Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

Conspiracy theory: GDC remains in transition for awhile in the off chance that Sinclair completely blows up WGN Morning News.

As for Sylvia not anchoring weekend mornings, that kind of makes sense. She's been anchoring at noon essentially every day with no Darlene around.

Is Sylvia anchoring the Noon on Mondays, or is she off on Sunday and Monday?

Random thought from Sunday night into Monday morning... WFLD did Bears GameNight Live... and it was actually live after the newscast at like 1:30am. They mentioned that Dan Hampton had to leave and wasn't able to appear on the show due to the late hour.

So...I'm guessing they're contractually obligated to do the show live no matter what? Logic would dictate that you'd just prerecord the show during the baseball game as soon as you realize how slowly the game was progressing. It's gotta be that their contract prevents them from prerecording.

Do they take viewer calls though (thus justifitying the live aspect)? It feels like they could have just took that out (unless Dan Hampton has a bizarre exclusivity contract where he can't do late night TV) and pre-record the show (but with the Zach Miller injury they may have felt the need to have Joe from Palos Heights get in his feelings about it). I know WITI dispensed with their Sunday show for the week, but they had the excuse of the Packers being on a bye.

But on another note, the Bears' surrounding content TV contract has been a mess for years. Part on WFLD, part on NBCSC, and with many different hosts for each show. They need to streamline it for sure.

• Like 2

Not only that, there was a lot of overlap between him and Bill Z that it seemed Richard didn't really have a lot to do on most days. I think that it got to a point that it wasn't worth his and FOX 32 time to continue this relationship (if you will).

It doesn't even seem like they care to use Bill Zwecker much anymore.. Looks like much of Richard Roeper's "duties" were given to Jake Hamilton.. Including all the interviewing of movie actors. It also looks like Jake has been given much of the entertainment reporting too. Wouldn't surprise me if Bill is out when contract is up.

• Like 4

It doesn't even seem like they care to use Bill Zwecker much anymore.. Looks like much of Richard Roeper's "duties" were given to Jake Hamilton.. Including all the interviewing of movie actors. It also looks like Jake has been given much of the entertainment reporting too. Wouldn't surprise me if Bill is out when contract is up.

They probably came to the conclusion that they didn't need 3 people doing entertainment-related stuff. Jake has always done features with more of an entertainment angle to them since he arrived @ WFLD, so I noticed no real difference.

I also think they're in a bit of a flux @ GDC [ no Corey, Darlene, Richard and Kristen (maternity leave), loss of DNAInfo content, etc.. ] and could be preparing to make more changes leading into the new year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jenny Milkowski is out. Who's next? I hope the new traffic girl rents just in case (or when) WGN Morning News gets blown up by $inclair. Like I said on FB, wasn't surprised by this. Thought she would leave before being pushed out, but oh well. She has a following and will find a better fit for her in time.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/01/29/michelle-alegria-join-good-day-chicago-traffic-reporter/

Jenny Milkowski is out. Who's next? I hope the new traffic girl rents just in case (or when) WGN Morning News gets blown up by $inclair.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/01/29/michelle-alegria-join-good-day-chicago-traffic-reporter/

Okay, so I'm not the only one with the theory that Good Day Chicago is in a holding pattern until they see what happens to WGN Morning News, and whether or not they can get their hands on talent.

• Like 3

Okay, so I'm not the only one with the theory that Good Day Chicago is in a holding pattern until they see what happens to WGN Morning News, and whether or not they can get their hands on talent.

Even if Sinclair completely destroys WGN Morning News, I can't imagine anyone leaving for WFLD and/or a huge amount of viewers turning to GDC. Jenny and Mike were a good pair. Can't for the life of me figure out why WFLD dropped her.

• Like 1

Seems like they have their eyes on people who had ties to WLS (Caplan, Perez, Weigel and now Algeria). Not sure I get/support this hire. Payton (who is dreadful beyond belief) and Alegria have similar backgrounds, so I don't know what either can really bring to GDC that will be helpful. Even if Sinclair completely destroys WGN Morning News, I can't imagine anyone leaving for WFLD and/or a huge amount of viewers turning to GDC.

To be fair, I'm not saying they'll be successful, just that I wouldn't be surprised if they try.

• Like 2

To be fair, I'm not saying they'll be successful, just that I wouldn't be surprised if they try.

They would need to also grab some behind-the-scenes people too from WGN to be really successful. I could see them try to make a play for Larry. I doubt Robin would want to work for her ex-husband or Paul pushing Mike out (unless they get rid of Bill and move Mike to evenings).

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the Friday night show has been 30 minutes since the Bears show restarted for this season. That's about the time Rafer and Sylvia became Friday night anchors, and Corey and Dawn took Sundays. With that show over, they either reinstated a 2nd half hour of news, or figure out another option. Now we know that they chose the latter.

• Like 4

I believe the Friday night show has been 30 minutes since the Bears show restarted for this season. That's about the time Rafer and Sylvia became Friday night anchors, and Corey and Dawn took Sundays. With that show over, they either reinstated a 2nd half hour of news, or figure out another option. Now we know that they chose the latter.

They have cut the Friday 9P newscast short before (normally during ratings periods) to run special programs (i.e Chicago at the Tipping Point, Inside the Bears, etc..), so it's unclear if 'Fired Up' will become a regular thing. Feder often complains/points out that WFLD does this to fudge their ratings #s.

• 3 weeks later...
Jenny Milkowski is out. Who's next? I hope the new traffic girl rents just in case (or when) WGN Morning News gets blown up by $inclair. Like I said on FB, wasn't surprised by this. Thought she would leave before being pushed out, but oh well. She has a following and will find a better fit for her in time.

Apparently she has landed a gig on 100.3 WSHE as their afternoon drive personality along with Jay Stiles... at least she landed on her feet... she starts March 29th...

Apparently she has landed a gig on 100.3 WSHE as their afternoon drive personality along with Jay Stiles... at least she landed on her feet... she starts March 29th...

Not surprised someone picked Jenny up. I'm still unclear as to why WFLD let her go in the first place. Her replacement brings nothing to GDC and can't even finish reading the map/travel times most days.

• Like 2

Anthony Ponce is coming back inside from the car, going head-to-head with his big brother. No word on where that leaves that other lady, who's so memorable that I can't think of her name.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/03/13/robservations-anthony-ponce-parks-fox-32-morning-show/

[MEDIA=twitter]973570008193425408[/MEDIA]

Anthony Ponce is coming back inside from the car, going head-to-head with his big brother. No word on where that leaves that other lady, who's so memorable that I can't think of her name.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/03/13/robservations-anthony-ponce-parks-fox-32-morning-show/

[MEDIA=twitter]973570008193425408[/MEDIA]

I saw Anthony make appearances on Morning Dose, too.

• Like 1

Kristen Nicole is the name that you're looking for. Maybe she takes over for Anita (who then goes back to just reporting) or Kristen goes back to GDC Weekends where she started when she came to WFLD. They needed another guy on the mornings and Anthony is a solid pick.

• Like 1