All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

Too bad that the old WUAB studio on Day Drive in Parma is no more. If memory serves me correctly, it was razed in 1996 for an OfficeMax location since it was across the street from a THEN successful mall, Parmatown. Soon after, South Park mall opened up in nearby Strongsville leading the area around Parmatown to slowly decline, eventually leading the OfficeMax that replaced WUAB's facility to close a few years back (along with most of Parmatown itself!)

EDIT: The OfficeMax building appears to be a Planet Fitness per Google Maps. The OfficeMax closed in 2006.

As for WOIO/WUAB, this new GM may be even more brash than Applegate....and since we're in May sweeps, will Action News actually be going away any time soon?

I could see WOIO waiting until the fall to finally take Action News out to the back of the barn. Speaking of studios, is WOIO's old studios on Van Aken still standing?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see WOIO waiting until the fall to finally take Action News out to the back of the barn. Speaking of studios, is WOIO's old studios on Van Aken still standing?

I believe so. After WOIO vacated it, it became a Goodwill store which still operates today. It wouldn't work since it was a much smaller space that lacked the ability to launch a news department. WOIO was always a reruns and movies station (while carrying the Cavaliers) leading into their growing relationship with FOX. WUAB did a lot of studio work out of their facility including shows that lasted into the early 1990s (like Linn Sheldon's "Barnaby" and longtime staff announcer Marty Sullivan's "Superhost" program) They also did a lot of production work for local and regional clients through UAB Productions.

At the time, when WUAB merged with WOIO, the staff may have been too large to remain on Day Drive. Also, developers may have made them an offer they couldn't refuse to sell the building in what was a prime retail area just as the "big box" craze was sweeping, And had they stayed, the traffic around Parmatown at the time would have impeded their ability to cover news. Flashing forward to now, the area is dead as a doornail, and moving back could make sense....probably to an industrial park that's easily accessible to the interstates as stations like WATN did.

It seems like a perpetual drain to lease the space where buying would have made much more sense in the long run. And doing so downtown passes the burden of parking on to their employees in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Owned by Raycom, but will be operated by Scripps under a SSA. So don't expect the 7am and 9pm newscasts on KNIN to go anytime soon. If anything, KNIN, maybe, will get another hour in the morning at 8am.

Seems like KNIN will go to Raycom. from Scripps thread.

Seems like KNIN will go to Raycom. from Scripps thread.

Raycomm does seem to be in a buying mood lately so I'm not that suprised even though they don't have any stations in the Pacfic Northwest (I think the closest sister station is KOLD down in Tuscon).

Raycom to buy KNIN for $14.5 million

Raycom Media on Friday filed with the FCC to buy KNIN-TV (Fox) in Boise, Idaho, for a purchase price of $14.5 million. The deal will mark Raycom's first ever television station in the northwestern United States.

The station needed to be sold after the merger of Journal Media Group and The E.W. Scripps Company. Journal, owner of ABC affiliate KIVI, had bought KNIN under a failing station waiver in 2009, and the next year, KNIN assumed the Fox affiliation for Boise. However, there are too few television stations in Boise to permit common ownership of the stations otherwise, and so KNIN had to be sold. Due to the length of time needed to find a buyer, KNIN was placed in a divestiture trust managed by Doug Kiel.

As part of the deal, Raycom will sign a 10-year shared services agreement with Scripps to enable KIVI to continue producing KNIN's newscasts. However, Raycom will sell KNIN's ad time and operate a separate website for the Fox affiliate.

Raycom to buy KNIN for $14.5 million

Raycom Media on Friday filed with the FCC to buy KNIN-TV (Fox) in Boise, Idaho, for a purchase price of $14.5 million. The deal will mark Raycom's first ever television station in the northwestern United States.

The station needed to be sold after the merger of Journal Media Group and The E.W. Scripps Company. Journal, owner of ABC affiliate KIVI, had bought KNIN under a failing station waiver in 2009, and the next year, KNIN assumed the Fox affiliation for Boise. However, there are too few television stations in Boise to permit common ownership of the stations otherwise, and so KNIN had to be sold. Due to the length of time needed to find a buyer, KNIN was placed in a divestiture trust managed by Doug Kiel.

As part of the deal, Raycom will sign a 10-year shared services agreement with Scripps to enable KIVI to continue producing KNIN's newscasts. However, Raycom will sell KNIN's ad time and operate a separate website for the Fox affiliate.

It looks like Boise will be West Palm Beach 2.0 for Scripps and Raycom.

It's worth noting that Scripps will continue to provide administrative and technical (engineering & master control) support under the SSA. However, Raycom will handle all programming, traffic and retransmission negotiations for KNIN. Raycom will also lease space within KIVI's building for a small office to house the sales staff and GM for KNIN. So, KNIN and KIVI will be "quasi-separating" as a result. But, this set-up pretty much mirrors the relationship between WPTV and WFLX so it's not surprising.

On the business side this makes a lot of sense for both parties. Scripps gets to keep a lot of the "duopoly efficiencies". While Raycom picks up a station for a pretty small sum and will be able to keep the operational expenditures pretty low.

RadioInsight's Lance Venta has caught wind of several new domain names registered for WOIO. (Lance has a track record of scooping the trades with domain name registrations.)

And it looks like WOIO is reverting to some variant of the "19 News" branding.

EDIT: There's some more details from Ohio Media Watch this morning...

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the latest FTVLive post, "Cleveland 19 News" may be the successor to "Action News"....and the changes will be here around August...

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/6/1/out-the-door-in-cleveland

...and WVUE's upcoming set may set the stage for an upcoming "Raycom-i-zation"...

I wonder what they're going to call WOIO when news is not on. Cleveland 19 CBS, anyone?

I wonder what they're going to call WOIO when news is not on. Cleveland 19 CBS, anyone?

That just sounds awkward, why not just Cleveland 19? Also, are they gonna keep "The Block" on 43 or rebrand them too? I could see 43 being reinterpreted graphically as "NE" for NE Ohio, for instance. Use a street sign logo like KRCW in Portland used to use (before they inexplicably went back to CW 32).

Umm... "Cleveland's CBS 19," just like they already do? I wonder why they are not going with "Cleveland's CBS 19 News."

That just sounds awkward, why not just Cleveland 19? Also, are they gonna keep "The Block" on 43 or rebrand them too? I could see 43 being reinterpreted graphically as "NE" for NE Ohio, for instance. Use a street sign logo like KRCW in Portland used to use (before they inexplicably went back to CW 32).

As of right now, WUAB is just "My43" and the on-again, off-again "Block" branding is off right now.

a.) Why drop the Action News brand for Cleveland 19 News? Action News brand is my favorite

b.) Will 19 logo be updated or will they continue to keep the current 19 logo?

c.) When Ramona jump from WKYC to WOIO she said that the station was looking to change their style to a more traditional newscast vs. the puppet newscast at the time.

d.) That Action News brand which was launch in 2002 did pull 19 out of the gutter into a contender.

e.)What the deal with FOX 8 in Nola? Is the station owned or run by Raycom or does Tom Benson's Louisiana Company run WVUE? I'm lost on who owns FOX 8?

f.) Will all Raycom stations get WBTV graphic package? Which is a very stellar, clear, sleek graphic package. [Take notes Sinclair]

e.)What the deal with FOX 8 in Nola? Is the station owned or run by Raycom or does Tom Benson's Louisiana Company run WVUE? I'm lost on who owns FOX 8?

Louisiana Media still owns the station, they are farming out the operation of the station to Raycom. As this is not an SSA to evade an ownership cap, I'm not sure where Raycom ends and Benson begins. Because it is not subject to a 15 programming cap, Raycom may handle programming as well. The arrangement may be a mutual desire since Benson is arranging his estate and Raycom is jumping on operational opportunities without the hassle and burden of being a licensee. Think of it as a big box store leasing space. The landlord owns the land and the tenant is the store itself. The landlord can evict the store off its land if it can arrange a better deal, and will bulldoze the old store and build to suit for a new lessee.

Raycom is handling programming for Fox 8. Two of its shows are airing on the channel: "Flip My Food" and "America Now".

They're not airing Fix It & Finish It? And wasn't America Now cancelled?

Raycom is handling programming for Fox 8. Two of its shows are airing on the channel: "Flip My Food" and "America Now".

Unless if America NOW is in reruns, it should've been off the air because it is canceled.

• 2 months later...

Raycomm does seem to be in a buying mood lately so I'm not that suprised even though they don't have any stations in the Pacfic Northwest (I think the closest sister station is KOLD down in Tuscon).

I think that Raycom would buy Meredith's TV stations and I looked it up on NewsBlues and saw that none of them were in the same markets as Raycom's TV stations. That and I think it would really be a good investment.

Archived