Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

WFLD is better off not doing an early evening broadcast.

There's no harm in trying really, but with little over a week until launch, I haven't seen/heard one promo about this. One would hope they put something together soon to build interest. I guess that's asking too much of them.

• Like 1

With the viewers that 5, 7 & 9 have, what's the point of having a 5th station with a 5pm broadcasts? That's just too crowded. This is nothing more than a Johnny-Come-Lately move (Like Johnny Came Really Late) by WFLD. And probably got pressured by the big bosses at Fox to do it. All Fox is doing is burning more money to add another hour of news that very few folks are going to watch and they're going to lose big time. It's a complete waste if you ask me. And it's just leaves fewer options to non-news viewers.

When the political money runs dry, are they're going to keep the 5pm experiment one year after launch? Hmm..... Unless they're pulling someone out of the hat, I'll say It'll go away eventually, just like "The TEN" went away. They should've kept the Simpsons repeats. At least it did have more staying power.

With the viewers that 5, 7 & 9 have, what's the point of having a 5th station with a 5pm broadcasts? That's just too crowded. This is nothing more than a Johnny-Come-Lately move (Like Johnny Came Really Late) by WFLD. And probably got pressured by the big bosses at Fox to do it. All Fox is doing is burning more money to add another hour of news that very few folks are going to watch and they're going to lose big time. It's a complete waste if you ask me. And it's just leaves fewer options to non-news viewers.

When the political money runs dry, are they're going to keep the 5pm experiment one year after launch? Hmm..... Unless they're pulling someone out of the hat, I'll say It'll go away eventually, just like "The TEN" went away. They should've kept the Simpsons repeats. At least it did have more staying power.

...and when asked about the sudden addition of a 5pm show, the WFLD news Director told this reporter.

"I thought we were using a condom...my apologies ."

Like we say about the lady with 12 kids down the street...

"It's just one more thing for us to mess up".

Godspeed WFLD

• Like 1

Looks like they're going to have a "Sarah Jindra" at 5pm.

From CRM:

"In addition, the newscast will have a live breaking news desk that will be able to cover important breaking news, including traffic and weather emergencies. At the helm of this live desk will be WFLD-TV's weekend news anchors Scott Schneider and Kristen Nicole, with the two splitting the weekday duties between them."

Looks like they're going to have a "Sarah Jindra" at 5pm.

From CRM:

"In addition, the newscast will have a live breaking news desk that will be able to cover important breaking news, including traffic and weather emergencies. At the helm of this live desk will be WFLD-TV's weekend news anchors Scott Schneider and Kristen Nicole, with the two splitting the weekday duties between them."

Scott and Kristen currently split the anchoring duties for the Noon newscast, so it would make sense to continue that arrangement @ 5P.

• Like 2

How do traffic anchor/feature reporter and breaking news anchor relate? Seems like decidedly different roles to me.

I can't believe I'm (sort of) defending WFLD, but I must admit that, on paper, they seem to be making a conscious effort to put together a broadcast that is different from the competitors. It probably won't work, but neither would a copycat format. And to those that think it's stupid to being jumping into early fringe, sometimes it's not about ratings, but trying to show your commitment and seriousness about being a competitive news operation. I have more respect for them trying, than waving the white flag of surrender like they've been doing in that time period for the last decade.

Scott and Kristen currently split the anchoring duties for the Noon newscast, so it would make sense to continue that arrangement @ 5P.

How long has the noon arrangement been like that? I swear, anytime I've tuned in over the last few months, it's been any of the four morning anchors, Lisa Chavarria (why she gets anchoring assignments, I'll never know), or Schneider anchoring (still haven't seen Kristen anchor).

How do traffic anchor/feature reporter and breaking news anchor relate? Seems like decidedly different roles to me.

I can't believe I'm (sort of) defending WFLD, but I must admit that, on paper, they seem to be making a conscious effort to put together a broadcast that is different from the competitors. It probably won't work, but neither would a copycat format. And to those that think it's stupid to being jumping into early fringe, sometimes it's not about ratings, but trying to show your commitment and seriousness about being a competitive news operation. I have more respect for them trying, than waving the white flag of surrender like they've been doing in that time period for the last decade.

How long has the noon arrangement been like that? I swear, anytime I've tuned in over the last few months, it's been any of the four morning anchors, Lisa Chavarria (why she gets anchoring assignments, I'll never know), or Schneider anchoring (still haven't seen Kristen anchor).

Lisa has only been off the noon show for two or three weeks tops.

Mon.-Wed., Scott anchors at Noon/reports @ 9P. & Thurs-Fri., Kristen anchors @ Noon/reports @ 9P. It's been that way for at least two weeks. For more than a month, Lisa anchored at Noon (in addition to reporting for GDC every so often), right around the time Corey and Darlene added the 6A hr. to their duties thus relinquishing the Noon newscast.

This new arrangement makes more sense and creates some type of structure. Pretty much everyone under the sun anchored at Noon, now that's no longer the case (I believe/hope so). I'm guessing that if they still plan on hiring another meteorologist, that person would work at Noon and fill in for Bill at 5P & 9P.

So, George and Natalie are down to just the first hour and a half, plus the later morning headlines? They're have been rumblings of the start time moving to 4am, if I recall. Maybe a first step?

(Even though I rarely watch, I oddly like to keep up with these things.)

So, George and Natalie are down to just the first hour and a half, plus the later morning headlines? They're have been rumblings of the start time moving to 4am, if I recall. Maybe a first step?

(Even though I rarely watch, I oddly like to keep up with these things.)

It's possible they may start at 4A someday, but GDC is poorly produced. Whatever talents George and Natalie have are not showcased at all really. They would be better off splitting the hours up (i.e. Fox 32 News @ Sunrise from 4A-6A & GDC from 6A-10A) like it was in the past (the Sirott era).

It was good. I honestly thought it was better than some of their 9pm newscasts. Jeff and Dawn were at the anchor desk , often standing in front of the desk and at various spots throughout the studio. Bill Bellis did a weather briefing outside as they use to do with some of the 9pm newscasts acouple months ago. They had 5 live reports Larry Yellen outside the studio Craig Wall was also live at Comher Childrens Hospital Elizabeth Matthews was live at a house for a vigil for a South Holland shooting and a Lisa Chavarria also live outside at Grant Park talking about The Taste and Scott Scheinder was in the newsroom talking about breaking news including how two people were shot. Lou Cannelis was also live at Wrigley Field with his sports report.

About how it was... I think it was a solid upbeat newscast. I personally think the WGN evening news is reallly reallly dry and boring and this isnt , I honestly think you could compare this to the other newscasts im Chicago. It obviously wont beat WLS and WMAQ but i think it may give WGN a run for their money in the 5pm hour and I think its very capable at beating WBBM at 5pm. This is nothing like the 9am version of Good Day Chicago or the parade they put on at noon (even though their trying) I honestly believe this is a solid newscast

FOX 32's 5PM Newscast was very good, but its been a long time coming.

What seems strange to me about WFLD's new 5 p.m. newscast is that it's only airing on weekdays. The other Fox O&Os air their early evening newscasts seven nights a week, even as some news-producing Fox affiliates owned by other groups have chosen to avoid putting local news in the 5-7 p.m. time period on Saturdays and Sundays because of the increasing amount of sports overruns and starts within that slot on those days.

IIRC, WFLD did have an hourly 5pm broadcast on Saturdays staring in the late 90s through a good chunk of the 2000s. Most of that time the newscast was called Fox News Saturday.

I previously stated 2006, but I now think the Saturday broadcast probably lasted longer than that, because I remember it was still on when Bears went to the Super Bowl in '07.

IIRC, WFLD did have an hourly 5pm broadcast on Saturdays staring in the late 90s through a good chunk of the 2000s. Most of that time the newscast was called Fox News Saturday.

I previously stated 2006, but I now think the Saturday broadcast probably lasted longer than that, because I remember it was still on when Bears went to the Super Bowl in '07.

The closest thing now is the occasional Sunday 4pm newscast after noon Bears games, which takes a backseat to postgame coverage.

• Like 3

Yeah, I can't believe I'm saying it, but they don't suck right now. Instead of constantly changing people, they've made noticeable changes to their product that have generally been for the better. I watched the news after the game tonight, and for the first time in a long time, I didn't walk away feeling dirty or suicidal. Look, I mean, it's still a Fox newscast and it's very fast-paced. No denying it. If that's not your thing, fine, but it's finally fairly palatable, for what it is. I think story selection has been key. Call it a copycat, but it's more in-line with the competition, just presented in a different way. Kudos to the bosses, even though the ratings won't follow, but I respect them for finally, FINALLY giving a damn and trying.

Damn, CBS 2. Your turn.