All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WLBT/WDBD in Jackson, MS is in the newsroom for all newscasts from what I can tell. Weather is also being done in the newsroom. I am not sure if they are getting a new set or not, but the set they have now is five years old and has had some upgrades (including the video wall).

UPDATE: The station painted the studio floor. No new set for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Fred D'Ambrosi has left WOIO/WUAB after serving as its news director for over two years. Rumor has it, a replacement has already been lined up.

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/1/5/canned-in-cleveland

Fred played a big role in the switch from 19 Action News to Cleveland 19 News. I wonder what changes could happen next.

I stopped in Wichita Falls overnight and have been able to catch KAUZ & KSWO.

First: KSWO & KAUZ launched a consolidated half-hour weekend morning newscast that debuted today at 8 am. It is called "Texoma Weekend Morning News" and it fills the gap for an hour-long KAUZ newscast in the same timeslot that was cancelled in the past month or so. KSWO still produces a 6:30 AM newscast that only airs on that channel but falls under the same branding.

There were a few kinks that popped up in the first edition of the joint program. The anchor made references to "7 News" on a couple of occasions on stories on the Oklahoma side of the market, but nothing similar for the Texas side with a reference to "NewsChannel 6". At times the breaks dropped at odd intervals. I watched from KAUZ and part of one segment was covered up by promos for CBS programs. There were a couple of other times where they went to black seemingly prematurely and the story ended somewhat abruptly.

It appears this is the latest move in consolidating operations between the two stations. The most visible one otherwise would be the fairly recent joint branding of the two stations' weather teams as "First Alert Weather", with promos showing all the members of the two teams.

Second: KSWO appears to be on a temporary set on the second level of their "newsplex." This was visible when I caught their news last night and during the morning news today, the stories were presented next to a large monitor, not in the traditional newsroom setting.

Unknown_31.1_20180105_1757.jpg.2effe404f8f505a8d3d3d7d7ebeb10f7.jpg

1404125108_Unknown_31.1_20180105_1757(04).jpg.4f1351438f350415578c8a7caea8cd1d.jpg

Unknown_31.2_20180106_0757.jpg.22c2b7a7c5ac7c66b35fe60eeb9ab527.jpg

1734983062_Unknown_31.1_20180105_1757(03).jpg.2fbbe45de007e463699239a48063127b.jpg

WMC may be getting a new set soon, or else some other renovations are taking place to the studio. Newscast tonight looks to be taking place in front of their monitor wall, which is showing a photo of their current set's background.

I believe their existing set dates back to October 2006, so that puts it at just over 11 years old. Could explain why the monitor wall was MIA for the past couple days as well.

20180106_224505.thumb.jpg.8f26c3f70a65f944d1c94100b3f5e5d9.jpg

WMC may be getting a new set soon, or else some other renovations are taking place to the studio. Newscast tonight looks to be taking place in front of their monitor wall, which is showing a photo of their current set's background.

I believe their existing set dates back to October 2006, so that puts it at just over 11 years old. Could explain why the monitor wall was MIA for the past couple days as well.

They're getting a new set. Otherwise, they wouldn't have moved the main desk and the monitor wall into a temporary setup.

Hopefully, WMC-TV is able to get it all done before the Winter Olympics begin next month.

Seriously?!?! They took a picture of the old set and used that as the background instead of using a simple city shot?! *facepalms*

• 1 month later...
I stopped in Wichita Falls overnight and have been able to catch KAUZ & KSWO.

First: KSWO & KAUZ launched a consolidated half-hour weekend morning newscast that debuted today at 8 am. It is called "Texoma Weekend Morning News" and it fills the gap for an hour-long KAUZ newscast in the same timeslot that was cancelled in the past month or so. KSWO still produces a 6:30 AM newscast that only airs on that channel but falls under the same branding.

There were a few kinks that popped up in the first edition of the joint program. The anchor made references to "7 News" on a couple of occasions on stories on the Oklahoma side of the market, but nothing similar for the Texas side with a reference to "NewsChannel 6". At times the breaks dropped at odd intervals. I watched from KAUZ and part of one segment was covered up by promos for CBS programs. There were a couple of other times where they went to black seemingly prematurely and the story ended somewhat abruptly.

It appears this is the latest move in consolidating operations between the two stations. The most visible one otherwise would be the fairly recent joint branding of the two stations' weather teams as "First Alert Weather", with promos showing all the members of the two teams.

Second: KSWO appears to be on a temporary set on the second level of their "newsplex." This was visible when I caught their news last night and during the morning news today, the stories were presented next to a large monitor, not in the traditional newsroom setting.

[ATTACH=full]5082[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]5080[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]5081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]5085[/ATTACH]

KSWO needs an upgraded news set anyway, this is what their previous newsplex looked like.

26185563_163468680941705_1602451842871066624_n.jpg

That's not their previous set, that's their current set. The temp set was used while they painted the walls blue.

WSVN from the late 1980s/early 1990s called, they want their Newsplex back.

• 2 weeks later...

I tuned into WUAB's 9pm newscast this week, and I noticed that they weren't airing Sports Extra. It was just a continuation of news and weather with additional segments. Has the station dropped it for good or just for sweeps. 43 has been doing Sports Extra since I believe 1993 when Gib Shanley was Sports Director.

Speaking of WUAB, I'm disappointed that the station didn't do anything to celebrate 30 years of its 10pm newscast like how WJW is celebrating 30 years of its morning newscast. "The Ten O'Clock News" debuted back on January 4, 1988. It was 43's first foray into local news, and the first time Cleveland has seen a 10pm newscast since the old WKBF 61's failed attempt back in the late 1960's.

Speaking of WUAB, I'm disappointed that the station didn't do anything to celebrate 30 years of its 10pm newscast like how WJW is celebrating 30 years of its morning newscast. "The Ten O'Clock News" debuted back on January 4, 1988. It was 43's first foray into local news, and the first time Cleveland has seen a 10pm newscast since the old WKBF 61's failed attempt back in the late 1960's.

Maybe because its 10pm news is a half-hour and continues to be beaten by WJW in the ratings? I know its special but WJW's younger (in terms of years) 10pm news has been the 1,000-ton gorilla in the market and so much so that WUAB is now on at 9pm, basically erasing most of the 10pm history.

Maybe because its 10pm news is a half-hour and continues to be beaten by WJW in the ratings? I know its special but WJW's younger (in terms of years) 10pm news has been the 1,000-ton gorilla in the market and so much so that WUAB is now on at 9pm, basically erasing most of the 10pm history.

Just because it's a second place news program, doesn't mean it's not worthy of a anniversary note. Also, even though they are on at 9pm, they are still on at 10pm.

And while WJW's 10pm newscast is younger, there "news" is not as they started newscasts back in the 60s (?).

• 4 weeks later...
WSVN from the late 1980s/early 1990s called, they want their Newsplex back.

I actually just realized this resemblance today while doing an unrelated search. Caught off guard, that's for sure haha! Has there ever been any even remote connection between WSVN Sunbeam and KSWO Raycom? Literally a smaller Oklahoma ripoff of the Newsplex, wow. When did KSWO's initial "7News" Newsplex ripoff start, early 2000's?

I actually just realized this resemblance today while doing an unrelated search. Caught off guard, that's for sure haha! Has there ever been any even remote connection between WSVN Sunbeam and KSWO Raycom? Literally a smaller Oklahoma ripoff of the Newsplex, wow. When did KSWO's initial "7News" Newsplex ripoff start, early 2000's?

And KSWO has a red version of the circle 7 like WSVN and WHDH! Except that it is the circle 7 used by the ABC O&Os. Unlike the ABC O&Os, the logo is red and not blue, making the logo sort of like KVIA.

What likely happened was, a previous owner of KSWO saw the visual look of WSVN and wanted to imitate it, including both the logo and the Newsplex (albeit in a much smaller form).

It's been done before... look at how Bert Ellis copied WSB-TV's logo on his stations back in the 1990s, including WMC and WECT.

Speaking of WUAB, I'm disappointed that the station didn't do anything to celebrate 30 years of its 10pm newscast like how WJW is celebrating 30 years of its morning newscast.

It's a station reduced to being the trash TV home in the market and a MyNetworkTV affiliation they're embarrassed to note (and "The Block" era is a thing nobody wants to talk about). Sadly, those people who remember launching the news department are mostly gone and that's why WUAB at this point is a literal subchannel on WOIO's spectrum just running out the string until MyNet and low-tier syndication makes no further sense. It should be mentioned, but those who tune in usually just want an early forecast and not much more.

It's a station reduced to being the trash TV home in the market and a MyNetworkTV affiliation they're embarrassed to note...

Considering that MNTV is officially only a programming "service" -- or, really, a syndicator -- of reruns of shows that have already been rerun to death, there's hardly anything to act excited about, let alone base station branding on.

Archived