ABC The View

BehindNYNews

The View is now a part of the ABC News division. Rosie Perez was just fired from The View, Rosie O has apparently been a nightmare to work with for everyone at The View and there is little to no doubt that at the end of Whoopi's contract, she will not renew it. Basically everyone at The View is in panic mode trying to fix the show from its lowest ratings ever.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901076/The-beginning-end-Rosie-Whoopi-ABC-considers-abandoning-View-extending-Good-Morning-America-infighting-grows-ratings-plunge.html, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913695/PICTURE-EXCLUSIVE-Somber-Rosie-Perez-leaves-Brooklyn-home-time-FIRED-View-rumblings-reveal-not-let-go.html, http://s2smagazine.com/2015/01/16/rosie-perez-exits-the-view-after-4-months-on-the-job/

From the first article, I find this interesting,

'They plan on shooting some test shows in the coming weeks to freshen up the Good Afternoon America concept. They plan to shoot a few pilot episodes following GMA going off air and retooling the show just in case they need to have it ready for a late summer launch,' the source revealed.

This has come up before but I feel like it is most viable now than it ever has been before. I am interested in all of your opinions on the possibility that ABC does in fact cancel The View and extends GMA to either a 3rd hour or does some sort of GAA as is mentioned in the above articles as well as nearly every other one you can find on the web.

To supplement this, what would a third hour look like? Who would anchor it? Would it be successful?

Based on the first article, this would be a GAA like show airing in The View's time slot, so it wouldn't be 3 consecutive hours. The weird part about the 10/11am time slot is, what do you call the show? If you call it GMA, your naming it the same as the 7am show while its not directly connected. But if you name it GAA, it isn't the afternoon yet. The program would be great lead into the midday news though.

If The View is canceled, I think its safe to say GMA/GAA will replace it, the real question is, will The View be canceled. For those who haven't seen GAA, ABC conveniently posted an entire episode just two months ago. Check it out! http://vimeo.com/111441058

The View is now a part of the ABC News division.

Rosie Perez was just fired from The View, Rosie O has apparently been a nightmare to work with for everyone at The View and basically everyone at The View is in panic mode trying to fix the show from its lowest ratings ever.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901076/The-beginning-end-Rosie-Whoopi-ABC-considers-abandoning-View-extending-Good-Morning-America-infighting-grows-ratings-plunge.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913695/PICTURE-EXCLUSIVE-Somber-Rosie-Perez-leaves-Brooklyn-home-time-FIRED-View-rumblings-reveal-not-let-go.html

http://s2smagazine.com/2015/01/16/rosie-perez-exits-the-view-after-4-months-on-the-job/

And now for the real reason I bring this up. This has come up before but I feel like it is most viable now than it ever has been before. I am interested in all of your opinions on the possibility that ABC does in fact cancel The View and extends GMA to either a 3rd hour or does some sort of GAA as is mentioned in the above articles as well as nearly every other one you can find on the web.

To supplement this, what would a third hour look like? Who would anchor it? Would it be successful?

ABC has denied that Perez will be leaving/fired from the show. Rosie addressed it last week on the show saying that Perez will be back next month, once she is done with rehearsals for her play- We shall see, although her hiatus has been planned since she joined the show in September. Both Rosie's and Nicolle's contract are up after this year, Whoopi still has one year left on her contract (at a reported $5 million dollars). Despite all the turmoil and falling ratings, I think that ABC will stick with the show...for now at least. The show still makes money for the company and the presidential elections are coming up next year which is very lucrative in terms of ratings/ads. The View is one of a few shows where news events can be discussed alongside funny/quirky/pop culture/serious topics and then turn around and discuss politics without having to conform to the journalistic standard of a news program. While Good Afternoon America can be a good replacement, IMO it will severely limit what ABC/ABC News can do with that hour. I doubt that politics or serious topics will be on docket of a GAA show. The View needs a fresh approach (a couple of younger panelists) and go back to their bread and butter of discussing politics with differing views.

ABC has denied that Perez will be leaving/fired from the show. Rosie addressed it last week on the show saying that Perez will be back next month, once she is done with rehearsals for her play- We shall see, although her hiatus has been planned since she joined the show in September.

It's hard to say who is right and who is wrong but this source says that Rosie O was not aware of the firing and that it is in fact happening. We will see. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913695/PICTURE-EXCLUSIVE-Somber-Rosie-Perez-leaves-Brooklyn-home-time-FIRED-View-rumblings-reveal-not-let-go.html

The View needs a fresh approach (a couple of younger panelists) and go back to their bread and butter of discussing politics with differing views.

Sounds a lot like the refresh they tried this year and clearly that isn't working. I mean, how long can you keep a sinking ship from sinking? When is it time to say, this show was a ground breaking show, but its time is up?

The View is one of a few shows where news events can be discussed alongside funny/quirky/pop culture/serious topics and then turn around and discuss politics without having to conform to the journalistic standard of a news program. While Good Afternoon America can be a good replacement, IMO it will severely limit what ABC/ABC News can do with that hour. I doubt that politics or serious topics will be on docket of a GAA show.

When breaking news hit, GAA would cover it over celebrity news so I'm sure that would continue. And as elections approach, I'm sure that they would offer some coverage to it. They could even take a "This Week" type approach and have a few people come in and have an almost round table discussion and make it interesting to watch. At the end of the day, ABC doesn't care if the hour has politics or not, they want ratings and what sources are saying is that having a show connected to GMA will grow ratings in the time slot and ABC is evaluating this.

It's hard to say who is right and who is wrong but this source says that Rosie O was not aware of the firing and that it is in fact happening. We will see. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913695/PICTURE-EXCLUSIVE-Somber-Rosie-Perez-leaves-Brooklyn-home-time-FIRED-View-rumblings-reveal-not-let-go.html

Sounds a lot like the refresh they tried this year and clearly that isn't working. I mean, how long can you keep a sinking ship from sinking? When is it time to say, this show was a ground breaking show, but its time is up?

When breaking news hit, GAA would cover it over celebrity news so I'm sure that would continue. And as elections approach, I'm sure that they would offer some coverage to it. They could even take a "This Week" type approach and have a few people come in and have an almost round table discussion and make it interesting to watch. At the end of the day, ABC doesn't care if the hour has politics or not, they want ratings and what sources are saying is that having a show connected to GMA will grow ratings in the time slot and ABC is evaluating this.

The problem with this season's refresh was that it was hastily done. Bill Geddie the EP for the show was canned towards the end of the summer and the new EP Bill Wolfe only had a few weeks to decide on the remaining panelists while being handicapped with Rosie O'Donnell's hiring.

From the reports of GAA possibly making a comeback, it was mentioned that the show would focus on light-hearted/pop-culture topics. Yes, they could have the ability to cover breaking news, but that will be few and far between. A View type of program as I mentioned earlier, can delve into a variety of topics and guests that would be more far-reaching to all different types of viewers. If done correctly, they can attract young, old, affluent, etc. types of viewers. They don't need another straight-forward newscast, nor an Entertainment Tonight/The Insider type of program like GAA. They can fix The View, it will just take [more] time and [more] patience. Hell, even The Talk had a rough few years to start off, but eventually they climbed their way up. The View can get back there in time.

This has come up before but I feel like it is most viable now than it ever has been before. I am interested in all of your opinions on the possibility that ABC does in fact cancel The View and extends GMA to either a 3rd hour or does some sort of GAA as is mentioned in the above articles as well as nearly every other one you can find on the web.

]

If ABC did cancel The View they could move the time slot to the 9AM-10AM. I don't the affiliates would have a problem with it as long as they don't loose an hour of syndication (remember NBC cannibalized Passions so they could launch the fourth hour of Today which cleared almost every affiliate.) I think it will be successful as long as it's a continuos show because of the momentum GMA provides that I don't think syndication could offer.

The only problem I could see with this plan would be with Live with Kelly and Michael which airs primarily on ABC but also airs on at least 20 other affiliates. I would expect ABC would want Live to remain live on their affiliates but this would cause the non ABC affiliates to redo their schedules.

If ABC did cancel The View they could move the time slot to the 9AM-10AM. I don't the affiliates would have a problem with it as long as they don't loose an hour of syndication (remember NBC cannibalized Passions so they could launch the fourth hour of Today which cleared almost every affiliate.) I think it will be successful as long as it's a continuos show because of the momentum GMA provides that I don't think syndication could offer.

The only problem I could see with this plan would be with Live with Kelly and Michael which airs primarily on ABC but also airs on at least 20 other affiliates. I would expect ABC would want Live to remain live on their affiliates but this would cause the non ABC affiliates to redo their schedules.

An even easier method to instituting "Good Afternoon America" would be to move "The Chew" to the "The View"'s time-slot.

11am ET/10am CT: The Chew

1pm ET/Noon CT: Good Afternoon America

ABC dont need to do a pilot for 'Good Afternoon America', remember friends when abc ended OLTL ?? during the time where they were moving GH from its lofty 3PM eastern Time perch to 2PM, ABC to fill the 2PM void aired 'GOOD AFTERNOON AMERICA W/Lara Spencer and Josh Elliott' as a summer replacement.

And as we all know , 'when you deny, its only because ITS TRUE'

ABC dont need to do a pilot for 'Good Afternoon America', remember friends when abc ended OLTL ?? during the time where they were moving GH from its lofty 3PM eastern Time perch to 2PM, ABC to fill the 2PM void aired 'GOOD AFTERNOON AMERICA W/Lara Spencer and Josh Elliott' as a summer replacement.

Wait a minute...Good Afternoon America existed, it wasn't just something made up for this discussion?

Of course they need a pilot. The first version went the Regis route of a male/female duo, but with Josh gone, there's a good chance they'd be going with a female ensemble (I know it doesn't fill a quota, but let's say Lara, Amy, Ginger and/or Sara).

Wait a minute...Good Afternoon America existed, it wasn't just something made up for this discussion?

Of course they need a pilot. The first version went the Regis route of a male/female duo, but with Josh gone, there's a good chance they'd be going with a female ensemble (I know it doesn't fill a quota, but let's say Lara, Amy, Ginger and/or Sara).

Yes it did in 2012 or 13 for a summer... Then it quietly disappeared. They advertised the thing so I'm surprised you missed it.

I'm not sure I agree that it will be a female. I think just like they added Michael to the 7am hour, they will try to add a male for this hour. My guess is Ryan Smith.

Its not really a pilot they are doing, its just practice because it hasn't been done in 3 years...

Just a thought... What if they did away with the "LIVE!" branding for Kelly and Michael, and made them the 3rd hour of Good Morning America, followed by the 4th hour with Lara and whoever would co anchor with her...

I've thought about this before, I definitely agree this would be a great idea. Michael is already a member of GMA so it would just be Kelly joining and they could just keep doing what they are doing. The only thing I wonder, maybe Kelly and Michael are the fourth hour to go against Hoda and Kathy Lee and the 3rd hour could be more like Today's Take with Lara and 2 or 3 other GMA co anchors (Ryan, Sara, Ginger and/or Amy).

I've thought about this before, I definitely agree this would be a great idea. Michael is already a member of GMA so it would just be Kelly joining and they could just keep doing what they are doing. The only thing I wonder, maybe Kelly and Michael are the fourth hour to go against Hoda and Kathy Lee and the 3rd hour could be more like Today's Take with Lara and 2 or 3 other GMA co anchors (Ryan, Sara, Ginger and/or Amy).

Or maybe the third hour of GMA goes to 9am, Live with Kelly & Michael moves to 10am (for those who carry it) and whatever syndicated program is at 10am (Rachel Ray) moves to 11am.

Kind of surprised they didn't take back the "Katie" hour to add to GMA. I don't think "The F.A.B." will do any better as a replacement for "Katie". I think "The View" has more worth than "The F.A.B." does.

I'd also point out, that Ben Sherwood is now President of ABC TV, he would probably love to expand GMA.

Reading tone and context on the internet is loads of fun :)

I never actually even saw the show itself... Was it worth much?

ABC conveniently posted an entire episode just two months ago. Check it out! http://vimeo.com/111441058

GAA wasn't funded much because it was a temporary show, I'm sure if it returns or if GMA is expanded, they will have more money to play with.

My opinion, close up shop on the view. Cancel the show and just add either game shows or soap operas to the schedule.

I don't see this happening at all. Soaps are way to expensive to operate and I think GMA/GAA has a better chance than a game show. I don't think its much of a question what would replace The View, I think its just whether The View will be canceled.

Don't see GMA bumping LIVE to 10am anytime soon or ABC News taking over LIVE from WABC-TV and turning it into a 3rd hour network morning show. Syndication deals and affiliate agreements are a cash cow for Disney/ABC. If anything, we can expect a midday version of GMA to pop up again in a time slot that the network already owns or has more leeway with.

Don't see GMA bumping LIVE to 10am anytime soon or ABC News taking over LIVE from WABC-TV and turning it into a 3rd hour network morning show. Syndication deals and affiliate agreements are a cash cow for Disney/ABC. If anything, we can expect a midday version of GMA to pop up again in a time slot that the network already owns or has more leeway with.

In terms of this, this is all stuff that people here contributed to. The reports themselves have a GAA/GMA type show replacing The View in The View time slot and thats it.

In terms of this, this is all stuff that people here contributed to. The reports themselves have a GAA/GMA type show replacing The View in The View time slot and thats it.

I think the previous commentator is aware that the comments are just our thoughts and nothing more. While you are correct that some of us have speculated, I don't think the time slot has been confirmed. Not saying a replacement show won't air at 11am, but the reports only say "it is likely to replace The View", not that "it is likely to replace The View at 11am".

I think the previous commentator is aware that the comments are just our thoughts and nothing more. While you are correct that some of us have speculated, I don't think the time slot has been confirmed. Not saying a replacement show won't air at 11am, but the reports only say "it is likely to replace The View", not that "it is likely to replace The View at 11am".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901076/The-beginning-end-Rosie-Whoopi-ABC-considers-abandoning-View-extending-Good-Morning-America-infighting-grows-ratings-plunge.html

'The idea to bring back Good Afternoon America is something that's strongly being considered. They believe the success of GMA could carry over right into that 11am slot that The View currently holds,' another insider said.

So yeah, its not confirmed, but that's what is being reported.

I stand corrected. If it comes back as GAA, it almost has to be time shifted because of the title. Anyway, I think at this point most of the reports are also speculatory.