Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

Shame about Peppler. I really liked her balanced approach when covering the Bears, etc... They can't seem to hang on to their #2 sports anchor/reporter for long. Peppler is the 4th one to leave in the past 5+ yrs I believe. 

FOX is likely to ride out Weigel's contract and not renew it. I'm guessing he signed a 3-yr deal in 2017 which means there's just a few months left on it.  The situation remains too troubling to have him on-air in any role. 

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Siera Santos has been freelancing at 32 for awhile now, so I'll assume she'll take over the #2 role.

It's possible, but my guess is that they select someone else and she would remain in her current freelancing role (along with Mitch). Given the growing # of job openings at WFLD (ranging from anchors/reporters to producers and so on), they likely won't be making any decisions anytime soon.

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

He wasn't in the latest slate of GDC promos, so the writing was on the wall. Hopefully his therapy and treatment will help him out, on and off the job.

Let’s be honest... he wasn’t coming back from this. Maybe if he recognized he had a problem and taken a personal leave of absence before all of this broke; the chances of him keeping his job would have been greater.

Nevertheless, hope he continues to seek/receive the necessary treatment he needs.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, CLETVFan said:

Terrence Lee is leaving WEWS, and is headed for Chicago.  His final newscast on Good Morning Cleveland is February 7.

19 hours ago, NBC 5 Chicago said:

I wonder where in Chicago he is headed?

19 hours ago, 24994J said:

If it's as a reporter, it could be anywhere. If as an anchor, WBBM and WFLD have had job listings for awhile, though the former has recently taken down the position, implying that CBS 2 may have filled the position.

14 hours ago, Greggo said:

WFLD maybe? They've got a fresh opening after booting the previously suspended Rafer Weigel earlier this week.

Feder says its WFLD. 

Also WGAL reporter Brittany Garzillo is also joining the station as a reporter.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After a long break, WFLD has returned to using ‘Studio 32.’ In addition, they have made some small changes (adding the FOX 32 logo, etc..) to clean up the space.

Now that the space next to them is empty, I wonder if they plan to expand into that area and maybe move the newsroom upstairs. It would be too good of an opportunity to pass up.

401F0063-BA75-44CC-A0B7-5FC28B9BD9E2.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The newbies are finally on-air (albeit a week later than anticipated). Terrence Lee replaces Rafer Weigel as the new co-anchor of Good Day Wake Up, 4-6A. He started Wednesday (I think). Brittney Garzillo started yesterday & will be a reporter/fill-in anchor.

5EAE0AE0-8EAD-49B7-9472-65B390F80A29.thumb.jpeg.82290de1302b655c6695f1146f4f6840.jpeg0FEEA744-DC39-4A02-9B78-56F409C3EB38.thumb.jpeg.c98cafd12aa822d805e614718336bede.jpeg

Edited by jase

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, jase said:

Kaitlin Sharkey made her debut today (?) as the new weekend sports anchor/reporter.

She had a quick live shot from Wrigley last night, on-screen for not even a minute, so yeah, I'd count her anchoring as an official debut.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to be walking by WFLD and in addition to the small changes I mentioned previously regarding Studio 32, they have also added a video monitor similar to the one they have in the main studio.

Tough to see in this picture, but it is up and running..

64D3C7AD-D8DC-4DFD-8B84-6E5B7AC74123.thumb.jpeg.108d6bf13be0024c620f43710d57f5d0.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Quick Notes:

After 3 1/2 yrs., Mark Zonca resigned as Executive Producer of Good Day Chicago (in March) to become Asst. News Director at WFTS-TV (ABC) in Tampa. Zonca is married to WBBM meteorologist Mary Kay Kleist.

Work on Studio 32 could be heading towards the finish line. The new, expanded space (upstairs from main studio) is divided by a large video monitor into 'two sets'. It's unclear what the space will be used for. Ideally, 'Flannery Fired Up,' 'Bears Unleashed,' etc.. could tape from Studio 32 and free up the main studio for breaking news coverage.

2 hours ago, jase said:

Quick Notes:

After 3 1/2 yrs., Mark Zonca resigned as Executive Producer of Good Day Chicago (in March) to become Asst. News Director at WFTS-TV (ABC) in Tampa. Zonca is married to WBBM meteorologist Mary Kay Kleist.

Work on Studio 32 could be heading towards the finish line. The new, expanded space (upstairs from main studio) is divided by a large video monitor into 'two sets'. It's unclear what the space will be used for. Ideally, 'Flannery Fired Up,' 'Bears Unleashed,' etc.. could tape from Studio 32 and free up the main studio for breaking news coverage.

Are Zonca and Kleist living separately at this point? Or is he still living in Chicago and working remotely?

Yeah, it will definitely be nice to put their ancillary programming in a separate space and leave the news desk to...well...the news, if that is indeed the direction they decide to go.

1 hour ago, Spring Rubber said:

Are Zonca and Kleist living separately at this point? Or is he still living in Chicago and working remotely?

Yeah, it will definitely be nice to put their ancillary programming in a separate space and leave the news desk to...well...the news, if that is indeed the direction they decide to go.

No..he’s in Tampa for sure. Given all that’s going on, they likely haven’t had the chance to work out a plan (Mary Kay going to FL for a wk., etc...).

My understanding is that work on Studio 32 began in earnest in Feb. Likely because of the pandemic & w/ safety in mind, they have been slower than normal finishing it. I wouldn’t expect anything grand. One wall has what looks like brick wallpaper on it, but don’t hold me to that. Also, the construction crew must work either at night or on certain days because every time I walk past there, it’s completely dark. 

Edited by jase

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on Studio 32. Scott and Anita have begun appearing in GDC promos from the studio. As you can see, Anita is standing next to the faux brick wall I was talking about previously. No word on when GDC (or any other program) will start using that space.

3EF5C472-4A4E-49B2-BBE9-0D63F1ADE6F6.thumb.jpeg.173eca8dfb1d18d15c1481a8a7894164.jpegC3CFFAEC-8F6D-48DE-9FE1-B93A64634992.thumb.jpeg.71267650f98d8ae5ff0f3973d1207d5b.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(mutters) someone tell WFLD to put Sally's bio on their website...

The newscast replaces a continuation of TMZ/TMZ Live.

So what are the chances they're able to take a chomp out of their 4PM competitors - WGN, WLS, WMAQ?

Anyway, in their current condition, it feels a bit like offering your loyal viewers more chances to watch you instead of really trying to win others over.

ABC7 & WGN have appointment TV-level viewer loyalty, and 7 & NBC5 also following first tier syndicated programming. Fox32 has neither, so good friggin' luck, is all I have to say.

If they wanted to make inroads at 4, they'd wisely poach the first-run slate of Family Feud from sister My50 to lead into the 5 o'clock newscast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, Roadrunner said:

(mutters) someone tell WFLD to put Sally's bio on their website...

The newscast replaces a continuation of TMZ/TMZ Live.

So what are the chances they're able to take a chomp out of their 4PM competitors - WGN, WLS, WMAQ?

Anyway, in their current condition, it feels a bit like offering your loyal viewers more chances to watch you instead of really trying to win others over.

Sally may just being standing in for Natalie who's on maternity leave. Otherwise, that's a major step up for her and very unfair to Natalie imo. My guess is 25 Words will only air on My50 and the new afternoon lineup will be ... Fox 32 News @ NoonDr. Oz  (1p) | TMZ  Live (2p) | Family Feud  (3p) and  First at 4P.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, 24994J said:

ABC7 & WGN have appointment TV-level viewer loyalty, and 7 & NBC5 also following first tier syndicated programming. Fox32 has neither, so good friggin' luck, is all I have to say.

If they wanted to make inroads at 4, they'd wisely poach the first-run slate of Family Feud from sister My50 to lead into the 5 o'clock newscast.

I'm pretty sure WFLD (if not all Fox O&Os) use other rating measurements aside from Nielsen, so I doubt the goal is to topple anyone. As long as the station is profitable, they hit or exceed current demos for the 4P hour, etc.. they're satisfied.

Edited by jase

3 minutes ago, jase said:

Sally may just being standing in for Natalie who's on maternity leave. Otherwise, that's a major step up for her and very unfair to Natalie imo.

Given how swift they change up anchor lineups and roles, I wouldn't be surprised one bit. Also, you're probably right about not caring as much about ratings because in the end, they can continue to rake in more ad money with more newscasts.

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Given how swift they change up anchor lineups and roles, I wouldn't be surprised one bit. Also, you're probably right about not caring as much about ratings because in the end, they can continue to rake in more ad money with more newscasts.

I also think it would be best if they moved the main crew back to a M-F schedule instead of Sun-Th to align things up better.