Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Elizabeth Matthews has been anchoring weekend mornings since Sally Schulze got promoted, but has never been officially named to the position, to my knowledge. That said, the station has never been particularly stable, so it could be for any daypart. Who knows?

As for the weather situation, this is one helluva kick in the pants to all 3 other meteorologists on staff, plus Tim McGill.

Lansing? Are you kidding?

The new anchor/reporter could land anywhere really (GDC Weekends, GDC Weekdays, Fri./Sat. nights w/ Natalie, etc..). Anthony is ok,  but WFLD really needs someone stronger as Cory’s backup.

I’m guessing they went with someone cheap as chief met in order to keep Tim around. Why else would he leave ‘BBM if whatever ‘FLD was offering wasn’t better/long term?

Plus, I’ll take anybody Sun.-Thurs. evenings over Cody any day. I’m almost certain Tim will cover for her when she goes on maternity leave.

Mike is too valuable to GDC to move and Mark likely would require a huge pay rise given he’s been there over 16+ years. 

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

Elizabeth Matthews has been anchoring weekend mornings since Sally Schulze got promoted, but has never been officially named to the position, to my knowledge. That said, the station has never been particularly stable, so it could be for any daypart. Who knows?

As for the weather situation, this is one helluva kick in the pants to all 3 other meteorologists on staff, plus Tim McGill.

Lansing? Are you kidding?

I was already told a few months back  that Mike Caplan didn’t want the evening position.

• 4 months later...

WFLD has been quietly renovating (for over a year) the majority of their footprint (offices, storage, lobbies, etc…) at 205 N. Michigan Ave. 

Last Summer, they renegotiated (and extended) their lease which freed up a ton of cash to completely gut some spaces (along Lake Street) and bring other work spaces up to 2022 standards (if you will). Work continues with no (official) end date announced.

07959E7E-171C-4BD8-9FE2-DF2E138C7CE5.thumb.jpeg.0b4bd1e5ff6294a73561d0d06070e367.jpeg
1D88F52F-811B-4454-A602-DEFEE6C60235.thumb.jpeg.6e93daf7e673afce97663bacaf7e49f5.jpeg

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Awesome, I seem to remember the old newsroom being pretty outdated.

This is a major upgrade. I'm sure everyone is happy to have some natural light.

Edited by jase

Going by the building seen in the window it's the back of the building on the east Stetson Avenue side, and the last Google Street View update last summer, shows a lot of shifts of stuff in that area, including a full-scale remodeling of the back patio/entrance and tree removal. It also helps that a planned hotel project which would have gone up on that site (and cursed this new newsroom for years of construction) failed and it's remained purposefully vacant.

10 minutes ago, cbs2worksforyou said:

Is this the other side of those windows? Sucks they only have a few windows for that entire wall. But good they have some light coming in!

Probably extra windows added since that update; the four-pane seen there wouldn't match to those three panes, and again, definitely a part of the site next to it remaining vacant that those windows could go in.

Edited by mrschimpf

On 2/9/2022 at 9:40 PM, cbs2worksforyou said:

Is this the other side of those windows? Sucks they only have a few windows for that entire wall. But good they have some light coming in!

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.39.09 PM.png

Here’s an updated pic for you. The Fox 32 newsroom is to the right (4-pane windows) and to the left (3-pane windows) is a seating area, etc.. as part of the complex’s tenant amenities I believe (see 2nd pic). Fox 32 often uses this space instead of having reporters outside in the elements.

6B3B0602-9B09-49DC-8054-D38CA1A486F3.thumb.jpeg.0c916f5d80634ba8d66e678bdaf116d7.jpeg
5CCE9310-9BDF-453D-8DD2-752D18CAF1CA.thumb.jpeg.38b72cf87f982487d7d63e9e2039f833.jpeg

Edited by jase
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/02/24/robservations-fox-32-hires-anita-blanton-morning-anchor-courtney-cronin-cover-bears-espn-len-kaspers-sonic45-releases-video/

Fox 32 brings aboard Anita Blanton to co-anchor Good Day Chicago, but wait, Feder's saying just as part of a rotation and not as a permanent co-anchor?

So just to get this right because I don't watch them on a regular basis, they haven't had a permanent co-anchor pairing to date? And they still won't even after hiring Anita?

So this confused me as well. It's been a couple months since I've regularly watched but it was Scott Schneider and Anita Padilla from 4am-9am then Sylvia anchoring at 9am with Terrance usually doing in studio reports. Rosanne usually field reported or fill in anchored if someone was off. Sylvia also anchors the noon news. They even have promos with Scott and Anita for Good Day. So I don't know why they're wanting to do a rotation of anchors unless they're wanting to do something like WGN and figure out a A and B team to break up Good Day hours. Test the chemistry between everyone and then announce a full schedule. I know I'm speculating but I can't figure out why they'd break up what they already have unless they want to tweak it. 

4 minutes ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

So this confused me as well. It's been a couple months since I've regularly watched but it was Scott Schneider and Anita Padilla from 4am-9am then Sylvia anchoring at 9am with Terrance usually doing in studio reports. Rosanne usually field reported or fill in anchored if someone was off. Sylvia also anchors the noon news. They even have promos with Scott and Anita for Good Day. So I don't know why they're wanting to do a rotation of anchors unless they're wanting to do something like WGN and figure out a A and B team to break up Good Day hours. Test the chemistry between everyone and then announce a full schedule. I know I'm speculating but I can't figure out why they'd break up what they already have unless they want to tweak it. 

Wait I thought Tellez anchored from 4-6am?

Edited by R.R.

And isn't Terrence Lee still with Roseanne from 4 to 6? I know he's also Sylvia's sidekick at 9.

I know they pretty much established that Blanton would be on weekdays, but that weekend GDC had not had a declared anchor since Sally Schulze moved to 4pm. Maybe someone gets moved there, or did Elizabeth Matthews get formally announced, and I just missed it? She's been filling that role for like 2 years.

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

And isn't Terrence Lee still with Roseanne from 4 to 6? I know he's also Sylvia's sidekick at 9.

I know they pretty much established that Blanton would be on weekdays, but that weekend GDC had not had a declared anchor since Sally Schulze moved to 4pm. Maybe someone gets moved there, or did Elizabeth Matthews get formally announced, and I just missed it? She's been filling that role for like 2 years.

My guess is that Blanton will have a similar role that Brittney Payton had (feature reporting and co-anchoring the 9A hr). No need to change up the current pairings (Terrence & Roseanne, 4-6A / Scott and Anita P., 6-9A & Sylvia , 9-10A).

Blanton could also take over GDC Weekends and still appear on the weekday version, but who knows?? Guess we have to see how everything plays out.

Edited by jase

7 minutes ago, jase said:

My guess is that Blanton will have a similar role that Brittney Payton had (feature reporting and co-anchoring the 9A hr). No need to change up the current parings (Terrence & Roseanne, 4-6A / Scott and Anita P., 6-9A & Sylvia , 9-10A).

Blanton could also take over GDC Weekends and still appear on the weekday version, but who knows?? Guess we have to see how everything plays out.

Those are all totally plausible. Potentially serving in multiple roles is kind of what Tim McGill will now be doing.

Screenshot_20220225-134230_Facebook.thumb.jpg.6e3a2db39def29807373698746a19537.jpg

Edited by 24994J

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, Spring Rubber said:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2022/02/24/robservations-fox-32-hires-anita-blanton-morning-anchor-courtney-cronin-cover-bears-espn-len-kaspers-sonic45-releases-video/

Fox 32 brings aboard Anita Blanton to co-anchor Good Day Chicago, but wait, Feder's saying just as part of a rotation and not as a permanent co-anchor?

So just to get this right because I don't watch them on a regular basis, they haven't had a permanent co-anchor pairing to date? And they still won't even after hiring Anita?

Strange but I think as good an anchor as Anita's been at WAVY I doubt that it will be very long before she gets a more stable role at FOX 32. My congratulations to her on moving on up in a big way 

Edited by WAVY 10 Fan
Slight revision of wording

• 1 month later...

Something a little ominous about the line "what’s behind her departure should become clear when we see her next move." Could that be a shift to news, a network sports job, or something about the work environment?

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Looks like we now know who Kaitlin Sharkey’s replacement will be.

For some reason, I'm surprised that we found out about her hiring right away. I expected WFLD to drag their feet on a replacement for a while.

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

For some reason, I'm surprised that we found out about her hiring right away. I expected WFLD to drag their feet on a replacement for a while.

As of late, they have been really quick in filling open spots. I believe the sports job was posted and filled within a 2 to 3 week timeframe. The hiring of Wahls and Blanton were out of the blue because most figured they wouldn’t fill those positions.

Edited by jase

• 3 weeks later...