Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

Looks like WFLD is getting some work done to their offices/studios as part of a larger project to remodel one of the outdoor plazas. The plaza, in question, sits on top of their lower level space (where the main studio, newsroom, etc..) is.

Not sure how expansive the work will be, but everything is expected to be completed sometime this Summer.

752E1008-50C4-4420-9ED4-FF1351795BB5.thumb.jpeg.2ecda6f49811b5f6cde10f2fd159b0a8.jpegDA1E43FE-4E49-4D3D-8C20-7483B66A7AB6.thumb.jpeg.1324a2da366df99fd9862fa82897bce5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but hoping someone can help me out!

1) is there a database/list of all the WFLD Chicago 32 news reporters and anchors since 1999 or something?

2) reason being, my dad said he met an anchor a while back but cannot remember his name! He was a Fox 32 anchor with slightly tan complexion and salt&pepper hair and beard/gotee? Maybe around early 2000 did the nightly news?

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Zait2012 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but hoping someone can help me out!

1) is there a database/list of all the WFLD Chicago 32 news reporters and anchors since 1999 or something?

2) reason being, my dad said he met an anchor a while back but cannot remember his name! He was a Fox 32 anchor with slightly tan complexion and salt&pepper hair and beard/gotee? Maybe around early 2000 did the nightly news?

Any ideas? Thanks!

These are, to my knowledge, all the male anchors that might've been around in the late 90's/early 2000's. This list doesn't include general reporters, but this is about all I've got....

Jack Conaty, Darryl Dennard, Maurice Dubois, Jon Duncanson, Patrick Elwood, Byron Harlan,Walter Jacobson, David Novarro, Michael Pomeranz, David Rose, Larry Yellen.

Many of these obviously don't fit your description. That said, the ONLY guy here that seems to fit your description would be David Novarro, previously and currently of WABC, spending about a decade at FOX32. No beard, but I know he had a mustache, at one point.

David-Novarro-Wife.jpg.91155056243e1cd8ec58213d99874c6f.jpgdavid-novarro.jpg.799e792131fa37f0d0716261ceb698e3.jpg

Edited by 24994J

13 hours ago, 24994J said:

These are, to my knowledge, all the male anchors that might've been around in the late 90's/early 2000's. This list doesn't include general reporters, but this is about all I've got....

Jack Conaty, Darryl Dennard, Maurice Dubois, Jon Duncanson, Patrick Elwood, Byron Harlan,Walter Jacobson, David Novarro, Michael Pomeranz, David Rose, Larry Yellen.

Many of these obviously don't fit your description. That said, the ONLY guy here that seems to fit your description would be David Novarro, previously and currently of WABC, spending about a decade at FOX32. No beard, but I know he had a mustache, at one point.

David-Novarro-Wife.jpg.91155056243e1cd8ec58213d99874c6f.jpgdavid-novarro.jpg.799e792131fa37f0d0716261ceb698e3.jpg

thanks for responding! But unfortunately they were not the ones! The guy my dad met might have been a weather man too (not Rick DiMaio, but maybe around the same time as Rick)

lol my dad just wants someone to believe  him when he says he met someone famous from Fox News!

2 hours ago, Zait2012 said:

thanks for responding! But unfortunately they were not the ones! The guy my dad met might have been a weather man too (not Rick DiMaio, but maybe around the same time as Rick)

lol my dad just wants someone to believe  him when he says he met someone famous from Fox News!

Are you talking about Steve Schill?

Vid courtesy of Sloan's TV Archive YT page.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Are you talking about Steve Schill?

Vid courtesy of Sloan's TV Archive YT page.

My dad thinks it might have been Steve Schill but he’s not 100% sure on that name.

Hah I don’t want to bother everyone on this thread - that’s why I was hoping maybe there was a website/wiki/forum that might have a list of anchors/reporters of WFLD over the years? That way I could just go through the list (he’s sure that if he heard the name he could confirm). 

13 hours ago, Zait2012 said:

My dad thinks it might have been Steve Schill but he’s not 100% sure on that name.

Hah I don’t want to bother everyone on this thread - that’s why I was hoping maybe there was a website/wiki/forum that might have a list of anchors/reporters of WFLD over the years? That way I could just go through the list (he’s sure that if he heard the name he could confirm). 

If you go back to a certain point on WFLD's Wikipedia page before they banned lists of 'non-notable' employees (here, anyone without an article), you might be able to look up folks; hope this link might help you out.

• 2 weeks later...

Sylvia did the Noon show from Studio 32 (instead of the main studio) today. Likely some work is being done in the main studio (or something new they’re trying out).

Also, this OTS is pretty cool and I think the first time they have used it (first time I’ve seen it anyway). 

0B369CF3-6BB5-4C63-AE94-B3C0765F61C2.thumb.jpeg.79067bab3924c6cc0049ec2a88619416.jpeg084DC14B-B3D9-43DC-ABFD-B787A2154438.thumb.jpeg.8864c8a8c5a286bced88bc8bfd3ae28e.jpeg

Edited by jase

2 hours ago, jase said:

Sylvia did the Noon show from Studio 32 (instead of the main studio) today. Likely some work is being done in the main studio. 

Also, this OTS is pretty cool and I think the first time they have used it (first time I’ve seen it anyway). 

0B369CF3-6BB5-4C63-AE94-B3C0765F61C2.thumb.jpeg.79067bab3924c6cc0049ec2a88619416.jpeg084DC14B-B3D9-43DC-ABFD-B787A2154438.thumb.jpeg.8864c8a8c5a286bced88bc8bfd3ae28e.jpeg

I just realized the desk was from downstairs! Good thing it’s still in use.

• 1 month later...

So we just had what appears to have been a confirmed tornado come through DuPage County, and it looks like WFLD was the only station in the market that didn't do live coverage of the event. Not sure if the fact that it's Sunday was the biggest factor or if the fact that it happened after 10:30pm was the biggest factor, but everyone else was on live to provide coverage.

24 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I didn't stop to watch, but Kaitlin was on from home, at some point after 11:30. They're currently simulcasting on both 32 and My50.

Hmm, ok, I must have caught them at bad times. I tuned in around 10:50-something and again around 11:50-something, and they were in regular programming both times. I didn't get a chance to check between those times because I was taking shelter and just kept it parked on WMAQ during the middle of the threat.

Edited by Spring Rubber

Channel 5 had the best coverage Channel 7 was fine . Channel 2 did a good job Jim Williams held things together. Don’t know about Channel 9 didn’t watch much but they appeared solid. Channel 32 was on and off all night and was running on fumes with their smaller weather team

19 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Hmm, ok, I must have caught them at bad times. I tuned in around 10:50-something and again around 11:50-something, and they were in regular programming both times. I didn't get a chance to check between those times because I was taking shelter and just kept it parked on WMAQ during the middle of the threat.

They kept going in and out I think she was by herself , not last year because there really wasn’t any major coverage if I can recall however before WFLD had more meteorologists (not now) because they canned Bill if it was just Bill or Mark they would say let me get the latest warnings and we will be right back stay tuned they are both great meteorologists but it’s only so much one weather man and a producer can do.

ABC 7 had Greg Dutra (in his ABC News jacket, as he just might report on GMA today) on the scene in Woodridge very soon after the storm, as he lives just a few miles away. At WGN, Skilling has been on by phone with Janssen, Tahman, and Jackie. Those 4, plus 7's 4 meteorologists are still on. Brant, Pete, and Christian Farr in the field are holding it down on 5.

Edited by 24994J

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Newsboy22234 said:

Tim McGill filling in

Interesting.... Mark was on yesterday, so maybe something is up with Cody. I believe she's pregnant (she looks like it anyway). Maybe she's taking some time off for some reason. Or worse case scenario; her contract is up and they didn't renew.

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

2042335686_bandicam2021-07-0917-34-22-157.thumb.png.879d3497bce0a98142abcacb1fcd4b3b.png

It's all very sudden and odd. This tweet from Tim seems to hint at something more than some spot fill-ins, but it's kind of ironic, since WBBM just gave him a bio on their website in the last week or two. https://chicago.cbslocal.com/personality/tim-mcgill/

Oooh Tim is cheating on CBS 2 with FOX 32 I’m telling 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Didn’t know they were looking for a chief meteorologist. They must have posted the job in the past week. Reportedly, they’re looking to add a anchor/reporter too.  Not sure if this position is an addition or this person is replacing someone currently on staff. 

1 hour ago, jase said:

Didn’t know they were looking for a chief meteorologist. They must have posted the job in the past week. Reportedly, they’re looking to add a anchor/reporter too.  Not sure if this position is an addition or this person is replacing someone currently on staff. 

Elizabeth Matthews has been anchoring weekend mornings since Sally Schulze got promoted, but has never been officially named to the position, to my knowledge. That said, the station has never been particularly stable, so it could be for any daypart. Who knows?

As for the weather situation, this is one helluva kick in the pants to all 3 other meteorologists on staff, plus Tim McGill.

Lansing? Are you kidding?