Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

I will check out their 5:00 evening newscast and the 9:00 evening newscast as well. I might tune in to see the morning news tomorrow on Fox 32, just in case if they start using Beyond on the other newscasts.

Here you go...

• Like 1

For some reason, I don’t think Beyond fits WFLD.

I agree. Maybe if they had updated the graphics to match/go along with the music that would have helped. It sound too coastal (if that make sense) to me. Streaming News will always be my favorite.

• Like 2

Instead of doing a news update during the late halftime show, WFLD carried the second segment of the Visa halftime report and then did a brief local segment with the Bears Gameday Live crew during the ensuing commercial break.

Does anybody remember if WFLD did a news update during the week 1 late halftime show?

• Like 2

Instead of doing a news update during the late halftime show, WFLD carried the second segment of the Visa halftime report and then did a brief local segment with the Bears Gameday Live crew during the ensuing commercial break.

Does anybody remember if WFLD did a news update during the week 1 late halftime show?

They probably did.

If the Bears are playing an early game, the late halftime newsbreak is usually a quick recap of that game.

Formerly a White Sox reporter for the network, Siera Santos left NBC Sports Chicago last week, and is now freelancing at FOX32. She effectively becomes the 4th member of that department, with Lou Canellis, Shae Peppler, and freelancer Mitch Robinson.

[MEDIA=twitter]1044732003139096577[/MEDIA]

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Rafer confirms it. Curious to see what becomes of the Ponce/Bomke pair, as they're a superior anchor team compared to Schneider/Padilla from 6-9am.

Didn't see this coming. I think they wanted Rafer behind the anchor desk more than out in the field given he tends to go off script.  I have said before that Anita is better off in the field, so maybe Natalie takes her spot? Not sure about Anthony. Guess we'll find out how things shake out tomorrow.

Edited by jase

From Feder:

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/02/21/robservations-fox-32-teams-roseanne-tellez-rafer-weigel-mornings/

"Tellez and Weigel replace Anthony Ponce and Natalie Bomke on the early morning newscast. Ponce will move to weekend anchor and Bomke will take on evening reporting duties, according to the station."

Edited by jase

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jay Russell said:

Bill Zwecker just appears out of nowhere not complaining just a thought

Guessing he was on an extended leave of absence. Not sure when was the last time he appeared on GDC.

30 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I've always thought of Bill as a kind of critic at large, as Jake Hamilton does most of the heavy lifting on press junkets and stuff.

Yes, critic at large is a perfect way to describe his role. Since he retired from the Sun-Times, this is the only job Bill has (I believe) and he likely has the freedom to do whatever/whenever for GDC. Not a bad gig to have.

Edited by jase

• 1 month later...

Kristen Nicole is leaving WFLD to move to Kentucky to be with her son who splits time from Kentucky and Chicago. Her last day is May 31. They announced it on Fox 32 at 9 pm tonight. She plans to spend more time with her family, as she expects a third child.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:29 PM, Chicago News Boy said:

Kristen Nicole is leaving WFLD to move to Kentucky to be with her son who splits time from Kentucky and Chicago. Her last day is May 31. They announced it on Fox 32 at 9 pm tonight. She plans to spend more time with her family, as she expects a third child.

She'll be anchoring the 10pm show there in October.

Edited by CircleSeven

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, this is random. For the first time in nearly a decade, FOX32 will be re-entering the weeknight (M-Th) 10pm slot. Morning radio host and comedian (and frequent Windy City Live panelist) Leon Rogers will be joined by reporter Tia Ewing for nightly recap of the day's top stories, with interviews, and a comedic/personality-driven twist. Airing only 4 nights a week (Fridays have Mike Flannery's show and Bears programming at 9:30 and 10), it's unclear if the show will be live. I'd imagine not, as he will maintain his morning drive show on WGCI.

Edgy, non-traditional 10pm show on WFLD? The Ten, oops, I mean Later with Leon premieres September 9th.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/29/robservations-wgcis-leon-rogers-host-late-night-show-fox-32/

Here's a bit from the rehearsals, using the standard lower third text template, on lit, neon-like graphics...

Edited by 24994J

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Well, this is random. For the first time in nearly a decade, FOX32 will be re-entering the weeknight (M-Th) 10pm slot. Morning radio host and comedian (and frequent Windy City Live panelist) Leon Rogers will be joined by reporter Tia Ewing for nightly recap of the day's top stories, with interviews, and a comedic/personality-driven twist. Airing only 4 nights a week (Fridays have Mike Flannery's show and Bears programming at 9:30 and 10), it's unclear if the show will be live. I'd imagine not, as he will maintain his morning drive show on WGCI.

Edgy, non-traditional 10pm show on WFLD? The Ten, oops, I mean Later with Leon premieres September 9th.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/29/robservations-wgcis-leon-rogers-host-late-night-show-fox-32/

Here's a bit from the rehearsals, using the standard lower third text template, on lit, neon-like graphics...

This has to be a joke. If this is meant to dethrone WLS' most-watched 10:00 p.m. news, then good 'effin luck. This program might as well be canceled within two-three weeks after launch if it still doesn't do better than WBBM's 10:00 p.m. news.

I prefer Alan and Cheryl over Leon and I still even prefer Brad and Irika over Leon, despite the latter's continued struggles in the news ratings.

3 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

This has to be a joke. If this is meant to dethrone WLS' most-watched 10:00 p.m. news, then good 'effin luck. This program might as well be canceled within two-three weeks after launch if it still doesn't do better than WBBM's 10:00 p.m. news.

I prefer Alan and Cheryl over Leon and I still even prefer Brad and Irika over Leon, despite the latter's continued struggles in the news ratings.

I applaud their efforts to do something different and create a local show that’s not sports or politics-related. Since it’s not a news program (per say), I’m sure they aren’t looking to ‘dethrone’ anyone. At best, get about the same (or better) #s than whatever airs currently at 10. Seems like an achievable enough goal. 

If it doesn’t work, then so be it. Better to have tried something new than nothing at all.

Edited by jase
  • Like 4