Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

41 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

WCCB also did the Sun-Thur schedule when they first launched their news department. Never understood why.

Sunday is an NFL gameday, thus they got a Panthers halo effect on that night, and Fox Friday is traditionally a dead zone, so it was smart to just skip Friday until they had enough ratings (a lot of local stations in NFL markets, CBS, Fox, NBC, and even ABC have their main teams Sunday–Thursday for the same reason, with them both or one off on Friday nights).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Good Day Chicago's Brittney Payton is leaving; I feel bad for not recalling any memory of her (also admittedly not an avid viewer, so 🙃). The turnover for just this one newscast is too much.

They are a pretty tight group at WFLD, so they will no doubt miss her. She had a pretty light workload compared to everyone else, so she wouldn't be hard to replace. Honestly, I could see them hiring a morning sports anchor (which they haven't had in years).

On 12/3/2020 at 4:54 AM, Newsboy22234 said:

They probably won’t even fill the position while not as desperate as WBBM , I’m sure they will try and make cuts when and where they can.

I would argue they are managing their money well rather than them looking to ‘make cuts’. You don’t add a newscast, re-model a studio and hire 4 on-air full-time people (in a pandemic no less) if you’re hurting financially. 

They may feel the need for another co-anchor (counting Payton’s spot, GDC has 6 co-anchors) isn’t necessary anymore and choose to eliminate the position. 

Edited by jase
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jase said:

I would argue they are managing their money well rather than them looking to ‘make cuts’. You don’t add a newscast, re-model a studio and hire 4 full-time people (in a pandemic no less) if you’re hurting financially. 

They may feel the need for another co-anchor (counting Payton’s spot, GDC has 6 co-anchors) isn’t necessary anymore and choose to eliminate the position. 

You do have a point

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Some troubling news from a troubled station here:

As mentioned, admittedly not an avid viewer so I'm not sure if she was already being phased out by year's end of 2020. 

But regardless, these developments are very sad.

Michelle, like most traffic reporters, were sidelined because of the pandemic. Unlike her counterparts at WLS, WMAQ, etc... who hold duo roles as news/features reporters, etc..., she didn't have that opportunity at WFLD because she was not an employee and hadn't been seen on GDC (until a couple of days/weeks ago) since last March.   

Whatever is going on, I don't know. Maybe she is upset about not being able to come back sooner. That said, it's a tough call to make given there hasn't been enough going on 'traffic-wise' to justify having someone do traffic reports.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I saw it this morning. Kind of surprised since he's been there for awhile. Wonder who is going to fill the top spot. They only have 3 of them left. I haven't watched a lot of fox but I have recently been watching during the day. Is Mark on during the weekends?

I’m surprised also particularly because I figured they wouldn’t cut anyone loose prior to the launch of the ‘Fox Weather’ streaming initiative. I’m willing to bet that (Fox Weather) likely played a part in their decision to cut Bill. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cody gets clipped too.

Mark does Friday evenings, double duty on Saturdays and Sunday mornings. Not sure how things are going to change now that Bill is gone. 

4 minutes ago, R.R. said:

Let's see what they do. (Hoping Caplan gets the spot)

Mike, without question, deserves the spot, but I don’t think they want to move him off GDC. He’s arguably Good Day’s biggest draw and they probably don’t want to mess with that. No offense, but nobody’s tuning in to see Jake Hamilton. 

1 hour ago, jase said:

Mike, without question, deserves the spot, but I don’t think they want to move him off GDC. He’s arguably Good Day’s biggest draw and they probably don’t want to mess with that. No offense, but nobody’s tuning in to see Jake Hamilton. 

I agree. Mike Caplan deserves the spot. He's one of the cities best meteorologists. I've been watching a lot of Good Day the past couple weeks and he is indeed great on there. I love his love for the weather. 

It'll be interesting to see if they promote within or hire out. 

I noticed Kaitlin Cody wasn't on the 9am show but she's on at noon. So maybe she's doing the evening ones this week?

Edited by NBC 5 Chicago

This does seem like a situation where they might only staff in-house weather on weekdays and outsource either weekends or middays to the Fox Weather service. I would agree with Jase that perhaps the launch of Fox Weather is at least part of the reason why Bellis is out, which is what we feared when the service was announced - the departure of local meteorologists from Fox O&Os nationwide.

I say they should give Mike the top spot . They need to put Mark back on mornings as I don’t believe a almost 20 year veteran should be on weekends. As well as I’m not a fan of Kaitlyn Cody . I also hope Bill can find his way to another Chicago station maybe Channel 2 as he’s a great meteorologist 

Edited by Newsboy22234
  • Like 1

Losing Bellis is a huge blow to WFLD. He was a constant in the weather department and really did a solid job. They were keeping stable for so long and now I feel like they’re starting to go backwards again. I would’ve cut Cody first. It’s no disrespect, I just feel like she talks to viewers like we’re kindergartners. 

Can someone provide more insight in regards to outsourcing to Fox Weather? I totally missed this?

Edited by Chicago News Boy

5 minutes ago, Chicago News Boy said:

Can someone provide more insight in regards to outsourcing to Fox Weather? I totally missed this?

There hasn't technically been any confirmation of this, outside of some suspect corporate speak in the press release. I'll link to @Weeters' assessment of this from that discussion. The announcement is at the top of that thread.

12 hours ago, 24994J said:

There hasn't technically been any confirmation of this, outside of some suspect corporate speak in the press release. I'll link to @Weeters' assessment of this from that discussion. The announcement is at the top of that thread.

@24994J Thank you so much for linking this for me. You’re awesome! I appreciate it. Very interesting! 

Edited by Chicago News Boy

9 hours ago, brianpr3 said:

hope they give Megan Glaros a call she is credible, if caplan gets the promotion and i dont like cody there is something off on her

Probably will not happen I believe they are just trying to cut people not find a replacement. They only had  3 meteorologists for years until they hired Mike