All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

A new M&A regarding Raycom tonight. And it's looks like KPLC will have a partner.

Its shell American Spirit will acquire Fox station KVHP from National Communications.

Maybe Raycom should just buy KVHP's programming and move it on to a KPLC subchannel.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question... would they drop Bounce and Grit for it? Raycom has agreements with both networks, especially Bounce.

KVHP carries The CW on 29.2 so KPLC would have to add both Fox and CW if they did that.

KVHP carries The CW on 29.2 so KPLC would have to add both Fox and CW if they did that.

That's the point. I don't think KPLC would like to add both because I think they would like to continue to carry Bounce one on of its digital subchannels, so this SSA is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
As soon as the new servers and systems are up and running at those stations to carry their graphics and streaming services, which could be a while. Not sure how Drewry's tech infrastructure is, but if Raycom has to build them all up from scratch, it could take months.

Alright, the former Drewry stations KSWO (Lawton), KXXV (Waco), KAUZ (Wichita Falls), KFDA (Amarillo) and KWES (Midland/Odessa) are now on the NewsOn app.
That was pretty quick to say the least.

That's more likely gonna happen + that's true. If you counted Lafayette and Beaumont TV stations, then of course you have other stations and owners.

Don't be surprised if within the next couple of weeks or months, that becomes "7 News at 9:00 on FOX 29" alongside a brand new morning newscast after 7:00am.

I would expect FOX 29 to keep its branding and use a different color of the graphics. I believe KPLC uses the light blue. FOX 29 could use the dark blue/navy or the orange.

• 2 weeks later...
Calkins Selling 3 TVs, Exiting Broadcasting

Calkins Media is exiting the broadcast TV business, having agreed to sell its three small-market ABC affiliates to Raycom Media and its duopoly partner, according to a memo to station staffers from Calkins CEO Mark Contreras obtained by TVNewsCheck.

Under the agreement, Raycom will buy Calkins Florida stations, WWSB Sarasota and WTXL Tallahassee. American Spirit Media will buy WAAY Huntsville, Ala., which will presumably be operated in tandem with Raycom's NBC affiliate in Huntsville, WAFF.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/93837/calkins-selling-3-tvs-exiting-broadcasting

Raycom and Scripps are partners in Palm Beach and Boise, now they'll have separate ABC affiliates in the Tampa Bay DMA. Do you think Raycom will make a deal with Scripps to give up ABC on WWSB?

In Tallahassee, do you think Raycom will snatch NBC from Sinclair's WTWC and put it on WTXL's subchannel, leaving WTWC with FOX?

And in Huntsville, what will happen to WAAY's news department? Will WAAY eventually move to a WAFF subchannel?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does Roku still have that slow, awful interface like in the 2 and 3?

Anyways, good for them. Is this at all the Raycom stations yet? I'll have to check my closest Raycom station, WFIE.

Anyways, good for them. Is this at all the Raycom stations yet? I'll have to check my closest Raycom station, WFIE.

Better yet, check my "Local News on Roku" thread to see if WFIE is available on NewsON.

I have a Roku 4 and a 4th Gen AppleTV. I have always been (and still am) an Apple fanboy, but I find myself using the Roku 4 about twice as much as the 4th Gen AppleTV. It is just as fast, and there is more content, and it is 4K capable.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
KAUZ has now a new logo on the stations website.

Nice & simple.. Better than the previous one...

Interestingly enough.. While scouring the website, I saw at least 3 color variations of the 6 - A white 6 on a red background, a red 6 on a white background, and a blue 6 on a white background...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a Traffic Reporter/Anchor opening at WOIO and WUAB in Cleveland, OH. Laura DeMaria currently holds that role, but I don't know if it's a fill-in a permanent replacement for her. I wouldn't be surprised though if they do go through more on-air changes, especially in the morning, and especially with their new GM (the second in two years since Bill Applegate retired).

Archived