Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

20 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

Looks like Anita Blanton debuted this week anchoring the 9am hour of Good Day Chicago and the 12pm newscast with Sylvia Perez. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=536128081216308&set=a.223779982451121

The 9am, for sure, but I'm not so sure about the noon. I didn't see, but I almost think they co-anchored together on Monday, but since then, I believe Sylvia did 3 noons, and Anita did not. Neither referenced the other being off, so maybe it'll be the 2 of them in a rotation, but it would be nice to know more concrete announcements.

Hell, somewhere along the line, Natalie Bomke shifted to a Sunday-Thursday schedule, with Dane Placko anchoring both Saturday and Sunday nights (the latter with her). What cemented it for me was when someone else filled in for him, and mentioned that he was off.

On 4/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, 24994J said:

The 9am, for sure, but I'm not so sure about the noon. I didn't see, but I almost think they co-anchored together on Monday, but since then, I believe Sylvia did 3 noons, and Anita did not. Neither referenced the other being off, so maybe it'll be the 2 of them in a rotation, but it would be nice to know more concrete announcements.

Hell, somewhere along the line, Natalie Bomke shifted to a Sunday-Thursday schedule, with Dane Placko anchoring both Saturday and Sunday nights (the latter with her). What cemented it for me was when someone else filled in for him, and mentioned that he was off.

I'm noticing that Corey and Dawn have switched back to a traditional Monday-Friday shift, based on what I'm seeing on their website. How long ago did that happen?

On 4/29/2022 at 4:33 PM, 24994J said:

Anita B. and Sylvia co-anchored the 9A with her subbing for Sylvia at Noon (not sure if she did all 5 days (at Noon) however). My guess is that they wanted to give Anita B. some exposure outside of GDC (which is why she anchored the Noon). Don't think they settled on what her role will be just yet (aside from co-anchoring the 9A hr.). From what I saw, she is pretty good.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

I'm noticing that Corey and Dawn have switched back to a traditional Monday-Friday shift, based on what I'm seeing on their website. How long ago did that happen?

Sometime in February. Natalie shifted to a Sun-Thur. schedule with Dane (unofficially) taking on the additional role of Weekend Anchor (solo on Saturdays and with Natalie on Sundays).

Edited by jase

Good Day Chicago to see a new lineup starting next week:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/05/06/robservations-wls-890-taps-steve-cochran-morning-fill-fox-32-shuffles-morning-anchor-lineup-marcus-gilmer-joins-crains-chicago-business/#more-33386

Looks like this might be why the press release about the hour(s) Anita Blanton would anchor was always a bit vague. Feels like they kind of had her in mind to take on this larger role from the very beginning.

Schneider has grown into the morning role, but Padilla has never felt right to me, on the A-team, especially compared to the other women on GDC. Sylvia and Terrence have developed some nice chemistry at 9, and I've liked Blanton, so far, so this feels like a good move, to me.

3 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Schneider has grown into the morning role, but Padilla has never felt right to me, on the A-team, especially compared to the other women on GDC. Sylvia and Terrence have developed some nice chemistry at 9, and I've liked Blanton, so far, so this feels like a good move, to me.

I second that when it comes to Padilla. After Darlene Hill left, Padilla's demeanor just became eh.

I had a feeling they would try a three-anchor lineup and I agree Anita P. is more comfortable at reporting than anchoring. 

Glad they decided to split GDC in half rather than keep the three different blocks (4-6A, 6-9A & 9-10A). This ‘should’ help things flow better overall. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like the meteorologists got a new space to work/present in July. This space replaces the small and cramped area they called home behind the alcove in the main studio.

8F67BA4D-95EB-44ED-AB7C-A47980807B82.thumb.jpeg.95eee55d2b13ac2cc012fb95ecc29626.jpeg

47D5E204-3033-4C0A-A5A8-E7B64E3CE38A.jpeg

Edited by jase

6 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I don't think it's Studio 32, as this space appears to house the weather computers.

received_424853963121823.jpeg

received_593786819107144.jpeg

Yeah.. I just did some more digging. It’s the weather center/office. This was completed in July. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Blowing the dust off this thread…

WFLD/WPWR GM Dennis Welsh is retiring.

Ten years is a good run and he accomplished a lot (most notably the renovation of the station's offices, newsroom, etc..). Hopefully the next GM will continue to strengthen the station. Flannery is leaving at the end of the month too, so I'm curious to see who will cover the political beat going forward. 

• Like 1

Other than the daily beat, they'll have to replace the 90 minutes (Fri & Sat 9:30pm, Sun 8:30am) of airtime Mike provided with his prerecorded political show. Granted, the show replace live news, but maybe they don't want to reinstate that or have the manpower to do so.

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

Other than the daily beat, they'll have to replace the 90 minutes (Fri & Sat 9:30pm, Sun 8:30am) of airtime Mike provided with his prerecorded political show. Granted, the show replace live news, but maybe they don't want to reinstate that or have the manpower to do so.

I could see Dane taking up 'the mantle', if you will, covering politics. But Scott has co-moderated the 2019 & 2023 Chicago mayoral debates and appears to have an interest in covering politics. That said, one could argue that there is no longer a need to have someone cover the political beat full-time.

As far as what to air in place of 'Flannery Fired Up!'...they could bring back 'Later with Leon' to air Fri. and Sat. and just expand GDC Sunday to 7-9A. They did air a 30-min feature show back in April called 'Chicagoland' that, if I'm not mistaken, aired in place of 'FFU' all three days, so it's possible they were testing that show out as a replacement.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Scott Schneider to succeed Mike Flannery covering politics for Fox 32. Guessing Roseanne Tellez heads back to the 4-7A shift temporarily to co-anchor with Anita Padilla.

IMG_0904.thumb.jpeg.7d8130d333a9599b076d4b7ff0519024.jpeg

There is an anchor at WXYZ who just announced she is heading to Chicago. Not gonna bore anyone with the details, as there aren't any, but she is someone to keep an eye on, perhaps for that early slot. Mike also mentioned that Scott will have a Sunday morning program in the works, as he eases into the beat. I'd assume it'll air in the Friday and Saturday 9:30pm slots, as well.

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

There is an anchor at WXYZ who just announced she is heading to Chicago. Not gonna bore anyone with the details, as there aren't any, but she is someone to keep an eye on, perhaps for that early slot. Mike also mentioned that Scott will have a Sunday morning program in the works, as he eases into the beat. I'd assume it'll air in the Friday and Saturday 9:30pm slots, as well.

Tough to say if their new political show will air just on Sundays. My guess is that they may try that ‘Chicagoland’ show I mentioned previously on Friday and Saturday.

In regards to the WXYZ anchor, she could land anywhere (at least initially). Elizabeth will be going on maternity leave soon. They may move Natalie to a M-F shift (instead of Su-Thur), etc…

Edited by jase

6 hours ago, jase said:

In regards to the WXYZ anchor, she could land anywhere (at least initially). Elizabeth will be going on maternity leave soon. They may move Natalie to a M-F shift (instead of Su-Thur), etc…

For the record, we don't know if she, Jenn Schanz, is even going to WFLD. I was just thinking of who recently had anchor vacancies posted to their websites. And, if we're splitting hairs, 32 still has that listing up, anyway. She could be going to WLS, for all we know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, brb588 said:

Kinda abrupt, isn't it? I wonder what happened?

Broadcasting & Cable [ Next|TV ] ran a piece last month and mentioned he was going to retire. I remember reading this story, but I must have over-looked (forgotten) about the part about Corey retiring.

That said, it isn't a surprise. He has been with WFLD /Fox 32 for nearly 30 yrs and is close to 70 yrs old. Scott filled in for him this past Monday, so I'm guessing he will succeed Corey at 5p & 9p???

https://www.nexttv.com/news/local-news-close-up-chicago-is-the-city-of-big-stories

Edited by jase