All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WMC/Memphis debuted a tweaked version of the current Raycom package today. The color they use for the graphics has become a darker blue, but most notably, they've stretched the lower thirds and some other on-screen graphics to take up more of the screen space. This was likely driven by a desire to include more text in the L3s and utilize HD screen area, but personally I think the entire look was cleaner within the safe zone. You can see the new look contrasted with the unchanged weather graphics in one of my photos attached to this post. The other shows the increased room for text on the L3s as well as the fact that the live bug has moved from the top left of the screen to above the time/temp bug. The time/temp bug in particular looks worse now, in my opinion, given the increased empty space and slight squeeze forced on the station's logo.

[ATTACH]4093[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4094[/ATTACH]

WECT just modified their supers the same but didn't change the color. The logo in the bug is a bit bigger and they took out wect.com.

WOIO looks like they'll be retooling their morning show. They have postings for THREE anchor positions for AM - one "Alert Desk" anchor and two at the main desk.

Tia Ewing is already gone, but no word on the other anchor Brian Duffy.

WOIO looks like they'll be retooling their morning show. They have postings for THREE anchor positions for AM - one "Alert Desk" anchor and two at the main desk.

Tia Ewing is already gone, but no word on the other anchor Brian Duffy.

Duffy has been with 19 for awhile so they shouldn't move him. Is he still on 19? How the new weather guy from 5 doing? How the 11 pm team since Romona no longer doing the 11 pm, and Denise got the boot?

WECT just modified their supers the same but didn't change the color. The logo in the bug is a bit bigger and they took out wect.com.

Now WMC has gone and edited the colors even more, making the leftmost vertical gold (to match their 5 symbol). Looks really weird, in my opinion...

1039410178_20170704_2203302.thumb.jpg.c0189d7e80f2a70b63b0d7fa76cfa89c.jpg

• 1 month later...
Kudos to Benson and Raycom for turning the station around and making VUE a serious competitor.

Watch. WVUE will kill in the ratings across the day and beat WWL and WDSU. For those underestimating WVUE, watch out. Its more of WWL's TEGNA-ized that's making WVUE become a threat to other stations, including WWL itself.

Watch. WVUE will kill in the ratings across the day and beat WWL and WDSU. For those underestimating WVUE, watch out. Its more of WWL's TEGNA-ized that's making WVUE become a threat to other stations, including WWL itself.

Plus of course WGNO which is an afterthought at all times...quite frankly it belongs with Sinclair even if the deal collapses (i.e. through a side deal).

• 2 weeks later...

WOIO is going to air "Inside Edition" at 4:30pm on Monday through Friday (I posted this on the "Out and About" thread, but thought it would need mention here). I wonder if 19 is cutting its 4pm news in half or dropping it altogether.

WMC/Memphis debuted a tweaked version of the current Raycom package today. The color they use for the graphics has become a darker blue, but most notably, they've stretched the lower thirds and some other on-screen graphics to take up more of the screen space. This was likely driven by a desire to include more text in the L3s and utilize HD screen area, but personally I think the entire look was cleaner within the safe zone. You can see the new look contrasted with the unchanged weather graphics in one of my photos attached to this post. The other shows the increased room for text on the L3s as well as the fact that the live bug has moved from the top left of the screen to above the time/temp bug. The time/temp bug in particular looks worse now, in my opinion, given the increased empty space and slight squeeze forced on the station's logo.

[ATTACH]4093[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4094[/ATTACH]

WDAM is using the stretched time/temp bug as well and a new ticker that is entirely too big. They are now using the light blue graphics in the evening. The orange is still being used only during the morning and Noon newscasts.

morning:

IMG_4973.thumb.PNG.6def72b7fd450e1851a967e74da03831.PNG

evening:

IMG_4967.thumb.PNG.e63ca6ea22b90812287bdc311109848b.PNG

IMG_4972.thumb.PNG.12e9a8a0f2f4f88af230bfc381836485.PNG

IMG_4977.thumb.PNG.4819c565ce6037f381b0d8ec58ec009d.PNG

I'm going to throw up...that is awful! I never thought that time and temp bug could be butchered like that.

It's obvious WOIO is/has been trying desperately to mimic the WMC/WECT logo scheme, but that is unbelievably painful.

Archived