Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

17 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Who even is the weekend crew now that the weekend crew has become the 4pm crew?

As 24994J said, Elizabeth (who is currently pregnant, due Jan 21’), subs for Natalie on Fridays & Tia subs on Saturdays. 

If this lineup is correct, someone would have to cover GDC Weekends and Saturday night after Aug. 3. If Natalie is re-teamed with Anthony and Sally goes back to GDC Weekends, then just Saturday night needs to be covered. 

It’s a confusing mess I know....

Edited by jase

3 hours ago, jase said:

As 24994J said, Elizabeth (who is currently pregnant, due Jan 21’), subs for Natalie (Friday) & Tia subs on Saturday. 

If this lineup is correct, someone would have to cover GDC Weekends and Saturday night after Aug. 3. If Natalie is re-teamed with Anthony and Sally goes back to GDC Weekends, then just Saturday night needs to be covered. 

It’s a confusing mess I know....

I believe they get good ratings on Sunday that’s why they have their A team on and I’m sure they will probably ditch the 4pm newscast after the election gotta get that ad election revenue. And I wonder if WFLD is beating WBBM at 5 I know they are probably beating them 25-54 but I wonder in total viewers I don’t really care for Brad or Ikria I spelled that wrong I know  . On another note I think they should give the 10pm news another shot especially the fact that WBBM is weaker than ever right now if they really put their best foot forward they can beat them in the demo because they are only at like a 0.7 even with CBS’s strong prime time lineup

Edited by Newsboy22234

Given that it’s in-depth interviews and talk stuff, Schulze and Ewing were probably chosen, as they are big into social justice. Ewing’s approach to reporting is one that I REFUSE to stand behind. Of course, I totally respect other people’s viewpoints and if they think otherwise!! This is just one I’ll definitely sit out and/or choose another channel. 

Edited by Chicago News Boy

I wouldn’t say either of them are social justice warriors (I dislike that term/label greatly). 

Any journalist will tell you that it’s a difficult job balancing the realities of the world in which we live and maintaining the basic tenets of journalism. I haven’t seen anything from Tia or Sally that would suggest they have some type of agenda, are biased, etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of quick shots of ‘First at Four’. Nothing groundbreaking here, but another news option at 4 is a bonus (I guess). 

The transition to the 5P newscast was very sloppy and whoever is running things in the control room should be fired. Way too many mistakes are being made. 

Also, they need to decide if they are going to call the helicopter ‘SkyFox’ or ‘AirFox’.  Can’t seem to make up their mind.

62ADEED9-E11C-4FF6-8766-C64A747B296F.thumb.jpeg.3409bfc906ec15625704f6776dcbe829.jpegD9CD21A1-4474-49D1-8E37-558D7255435B.thumb.jpeg.dd9bf26ed2dd18d118e4687d57862ede.jpeg926E912C-AE25-471D-8011-F6E635A9FB07.thumb.jpeg.824997a0e55b29e0e631a442e1c6cce5.jpeg032CADAC-3D45-4A91-BD35-119EB5B9A00E.thumb.jpeg.b8b5795480e0ce4f48eb7e0174b31f1c.jpeg00E6FDE9-0643-4197-944F-977844115F31.thumb.jpeg.8bfd240a0b58bf4cffe3cabe3835ebff.jpeg

Edited by jase

1 hour ago, jase said:

The transition to the 5P newscast was very sloppy and whoever is running things in the control room should be fired. Way too many mistakes are being made. 

I also watched the newscast and everything went pretty standard/well, however you want to say it, all the way up until their last segment with the Blackhawks interview, and that handover to the 5 -- that was a huge blunder, especially when Dawn thought there was a commercial in between the two. Ah well. 

I recall reading Tia was supposed to be reporting from "studio 32" so I'd hope she can move soon into that location where Anita/Scott are in that promo posted a few weeks ago. Putting her streetside is a little too noisy, especially if she's going to do live interviews via Zoom/Skype, like she did today.

--Edited to add that WFLD's evening opens feel like nothing (when compared to some of those at the sister stations) and the 4PM open was merely about 1 second long, and felt like even more of a bore. I know most don't bother, but..... eh.

Edited by Roadrunner

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I also watched the newscast and everything went pretty standard/well, however you want to say it, all the way up until their last segment with the Blackhawks interview, and that handover to the 5 -- that was a huge blunder, especially when Dawn thought there was a commercial in between the two. Ah well. 

I recall reading Tia was supposed to be reporting from "studio 32" so I'd hope she can move soon into that location where Anita/Scott are in that promo posted a few weeks ago. Putting her streetside is a little too noisy, especially if she's going to do live interviews via Zoom/Skype, like she did today.

--Edited to add that WFLD's evening opens feel like nothing (when compared to some of those at the sister stations) and the 4PM open was merely about 1 second long, and felt like even more of a bore. I know most don't bother, but..... eh.

They made similar mistakes last night (wrong video, dead air, etc..). I get things happen, but good grief, get it together.

I agree they made it seem like Tia would be reporting from Studio 32. I know they were making some last minute touches to the studio so maybe they weren’t done with that and couldn’t use it fully.

I hate their evening opens (or lack there of). They made a new one for the 9P, but hardly ever use it for some reason. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I was wondering why the national Fox outlet was talking a feed from WBBM, but then I saw the mic flags. Looks like everyone else in town was there, but WFLD is nowhere to be found. 🤔

20200907_221504_HDR.jpg

They were there. Not sure why FNC didn’t take their feed/coverage.

16B92A31-51CD-44DD-AC00-BB9B99BC4D5F.thumb.jpeg.14ead1dd307257a59a72c73bcf220bf4.jpeg2D5C82EB-EF92-4175-882F-D68BE0031441.thumb.jpeg.fa4a5f218d6f03d1091a71b557a5f54e.jpeg

CBS and Fox News Channel have had a content share agreement for a while. It's just not very often used, and when it is, it's usually transparent to the end viewer. For example, a Fox News satellite truck may uplink live signals for both FOX and CBS.

Additionally, WFLD, WBBM, WGN, and WMAQ have had a news share agreement in place since 2009.

I know everyone on here likes to think there's all this in-fighting behind the scenes between stations like a scene out of Anchorman. That couldn't be further from reality. Stations share content with each other all the time and work together frequently, regardless of affiliation or ownership groups, and this has been going on since TV started. 

• Like 4

That is true but that’s before we saw that WFLD had a reporter on scene. Even if they have an agreement why would you go to an outside source from your own source. I think WBBM was probably the first on scene and FNC just used them. And while it’s not cut throat  there is a rivalry spirit. WLS budget is huge they don’t need anyone. However WGN is not to fond of WBBM or WLS and I’m sure that trend continues at other stations as well

Edited by Newsboy22234

Like Fox 29 (Philly), WFLD will have it’s own ‘Props and Locks’/FOXBet sports betting show (Sundays at 10A) followed by an abbreviated ‘Fox Kickoff Sunday’.  Also worth noting is that ‘The Final Word’ is no more and has been renamed/rebooted as ‘Sports Zone’. 

B3A4E609-6208-49D0-9C33-8EA27CFACDA0.thumb.jpeg.cf0f36bc49537e58368eff06edd6e4f8.jpeg
0DEFED4E-25A5-4260-8614-2A92915E6AF0.thumb.jpeg.d6555912855ab5532bccf555595a7c81.jpegD378326E-4699-4798-AFC7-EC8D3B8051B5.thumb.jpeg.f92cc94e9b7b452f1f07a1d893366fb4.jpeg

Edited by jase

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 6:12 PM, Spring Rubber said:

Instead of doing a news update during the late halftime show, WFLD carried the second segment of the Visa halftime report and then did a brief local segment with the Bears Gameday Live crew during the ensuing commercial break.

Does anybody remember if WFLD did a news update during the week 1 late halftime show?

WJZY did that the first year they had Fox when WBTV produced their news. And I think WCCB did that when WSOC produced theirs.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, jase said:

I also think it would be best if they moved the main crew back to a M-F schedule instead of Sun-Th to align things up better.

WCCB also did the Sun-Thur schedule when they first launched their news department. Never understood why.