Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

Im gonna be honest... Feder wrote an article about that Tisha Lewis girl but I have NEVER heard of her. The turnover and lack of stability there is almost a sport in itself. A darn entertaining one too.

She was well-suited for the station she worked for. Let's put it that way.

This was a dead end for Lewis so it makes sense she decided to head back home. Helms apparently can barely put a package together by herself much less write a cohesive sentence. Word is insiders were in shock when she was hired last year based on her serious lack of knowledge and journalistic skills. I guess WFLD management wanted to wait at least a year before they let her go to save what little face they have.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/06/09/fox-32-reporter-comes-back-from-st-louis/

Watched her report.. Good but very entry-level in my opinion. Someone I'd expect to see at our vacation house in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Hasbrouck goes "and where are you from by the way?" After Jeff welcomed her to the team :rofl!:

• Like 2

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/06/09/fox-32-reporter-comes-back-from-st-louis/

Watched her report.. Good but very entry-level in my opinion. Someone I'd expect to see at our vacation house in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. Hasbrouck goes "and where are you from by the way?" After Jeff welcomed her to the team :rofl!:

So..they hire yet another person with very little experience. It's as if they want to fail.

• 2 weeks later...

GDC and the noon news is being done from a temp set in the newsroom. It's not the old setup, but the old newsroom desk in front of the bank of monitors on the back wall. It looks okay enough, but I'm curious if this means bigger change in the main studio.

GDC and the noon news is being done from a temp set in the newsroom. It's not the old setup, but the old newsroom desk in front of the bank of monitors on the back wall. It looks okay enough, but I'm curious if this means bigger change in the main studio.

Just work on the lights is all. Nothing major.

At 3 days now and knowing WFLD, I don't think it's just lighting.. Gotta say I'm digging the temporary set-up though nonetheless. Newsroom renovation is a huge improvement from before.

Very doubtful they do anything major other than the light upgrade. Some cosmetic work (update durans in weather/traffic center, etc..) is a very small possibility, but even that seems like a long shot. Honestly, I would leave the newsroom set-up as is and maybe add another stand-up element to the other side near the control room.

Very doubtful they do anything major other than the light upgrade. Some cosmetic work (update durans in weather/traffic center, etc..) is a very small possibility, but even that seems like a long shot. Honestly, I would leave the newsroom set-up as is and maybe add another stand-up element to the other side near the control room.

I would think 32 would need to show some sort of improvement before it gets lots of love from FOX. They seem intent on doing the opposite to that station.

I would think 32 would need to show some sort of improvement before it gets lots of love from FOX. They seem intent on doing the opposite to that station.

The situation at WFLD is a hard one to figure out. While the issues are clearly apparent, fixing said issues seems impossible for some reason. There doesn't seem any plan to move the station forward and improve the product. The decisions (whether they are coming from the top or locally) just don't work and no ones seems to know what they are doing.

The situation at WFLD is a hard one to figure out. While the issues are clearly apparent, fixing said issues seems impossible for some reason. There doesn't seem any plan to move the station forward and improve the product. The decisions (whether they are coming from the top or locally) just don't work and no ones seems to know what they are doing.

It's becoming apparent that the fact the Bears are an NFC team is about the whole of why they have an O&O in Chicago. Maybe the ad revenue from some of their primetime is ok at least but I agree... It's really tough to grasp what the disconnect between problem and solution is. It shouldn't be this impossible to improve it.

It's becoming apparent that the fact the Bears are an NFC team is about the whole of why they have an O&O in Chicago. Maybe the ad revenue from some of their primetime is ok at least but I agree... It's really tough to grasp what the disconnect between problem and solution is. It shouldn't be this impossible to improve it.

Face it,

There are some stations that are just dogs. Every few markets have one. I'm not talking about mutts, i'm saying dog.

If you can't get a ratings from being a FOX affil in a big market then you have problems.

The finest minds from science, broadcasting, nature and theology have asked...

"What is wrong with WFLD"?

It's doesn't really have nostalgia, we can blame everything and everyone...

WFLD was "just born that way".

Now I'm Sad.

Face it,

There are some stations that are just dogs. Every few markets have one. I'm not talking about mutts, i'm saying dog.

If you can't get a ratings from being a FOX affil in a big market then you have problems.

The finest minds from science, broadcasting, nature and theology have asked...

"What is wrong with WFLD"?

It's doesn't really have nostalgia, we can blame everything and everyone...

WFLD was "just born that way".

Now I'm Sad.

What's with you? All you do is spit up sarcasm...

Yeah, WFLD's biggest problem has always been WGN. For over a decade, Fox 32 News Chicago put out a very respectable product. The years when Robin and Walter (and later Mark) anchored were arguably successful. They did well in the demo and beat Steve and Allison on 9 in total viewers on many occasions. It was a lot flashier and more tabloid than their competitor, but it was rarely unpleasant, and fit well with the network's image at that time. I watched often, especially on weekends. At some point, and other Fox O&Os can attest to this, the parent company became more hands-on, the economy began to slide, and changes were made that cheapened and soured the product.

Right now, the best we could hope for is stability and quality in their product. Unfortunately, the big bosses are concerned enough to meddle, but not concerned enough to make a quality effort in rebuilding, but instead throw more and more shit at the wall (and the viewer), to see if anything sticks. They won't begin to make any positive changes until viewers come back, but no one will come back until they see change. It's a vicious circle, and no one seems interested in getting off the ride. Why spend money to improve quality without a guarantee of ratings improvement, when it's just easier and cheaper to let them flail helplessly in the dust being kicked up by WGN.

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen them together in months. And they never say the other is off. All in all, I wouldn't say it's a big issue, as that newscast is so low-rated and lightweight. It's not really worth having two anchors. One of two competent anchors is better than two incompetent every day.

I thought Darlene Hill & Corey McPherrin CO-anchored Fox 32 News at Noon. And it used to be that way. But now it's always one or the other SOLO. What gives?

For one, it's summer so they likely want to take off right after GDC is over to do other things. I can't blame them. Second, Corey is often on assignment taping his 'Chicago Kitchens' thingy or whatever it's called. Plus, unless something major is happening, they (and other stations too) really don't need two people.

As unconventional as it may seem, having solo anchors is common place with them (whether it's @ Noon or on the weekends). Heck...my DirecTV only list Corey @ Noon and they still list Darlene as a reporter on the web site. They don't care much about being consistent about things.