All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder whether Gray will sell off the Raycom stations inside the top 60:

DMA 11a Sarasota, FL - WWSB (ABC - Scripps?)

DMA 19 Cleveland, OH - WOIO/WUAB (CBS/IND)

DMA 23 Charlotte, NC - WBTV (CBS)

DMA 35 Cincinnati, OH - WXIX (FOX)

DMA 37 West Palm Beach, FL - WLFX (FOX - Currently managed by Scripps)

DMA 44 Birmingham, AL - WBRC (FOX)

DMA 49 Louisville, KY - WAVE (NBC)

DMA 50 Memphis, TN - WMC (NBC)

DMA 51 New Orleans, LA - WVUE (Fox on line 1)

DMA 55 Richmond, VA - WWBT/WUPV (NBC/CW)

DMA already has Sinclair presence (or about to)

DMA does not have Sinclair (yet)

Hopefully with co-management by Raycom people inside the new Gray, status quo will prevail.

Hopefully Gray will start acting like a major broadcaster after merging with Raycom since it feels like they create "ripoffs" of major market stations, especially in the smaller markets.

It's like the South Park episode parodying Family Guy with the "idea balls"....when it comes to some of their slogans....

40006489?size=476x268&region=us

I'm surprised that WTNZ is #5 in Knoxville - anyone know who is #4 (assuming WATE, WVLT and WBIR are the top 3...)

Could be Ion's WPXK. Back when Hearst acquired WCWG, it submitted ratings data showing that WGPX ranked in the top 4 in the Greensboro market. It's possible the same may have occurred with WPXK during the most recent ratings period in Knoxville.

First: KSWO & KAUZ launched a consolidated half-hour weekend morning newscast that debuted today at 8 am. It is called "Texoma Weekend Morning News" and it fills the gap for an hour-long KAUZ newscast in the same timeslot that was cancelled in the past month or so. KSWO still produces a 6:30 AM newscast that only airs on that channel but falls under the same branding.

An update about that program: in a programming note featured on its newscasts today, KAUZ announced it will stop simulcasting the 8:00 a.m. half-hour of the Texoma Weekend Morning News on Sunday mornings starting this weekend, but will begin simulcasting the 6:30 half-hour of that program, which had exclusively aired on KSWO. The change is part of a scheduling realignment that will also see CBS News Sunday Morning and Face the Nation being moved up one hour (to 8:00 and 9:30 a.m., from its previous 9:00 and 10:30 slots) and Pathway to Victory (a syndicated religious program hosted by Dallas-based pastor Dr. Robert Jeffress) being displaced to FTN's prior 10:30 a.m. slot (from 8:30 a.m.).

It appears the change will not extend to Saturdays, where KAUZ airs the 8:00 a.m. half-hour in simulcast with KSWO, considering the Texoma Weekend Morning News has CBS This Morning Saturday as a lead-in and the CBS Dream Team (of which it carries all but a half-hour on Saturdays and the remaining half-hour on Sundays) as a lead-out.

Kinda odd they didn't choose to launch a 5:00 and/or 6:00 p.m. newscast on KYOU-DT2, in conjunction with the debut of the new 10:00 show.

• 1 month later...
WOIO and WUAB are adding new newscasts at 9am and 7:30pm in the fall.

9am makes sense since Rachael Ray is moving to WBNX in the fall. Unless Jeopardy is moving to 4:30pm in the fall on WOIO, WUAB is almost a shoe in for the 7:30pm newscast.

Where did you hear that from?

The 9am newscast was briefly mentioned one time when WUAB reported on the announcement of "Me Time with Frangela," which is slated to air right after that newscast. My guess is both will air on WUAB since Let's Make a Deal is already established at 10am on WOIO.

The 7:30pm newscast was also briefly mentioned, but during one of the anchor's FB live video. I don't exactly remember which one, but I do remember hearing 7:30. That might be on WUAB as well given that WOIO airs the Wheel/Jeopardy! combo from 7 to 8pm.

• 2 weeks later...
The 9am newscast was briefly mentioned one time when WUAB reported on the announcement of "Me Time with Frangela," which is slated to air right after that newscast. My guess is both will air on WUAB since Let's Make a Deal is already established at 10am on WOIO.

The 7:30pm newscast was also briefly mentioned, but during one of the anchor's FB live video. I don't exactly remember which one, but I do remember hearing 7:30. That might be on WUAB as well given that WOIO airs the Wheel/Jeopardy! combo from 7 to 8pm.

The 9am newscast is confirmed to start September 10th on WOIO as Sunnyside Up according to TitanTV, with Me Time taking the 9:30am slot.

Edit: Here's a link to the most recent SSU to give you an idea what it's about:

/www.cleveland19.com/clip/14590291/is-eating-meat-on-the-way-out

• 2 weeks later...

WMC has slightly updated their weather graphics. The upper third was extended across the screen to better match the lower third... but the weather icons were switched to this new style that I don't recognize. I would think that the extended upper third would imply that they are going to stick with the Raycom graphics a little while longer, but then again the fact that they've switched the icons has me wondering if that won't be the case after all. Anyone recognize the new icons at all? They're not from Gray, are they?

(Related... I saw it confirmed on Twitter that the new website and app designs being rolled out across Raycom stations are indeed from Gray.)

20180920_125307.thumb.jpg.7bc1f5b90cf7900553b4cb27d07a9863.jpg

WMC has slightly updated their weather graphics. The upper third was extended across the screen to better match the lower third... but the weather icons were switched to this new style that I don't recognize. I would think that the extended upper third would imply that they are going to stick with the Raycom graphics a little while longer, but then again the fact that they've switched the icons has me wondering if that won't be the case after all. Anyone recognize the new icons at all? They're not from Gray, are they?

(Related... I saw it confirmed on Twitter that the new website and app designs being rolled out across Raycom stations are indeed from Gray.)

It looks like they got some new WSI MAX Boxes, and didn't change the icons to the Raycom look. They had those icons in 2011.

upload_2018-9-20_21-36-20.thumb.png.cbf35ef31d2b201a2ff8fcb306040358.png

The new 9am program that debuted today on WOIO is broadcasting out of the station's streel studio overlooking the corner of E. 12th and Chester. The first time any morning show on 19 has done that since the late 1990's.

It’s interesting to see that 19/43 are experimenting to this extent. I’m not sure if a 7:30pm newscast will work, but who knows? At least they’re doing some things of note with 43.

The 9am newscast is almost in the same vein as WKYC’s “Live on Lakeside” infotainment/news hybrid.

It looks like they got some new WSI MAX Boxes, and didn't change the icons to the Raycom look. They had those icons in 2011.

[ATTACH=full]6510[/ATTACH]

Dang. You'd think I'd have remembered that, then. Thanks!

Strangely enough, they updated on Monday to the new upper thirds and doppler radar (assuming that's a result of the new WSI boxes as well), and had the current Raycom icons on the graphics through at least Wednesday. Not sure what prompted the switch. I like the current icons better, at least as far as ease of visibility against the background goes (but I do prefer their design, too).

• 2 weeks later...
Cleveland.com reports that WOIO and WUAB are expecting layoffs and resignations, but have not yet revealed who yet. Romona Robinson, though, has announced she's leaving the station later this year. Her decision, not the stations'.

WAFF just laid off three people last week.

WFXG in Augusta, GA received the new Raycom site design powered on ARC. Here's the problem though, WFXG is one of the Raycom stations being divested. So take that for what you will.

Archived