouldn't be able to use the name, or any concepts that are too similar to The View, so i'm not sure what the purpose would be. ABC is the owner of The View brand/show, plain and simple. I'm pretty sure that the network has a clause that would prohibit Walters and Geddie from starting a similar show that could compete with The View and at this point, I doubt Barbara is looking to work full time. Barbara mentioned how they had a chance years ago to take The View to syndication but they decided against it because ABC provided stability, good money and a prime spot on the daytime schedule.

Here is an article from the NY Daily News on why ABC might not be ready to cancel the show, despite the rumors...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/view-troubles-not-finished-article-1.2081076

The changes to The View this season have made the show unwatchable. The topics are softer (so soft that they're just plain bland) and there is very little debate. Part of what made the show fun and engaging was the back-and-forth banter about political and social issues, which grew heated on occasion, broken up by comic relief from the brilliant Joy Behar and Sherri Shepherd. None of that is present anymore. Not to mention, Rosie O'Donnell is just an unpleasant ass.

Have there been any further reports suggesting why Geddie, Sherri Shepherd, and Jenny McCarthy were tossed to the curb? Jenny was decent, but Sherri was really excellent on the show. I can't understand why they would let her go, unless it was something simple like a contract renegotiation dispute.

The changes to The View this season have made the show unwatchable. The topics are softer (so soft that they're just plain bland) and there is very little debate. Part of what made the show fun and engaging was the back-and-forth banter about political and social issues, which grew heated on occasion, broken up by comic relief from the brilliant Joy Behar and Sherri Shepherd. None of that is present anymore. Not to mention, Rosie O'Donnell is just an unpleasant ass.

Have there been any further reports suggesting why Geddie, Sherri Shepherd, and Jenny McCarthy were tossed to the curb? Jenny was decent, but Sherri was really excellent on the show. I can't understand why they would let her go, unless it was something simple like a contract renegotiation dispute.

Good points. If you believe the tabloids... Jenny never caught on with the viewers and her whole anti-vaccination stance was one of the main reasons why- plus she was boring and unfunny. Although towards the end of her time on the show, she did get more bold and spoke her mind quite a bit. Sherri was probably a casualty of the sagging ratings and the fact that her time on the panel had run its course. So it's not surprising that they could not agree on a new contract. Geddie was forced out by the network once Barbara sold her stake in the show to ABC, plus it has been widely reported that Rosie O'Donnell and Geddie despised each other. I can't remember if I read that she would only come back to the show if he was no longer the EP of the show. During the summer turmoil, Whoopi supposedly wanted out of her contract but she still had a few years on her deal so ABC say no. It has been reported that she is still under contract for next season at $5 million bucks- she'll get paid whether the show airs or not. Joy, regardless of politics was a big loss for the show. After she left, it felt like The View lost its identity. There have been enough hints from Joy these past few years to suggest that she was pushed out by the higher ups at ABC. And if i'm not mistaken, the decision was made by Ann Sweeney (who was instrumental in bringing Rosie O back to the show).

Yeah everything your saying is true. McCarthy was never a catch for the audience, and I heard she tested low when she went in on the screen test. It been reported that O' Donnell thing was if she comes back Geddie had to go, and he did. The article said that ABC will lose that real estate to the local affiliates. In the game scheme of things ABC will continue The View for another year IMO. They will find a niche that will work, and I wouldn't be surprise if some for faces will re-appear. ABC is not going to concede to CBS just yet.

It's very fascinating. Go to YouTube and look up clips of The View when it was with Whoopi, Joy, Sherri, Elisabeth and Barbra and turn the TV on tomorrow and you will see such a huge difference. I'm talking beyond the set, graphics and hosts. Frankly, you can see why the show isn't doing well anymore. It's sad because the show was such a groundbreaking program.

---

If rather than canceling The View, ABC chooses to make more changes, they should try to get Joy back and Barbra should return. I'd say bring Elisabeth back but I'm sure she is happy at Fox. But Nicole Wallace is really great on the show and she has filled Elisabeth's spot well. Whoopi, Joy, Nicole and Barbra would be a solid team and I think they would be able to bring the show back. And yes, if you hadn't noticed, Rosie O. was not in that, she needs to leave SOON.

The thing with The View is that all of their most memorable moments came when the panelists disagreed and didn't get along (think of the whole Rosie v. Elisabeth situation that ended with Rosie leaving the show that very day). The debates on The View used to make headlines online and on other tv programs. Today its just another female centric talk show that has just blended in. I was actually watching todays show for a few minutes and before tossing to a commercial, Rosie said, "This is The TALK"! Not sure if it was a joke or a mistake but thats exactly what a got from the entire show. It's now a program where everyone gets along and agrees with each other and even if they don't, they don't seem to involved to strongly support their view (no pun intended). I really don't think they can recapture that same aspect that made The View what it was, a group of unique women talking about topics that only men had the opportunity to talk about together on tv before Barbra started to show.

I commend the show for what it was and how it shaped our pop culture (even making the term "Hot Topics" a part of my casual vocabulary) but i think it's time to close up shop. The View has defiantly lost it's nerve which was what the show was. It's so sad to see a show that will forever be remembered for what it was when it began, be degraded to what it currently is.

Babs is not coming back full-time. She wants to be done. She'd like some (semi-)retirement before she dies.

Agreed. Regardless, you get the gist of my post...

And I agree with the statement above saying that The View needs controversy. Rosie O. and Nicole should be arguing a lot more. I don't know if Nicole doesn't want to fight or if Rosie doesn't want another Elizabeth but that is what made the show interesting and that's what needs to happen. The show needs to stop talking about Justin Beiber and it needs to start talking about politics, social issues and all the important stuff that made the show sucessfull. The View can be fixed, they just don't seem to want to do it.

Part of the problem lies with the fact that Rosie wants to do the show her way. She wants to be the moderator and have the show revolve around Rosie. She really is not interested in talking politics or reality/pop culture topics. If she were in charge, The View would be arts & crafts, discussions on social issues and some current events and celebrity interviews. The show has become unbearable as you have Whoopi constantly being negative- almost like she is doing it on purpose to piss Rosie O. off. NIcolle seems intimidated by Rosie, she has gotten better about voicing her point of view but Rosie often cuts her off. I really think that they should do better once O'Donnell is off the show.

Part of the problem lies with the fact that Rosie wants to do the show her way. She wants to be the moderator and have the show revolve around Rosie. She really is not interested in talking politics or reality/pop culture topics. If she were in charge, The View would be arts & crafts, discussions on social issues and some current events and celebrity interviews. The show has become unbearable as you have Whoopi constantly being negative- almost like she is doing it on purpose to piss Rosie O. off. NIcolle seems intimidated by Rosie, she has gotten better about voicing her point of view but Rosie often cuts her off. I really think that they should do better once O'Donnell is off the show.

She's way too progressive.

I'm talking about the set. Remember her backstab about the original set that looked like a grandmother's living room? In fact the set was the good ole days of watching The View from a male POV. They really did talk about girl issues, and the politics was always half an A-block, it was part of the larger discussion, not the other way around.

Ever since the set change, I hated the stage setup. It looks like a Broadway without the musical or a daily drama performance. A canned presentation of people fighting over the dinner table, just the difference is this show is set up with cameras and a satellite dish. The curtains on the set should shutter going to break!