All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

It appears that Raycom is beginning to awaken from their long slumber during the M&A craze that's swept the industry (all without buying a single station since 2009!)

Some of the happenings in the last few months...

- New graphics packages (again!)

- Dumping Gari for Stephen Arnold music packages (including long-running usage of Gari's NewsChannel going away :( )

- Management shuffles (like WMBFs GM being transferred to WLBT)

- and now...the impending "relaunch" of WOIO, after Bill Applegate's retirement and the ND "leaving"...

I think there's enough stuff happening company wide for this to justify their own thread.

Thoughts?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. It was overdue.

Even though Raycom isn't going through a buying binge compared to some of the others on here, they are one of the larger media groups in this country and probably deserved a thread the same time we gave separate ones for Nexstar, Sinclair, and Gannett.

Thanks for taking the initiative to get this started, now we can stop hijacking the Raycom thread in the graphics section and open this up to more people who might not read the graphics section.

FTVlive agrees.....

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/1/6/cleveland-station-taking-the-action-out-of-action-news

It would solve the identity crisis by unifying WOIO under the CBS 19 brand, but it's been done before, and failed.

Action News has run its course, but the last thing we need is another news organization that thrives on the endless glut of social media and the web...

By the same token, the "CBS 19 News" branding was last used in 1998. That was when Gretchen Carlson (yes, THAT Gretchen Carlson) was teamed up with Denise Dufala and the news operation tried a CityPulse-style approach. It just didn't work.

It might be a different story this time, but that's dependant on how much the ND wants to clean house. Until a mass talent purge takes place, they still have a pretty good roster in place. But it's obvious that Denise and Romona will be the centerpiece of a "CBS 19 News."

And the funny thing is, you can still see the old "CBS 19 News" and "UPN 43 WUAB" logos on their Doppler radar towers on I71 in northern Medina County.

In recent weeks, both Dawn Kendrick has left and Ed Gallek announced he is leaving WOIO.

Dawn is now at WKYC...

(even though her accidental sign off says otherwise....scroll to about 1:13)

...and Ed Gallek is leaving for WJW to join his wife Peggy (Sinkovich) Gallek.

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2015/01/ed_gallek_joining_channel_8_in_late_january.html

He'll be hiding out until his non-compete expires in about 6 months or so...

I can understand Ed wanting to move to his wife's station, but Dawn may have seen the writing on the wall with what we know now...

When I went to the WXIX mobile site, the breaking news banner simply told me "good morning" and gave me the current weather.

Anyway, Raycom is consolidating all traffic operations in Charlotte. That's around 50 stations losing a job or two.

I would assume that WOIO/WUAB is next on Raycom's list for their new graphics package rollout.

As for the obvious rebranding... God, I hope that WOIO isn't renamed "CBS 19 Now." That would make their infamous stint as "Hometeam 19" sound great in comparison.

"CBS 19 Now" sounds so bland and generic. If they want to use the "Now" branding, use something catchy, like "OIO Now". Granted, no one in Cleveland expoits its calls (except WVIZ, but they're PBS), but since Cleveland isn't as autonomous from Ohio as Cincinnati, WOIO should take advantage of its calls and "be the voice of Ohio".

The original WOIO logo was pretty good in its heyday, although rather dated for 2015 unless we can get jcbD to come in and give a WKBN-like makeover to WOIO. Knowing Raycom, that would be less likely than the Browns winning a Super Bowl.

"CBS 19 Now" sounds so bland and generic. If they want to use the "Now" branding, use something catchy, like "OIO Now". Granted, no one in Cleveland expoits its calls (except WVIZ, but they're PBS), but since Cleveland isn't as autonomous from Ohio as Cincinnati, WOIO should take advantage of its calls and "be the voice of Ohio".

OIO Now sounds a bit... odd to me. I would prefer that they brand it as "WOIO News 19" or some variation therein. Obviously the "Cleveland News Now" sub-brand will be utilized in some way.

Just as long as they don't go with a brand that has "Channel" in it... Cleveland already has "Channel 3 News" and "NewsChannel 5."

The original WOIO logo was pretty good in its heyday, although rather dated for 2015 unless we can get jcbD to come in and give a WKBN-like makeover to WOIO. Knowing Raycom, that would be less likely than the Browns winning a Super Bowl.

The underlying shapes of the letters might make a good basis for a new logo. Geometric letters and typography are all the rage right now.

Nothing compares to WJW's infamous and way-too-often repeated "EI8HT IS NEWS!"

Thankfully, New World soon gave way to FOX ownership, and FOX 8 finally came to be.

I think many of the things that WOIO did in their early days were years ahead of their time like newsroom shots and candid stand-ups.....things that are commonplace at some stations, and push the envelope today at others....

Looks like Raycom is coming out with a new website design. WBRC and WSFA have changed, not sure about all of them.

Is it Raycom's graphics department or WorldNow that is responsible for the website design? Because the new layout is visually stunning and worlds ahead from the current template.

Is it Raycom's graphics department or WorldNow that is responsible for the website design? Because the new layout is visually stunning and worlds ahead from the current template.

I dont know, but like you said, it is a lot better that the old design. I also noticed that WBTV's website has changed as well to the new format. Not sure how many others. I noticed WBRC's the other day. Not sure why since WSFA and WBTV are the flagship stations, I guess WBRC is a quasi-flagship, since it is so close to Montgomery.

Did some googling...and came up with this image from WOIO's Android app...(see link below)

The app itself is called WOIO 19 News...see the details here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.raycom.woio

I'm taking it with a grain of salt as it seems Raycom's web efforts are far distanced from what their stations are putting out....ESPECIALLY stations like WOIO.

Many of their app logos (and some of their websites) are the channel number only without the other parts that usually make up their logos.

WLOX is a good example since they have their longtime "WLOX" logo, their website has a "WLOX 13" logo, and their apps have a "13" styled in the WLOX treatment.

Just thought of this. If and when WOIO flips over to new branding, and music. It won't be Aerial, due the Kent State University TV 2 uses Aerial for its student newscasts. @Myron Falwell might want to chime in on this one.

Archived