Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

We've seen this type of thing done at other stations, a comedian's daily take on the news. I scoff at those, as those personalities are serving as 'formal' anchors on existing newscasts. No one has referred to this is a newscast, and it's not replacing a current newscast. That makes a difference, to me.

• Like 3

I honestly do t think there trying to compete with anyone they probably don’t want to keep paying to keep the rights to air modern family or Big Bang ( they keep changing it) or whatever the heck they air at 10. This is also a cheap in house option an I hate to say it they don’t need 5 newscasts on at 10pm. CBS2 can barley get ratings 4 is enough.

20 hours ago, Jay Russell said:

I honestly do t think there trying to compete with anyone they probably don’t want to keep paying to keep the rights to air modern family or Big Bang ( they keep changing it) or whatever the heck they air at 10. This is also a cheap in house option an I hate to say it they don’t need 5 newscasts on at 10pm. CBS2 can barley get ratings 4 is enough.

How is WBBM still doing so bad after all these years? The rock bottom days of Rob Johnson and Anne State seem so long ago that they’ve got to be somewhat better than 10 years ago right?

How does WGN’s fairly new 10 pm offering fair among the competition?

On 9/2/2019 at 10:02 AM, MorningNews said:

How is WBBM still doing so bad after all these years? The rock bottom days of Rob Johnson and Anne State seem so long ago that they’ve got to be somewhat better than 10 years ago right?

How does WGN’s fairly new 10 pm offering fair among the competition?

Frankly, I'm not sure when WBBM hit rock bottom, but the Johnson/State duo immediately preceded their most successful period in a quarter century. Anne slowly got demoted off newscasts until Rob was going solo all evening. Meanwhile, CBS primetime was blowing up, and WMAQ was dealing with the tandem troubles of a rocky 10pm anchor change & The Jay Leno Show. WBBM became an unchallenged #2 for most of the 2009-10 season. In addition to a new midday anchor team (Porterfield/Tellez), they used this momentum to hire Kate Sullivan, reinstate a normal morning news, and reunite Bill and Walter. All good ideas, but then NBC5 recovered, and most decisions since to stop the bleeding just further flung them into the abyss.

At 10, WBBM typically trails WGN by a few tenths of a point, both settling in the 2.5-3.0 range. WMAQ beats that by a point or two, and WLS sits between a 6 and 7.

At 9pm, WGN typically beats FOX32 with like 4.0 to the low 2's.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Frankly, I'm not sure when WBBM hit rock bottom, but the Johnson/State duo immediately preceded their most successful period in a quarter century. Anne slowly got demoted off newscasts until Rob was going solo all evening. Meanwhile, CBS primetime was blowing up, and WMAQ was dealing with the tandem troubles of a rocky 10pm anchor change & The Jay Leno Show. WBBM became an unchallenged #2 for most of the 2009-10 season. In addition to a new midday anchor team, they used this momentum to hire Kate Sullivan, reinstated a normal morning news, and reunite Bill and Walter. All good ideas, but then NBC5 recovered, and most decisions since to stop the bleeding and further flung them into the abyss.

At 10, WBBM typically trails WGN by a few tenths of a point, both settling in the 2.5-3.0 range. WMAQ beats that by a point or two, and WLS sits between a 6 and 7.

At 9pm, WGN typically beats FOX32 with like 4.0 to the low 2's.

That's right. In my head I lump the failed CBS Broadcast Center street studio with the Johnson/State, but you're right I completely forgot that period around the start of the decade where the 10 pm was doing really well. MAN how could I forget that awful morning show experiment "Monsters & Money in The Morning." 

Seems like not much has changed in nearly a decade. WLS on top, WMAQ and WGN following behind, and CBS and Fox are still trailing way behind. Although, I thought I read that Good Day Chicago was picking up steam and competing again? Either way, both stations are owned and operated in a major market so it's insane that they've been absolute doormats for so long.

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Seems like not much has changed in nearly a decade. WLS on top, WMAQ and WGN following behind, and CBS and Fox are still trailing way behind. Although, I thought I read that Good Day Chicago was picking up steam and competing again? Either way, both stations are owned and operated in a major market so it's insane that they've been absolute doormats for so long.

No one really talks about morning ratings, except that WGN is #1 from 4-10 and ABC 7 is #2, which has been the case for a few years now. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if GDC is making progress, with the solid team that's in place. Across the board, this is the best news product that WFLD has put to air in almost 20 years, though they sorely lack a formal investigative unit.

On 9/2/2019 at 2:55 PM, 24994J said:

No one really talks about morning ratings, except that WGN is #1 from 4-10 and ABC 7 is #2, which has been the case for a few years now. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if GDC is making progress, with the solid team that's in place. Across the board, this is the best news product that WFLD has put to air in almost 20 years, though they sorely lack a formal investigative unit.

GDC has, occasionally,  come in 2nd (within the 7-10A time frame). Anita mentioned it (off air/on Facebook) in February. I believe there are rules that prohibit certain discussions about ratings. We, as viewers, never get a deep dive into the #s only the most basic info. (households, 18-49, etc...). That said, mornings is were the money is made which is why WFLD has put their biggest stars (Caplan, Perez, Tellez, etc..) on GDC.

My guess is that they are satisfied with the #s @ Noon, 5p & 9p. Outside of the occasional team-up with an organization like the BGA, they really don't get into investigations. I think they feel they can best spend their resources on other things. I do wish they go back to doing the Good Day After Show on Facebook.

Looks like WFLDs web site got a re-do (I believed this happened within the past couple of days). This new look is much better, but hasn't made its way across all the FOX O&Os (New look in Chicago, LA and DC, no change in NYC, Dallas or Orlando). 

1556046495_ScreenShot2019-09-09at8_22_30AM.thumb.png.367b7f223ce31d0a6b184453fd888083.png

1696697165_ScreenShot2019-09-09at8_36_30AM.thumb.png.465a62f2421fa0de44207356495d5338.png

79867273_ScreenShot2019-09-09at8_21_45AM.thumb.png.dda7c95dd519d85ba6b3e87aec225919.png

985309845_ScreenShot2019-09-09at8_23_23AM.thumb.png.9c90fe09ae0923ab0c3454cac2579d0f.png

• 4 weeks later...

Later with Leon moves to a new time (11:30P). Not a good sign given the show has only been on for less than a month. 

Dakarai Turner is out (no surprise) after less than 3 yrs. at WFLD. 

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/10/07/robservations-ex-tribune-exec-head-creative-services-programming-nbc-5/

7 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

11:30pm? With essentially no lead-in? Are they basically trying to kill off the show at this point?

My guess is that MF and Big Bang does better at 10/10:30P, that they decided to moved them back. While the time change is unnerving for LWL, being sandwiched between TMZ and Extra makes sense from a programming perspective(?).

4 hours ago, Jay Russell said:

Dakari Turner wasn’t that bad plus he was just a reporter the only bad reporter they truly have had I believe her name was Alexa forget last name

Sorry, but Turner was the weak link in their very small reporter ranks. While he wasn’t as bad as Alexa Helms, he was close. Given they often have just 2 reporters on the night shift (M-F) and 1 on the weekends, they can’t afford to have someone bringing down the ship, particularly when it comes to covering breaking news.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, Georgie56 said:

Not sure how Weigel comes back from this. The story/alleged allegations are very troubling.

Side Note: I went to a taping of ‘Later with Leon’ last Thursday. Very intimate setting (maybe about 12 seats total for audience members). And yes that’s Robin Robinson (former Fox 32 News Anchor) with CPD Chief Johnson. She works for the CPD these days.

B93B54DD-753F-4D3C-A4AE-1ADA182F2701.jpeg

D76F8375-9388-49E8-B2B9-1A1DF9E2D03E.jpeg

7FC78533-9584-4AD7-A903-7DBEC40E6C90.jpeg

4D8945CF-8CFC-493B-BAB1-1C1D80A8102F.jpeg

DCAF1361-B8F6-4CEF-87A3-CD61461FFF2E.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Wow, I didn't realize that they use the news set for that show. I've never watched.

Yeah..I’ve only watched a couple of episodes. Short of becoming a Fox 32 employee, this is/was the only opportunity to see the set in person. The lower level (where the studio, newsroom, etc.. are) is pretty cavernous you could get lost if you took a wrong turn.

Overall, everyone was nice and welcoming. This caught my eye on the way in/out. They display photos of everyone (from the GM, Account Reps., Anchors, etc.. in no particular order) which is pretty cool. Apparently, you could wear whatever and pose however you wanted.

107804A7-A9A5-4048-AFE2-9D605973BD55.jpeg

Edited by jase
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 24994J said:

WFLD has a few anchor/reporter job listings on their website, and a familiar face might be one of the candidates.

Roseanne posted that Marissa is doing PR and was there with a guest who was on GDC. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not surprisingly, Shae Peppler is signing off from the FOX32 sports team after the Super Bowl. Her husband, ACC Network host Jordan Cornette has been commuting between Chicago and Bristol since the network's launch.

Meanwhile, Robert Feder mentioned this morning that Rafer Weigel has been cleared in that whole sexting mess, but no word on when or if he'll return to the station.