Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Scott is shifting to evenings, in addition to succeeding Mike Flannery as political editor, so it's not yet clear what slot(s) Scott takes on.

My guess is that they moved Scott to evenings in anticipation for him to succeed Corey much like they did when he succeeded Corey on GDC. It makes for a more seamless transition. Plus, they didn't announce that Corey was taking over for Jeff until after Jeff's last day. Guess we will find out soon enough. Nevertheless, he is deserving of the promotion imo.

While Scott covers politics, they don't refer to him as political editor (reporter). Taking over for Corey wouldn't preclude him for covering politics per se...

Edited by jase

22 hours ago, brb588 said:

I guess, but with ABC, there has been such a lead up to their anchors retiring. I guess I expected the same for Corey. Ah, well.

They ran a special tribute promo 24/7 for at least a week and looked back at Corey's career each night in addition to a 15+ minute tribute tonight (his last newscast). I don't recall WFLD/Fox 32 doing anything close to the send off they gave Corey for anyone else previously. It was quite the emotional and heartfelt tribute.

FYI- Like I correctly guessed, Scott succeeds Corey as lead/primary male anchor.  

• Like 1

I was legitimately trying to think of when was the last time, if ever, someone got a legit farewell. I believe Robin Robinson got some kind of tribute, but that was something like a contract non-renewal, and neither a firing or retirement. Bob Sirott got a package, as well, but his run at 9pm was only 3 years, and he's always been leaving for the NEXT thing. Maybe Walter? Even then, he was demoted before his exit.

9 minutes ago, jase said:

FYI- Like I correctly guessed, Scott succeeds Corey as lead/primary male anchor.  

I'd definitely assume the 5, as well, but I guess we'll see about that on Monday. Scott was in for Anthony at 4, today.

Edited by 24994J

22 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I was legitimately trying to think of when was the last time, if ever, someone got a legit farewell. I believe Robin Robinson got some kind of tribute, but that was something like a contract non-renewal, and neither a firing or retirement. Bob Sirott got a package, as well, but his run at 9pm was only 3 years, and he's always been leaving for the NEXT thing. Maybe Walter? Even then, he was demoted before his exit.

I'd definitely assume the 5, as well, but I guess we'll see about that on Monday. Scott was in for Anthony at 4, today.

I would say this was their first (legit) farewell to someone (i.e.. an anchor) as most people were forced out (Robin, Walter, etc..) or quit (Jeff H.). Secondly, I think previous management regimes were bad and didn't care to honor, if you will, anyone at all or beyond a quick/simple 3 minute goodbye. Glad Corey got a proper farewell.

Edited by jase

10 minutes ago, jase said:

I would say this was their first (legit) farewell to someone (i.e.. an anchor) as most people were forced out (Robin, Walter, etc..)

I was surprised they even let him mention Robin, Walter and Mark who he worked with in years past! Glad to see Corey getting a proper sendoff.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TVJayFOX said:

I don't know if someone brought this up... but I see WFLD stopped behind cheap and they have a traffic reporter again. It appears she's per diem from Total  Traffic. 

Bryesha Adams has been there since 2019. She was initially a fill in but became main after Michelle Alegria left in '21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Soooooo, this is gonna be messy. Anyone can feel free to fill in the gaps, if and when you come across more info.

Brian Jackson, returning home from KCPQ, will be A new co-anchor on Good Day Chicago, starting 1/22.

...with Natalie Bomke.

...and someone in the comments mentioned Terrence Lee moving to 4pm.

Roseanne has been working the early shift, and the 7am trio has platooned the noon show, since Scott's promotion and Padilla's exit. No clue, at this point, what the plans are for Sylvia, Anita Blanton, Roseanne, Anthony, and I guess Tia Ewing, since she is the third wheel/Friday anchor at 4pm.

Mike Caplan's welcome post for Brian: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=933921444766950&set=pb.100044473087792.-2207520000

Edited by 24994J

Here is the info. Summary below. Quite the changes:

4:30AM-7AM - Anthony Ponce and Anita Blanton will anchor 

7AM-10AM - Brian Jackson and Natalie Bomke 

Jake Hamilton will still contribute to the morning show. 

Syliva Perez will anchor Noon and First at 4. 

Terrence Lee will anchor First at Four with Sylvia Perez then contribute to the live desk at 5pm and 9pm. 

Tia Ewing will maintain her role as live desk reporter on First at Four. 

On 1/11/2024 at 8:55 AM, Georgie56 said:

They’re restoring the 4:30am?

Not sure why they just didn't go back to 4A. They have a new executive producer for GDC too and when they posted that job, they mentioned a 5-hr block (5-10A) not a 5 1/2 hr. one. Guess they changed their minds at some point.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:08 PM, 24994J said:

...and no mention of Roseanne? 🤔

My guess is that she moves to a reporting/fill-in anchor role. They're in dire need of reporters between 9a-4p. Dane has been the lone reporter covering the late morning/midday shift since Sally left.

Not sure all these changes were warranted, but not surprised they moved Terrance to a later shift. He's a stronger #2 to Scott than Anthony is/was.

Edited by Jase