All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Raycom purchasing Drewry, I don't see the company buying Meredith; no way and no how. And speaking of Raycom acquiring Drewry; FCC approval of the sale expected to be granted before the end of the year.

Could you see Raycom buying Griffin Communications? I mean, assuming the company considers selling its assets. It would put them deeper into Oklahoma, though it has radio and digital media assets, the former of which Raycom doesn't have.

Could you see Raycom buying Griffin Communications? I mean, assuming the company considers selling its assets. It would put them deeper into Oklahoma, though it has radio and digital media assets, the former of which Raycom doesn't have.

Slim. Now I know it's way off, but I would picture TEGNA acquiring Griffin.

I doubt Raycom would go after Meredith's TV group. Yes, it does get them into Mobile, New England, the Northwest, and the big prize, Atlanta, but does Raycom actually have $800 million to spend? Probably not.

All you need is some idiot to loan you the money.

It happens every day of the week.

All you need is some idiot to loan you the money.

It happens every day of the week.

But the $800 million question is would Raycom want to be leveraged that extensively. They are, after all, controlled by the Alabama Teachers Retirement System.

Look what happened to the California Teachers Retirement system. They invested in stuff that will take them millions of years to recover from....

Don't get me started on "Clear Channel" AKA I Heart Media...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but it seems that Raycom is the home of "First Alert Weather" in markets that do not use "First Alert" already. For an example, search "Raycom" in your app store and you'll notice that the majority of the group is "First Alert".

Slim. Now I know it's way off, but I would picture TEGNA acquiring Griffin.

I think TEGNA makes sense because that's the only big major station group that doesn't own a station(s) in either Oklahoma City or Tulsa markets. Because I know Hearst, Scripps, Tribune among others owns a station in at least one of those markets. Sinclair is the only big station group that owns TV stations in both Oklahoma TV Markets (They own KOKH/KOCB in OKC and KTUL in Tulsa).

On the other hand TexasTVNews who do you picture a station group that has the best chance at acquiring Griffin?

I think TEGNA makes sense because that's the only big major station group that doesn't own a station(s) in either Oklahoma City or Tulsa markets. Because I know Hearst, Scripps, Tribune among others owns a station in at least one of those markets. Sinclair is the only big station group that owns TV stations in both Oklahoma TV Markets (They own KOKH/KOCB in OKC and KTUL in Tulsa).

On the other hand TexasTVNews who do you picture a station group that has the best chance at acquiring Griffin?

I would see either Graham Media Group, COX, Media General, and Tegna. But I know that's not happening but would you picture KWTV & KOTV as a CBS O&O?

I would see either Graham Media Group, COX, Media General, and Tegna. But I know that's not happening but would you picture KWTV & KOTV as a CBS O&O?

I can't see the Griffin stations being an CBS O&O or Cox buying Griffin stations (especially KOTV/KQCW) since how they already own KOKI and KMYT in Tulsa. Graham would be a very interesting group along with TEGNA. I would picture TEGNA, Graham, Media General and Cox as possible buyers and I would give TEGNA the best shot at buying the Griffin stations given the fact that they do have prior ownership experience especially in the OKC market (they owned KOCO until they traded KOCO to Argyle for WZZM/Grand Rapids and WGRZ/Buffalo) and WLWT/Cincinnati was included in that trade (which is why you see "Copyright 2015 Ohio/Oklahoma Hearst Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved" at the end of the newscasts).

Strange. WMC isn't using it and no one else in Memphis does.

Looks like that's about to change soon, with the reveal of a "revolutionary new tool that will redefine Mid-South weather coverage" on Sunday... commercials point to it being a weather van, and a logo they had up on-screen a couple days ago (whose photo file is too large to upload, sadly) was for "First Alert Storm Tracker 5" (another Raycom station I saw has a "Storm Tracker" as well). I'd suspect the new graphics are coming with it too, and Andrew Kozak confirms: [MEDIA=twitter]641920132445552640[/MEDIA]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Nope. They just have some info sections on the main WTOL website.

Also of note, WUPW now refers to itself as Fox 36 rather than Fox Toledo.

With that being said, I wonder if American Spirit Media (WUPW's actual owners) would put the station in the spectrum auction, while its programming is moved to a WTOL subchannel. It's happening a lot in smaller markets, and now it's starting to show up in mid-sized markets like Chattanooga. In the case of WTOL/WUPW, some diginets would have to go.

Raycom/American Spirit-owned Fox affiliate KYOU is starting up a news operation in Market 200 (Ottumwa/Kirksville) effectively ending the monopoly Sinclair-owned KTVO had on the market when it came to news. At least the weather portion will be produced out of WXIX in Cincinnati and it looks like they're getting a new logo as well.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/kyou-adding-local-news-900-pm-tomorrow/

The irony in all of this is that Raycom used to own KTVO (which is why KYOU is owned by Raycom's shell company instead of Raycom itself) until Raycom sold it to Barrington back in 2006.

12063759_1670926383125525_3636749779560937120_n.jpg?oh=c56dd90a4c02fa4a12c580bfdc861ab5&oe=56B94867

Raycom/American Spirit-owned Fox affiliate KYOU is starting up a news operation in Market 200 (Ottumwa/Kirksville) effectively ending the monopoly Sinclair-owned KTVO had on the market when it came to news. At least the weather portion will be produced out of WXIX in Cincinnati and it looks like they're getting a new logo as well.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2015/11/01/kyou-adding-local-news-900-pm-tomorrow/

The irony in all of this is that Raycom used to own KTVO (which is why KYOU is owned by Raycom's shell company instead of Raycom itself) until Raycom sold it to Barrington back in 2006.

12063759_1670926383125525_3636749779560937120_n.jpg?oh=c56dd90a4c02fa4a12c580bfdc861ab5&oe=56B94867

And Raycom should get full ownership of KYOU like it should've after it sold KTVO to Barrington.

I don't know what this means (if anything), but upon downloading the NewsOn app that live streams news broadcasts, I noticed that WMC was using a different "5" logo than what they use on air. It's possible that the app just picked the wrong "5" logo, but I don't recognize it from another station (maybe someone else does?).

203904f3e0609f3469c9fa640bb9989d.jpg

I don't know what this means (if anything), but upon downloading the NewsOn app that live streams news broadcasts, I noticed that WMC was using a different "5" logo than what they currently use. Now, someone could have just picked the wrong logo, but all of the other Raycom stations are using their correct logo. If WMC were to modify the logo, it'd make sense to do it now since they just changed to the new graphics.

203904f3e0609f3469c9fa640bb9989d.jpg

I don't think that's gonna be their new logo. It looks too generic if you ask me.

EDIT: That icon is actually WCSC's logo. Not WMC's.

And there would be a set redesign in order since the 5 doesn't match the 5 on the set. I don't think it is either, just thought it was interesting.

Wow, duh. Did a quick search through other Raycom logos since I figured that's what happened and somehow missed that one.

Archived