Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

Rafer, Mark and George did the Friday night shows, so there's either a good reason (showing viewers the new team), or I do wonder if they're considering the Sun-Thu anchor schedule (I'm pretty sure) they tried in the 90s.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Here's my opinion of WFLD, Their product and talent has improved over that last years. I sometimes watch GDC over my usual ABC7. GDC has Mike Caplan(which he is excellent). WFLD made awesome decisions by picking up Mike, Sylvia, and Rafer and making Corey lead anchor.

Call me crazy, but I don't disagree. My morning habits have not changed (7 before 7, then switch to 'GN), but I am increasingly making 32 my 9pm news of choice. I have no tangible evidence to prove it, but with all their expansion at 6 and 10, I'm convinced that the quality, content, and perhaps most of all, pacing of WGN's marquee newscast has suffered greatly. No amount of Skilling can help it right now, in my opinion. Dawn and Corey are great together, the set is slick, I don't mind the graphics compared to WGN, and the overall apparent investment in the station has really put them in an infinitely better place than they were even 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Rafer, Mark and George did the Friday night shows, so there's either a good reason (showing viewers the new team), or I do wonder if they're considering the Sun-Thu anchor schedule (I'm pretty sure) they tried in the 90s.

I have a feeling that the Sun-Thu is permanent. Tonight it’s Rafer,Sylvia, Mark and a blonde woman(sorry I don’t know her name).

They must be holding out hope for Darlene to come back, or they're at least not ready to say goodbye, as Roeper's bio is already gone, while hers is still online...though they haven't bothered to update anyone else's.

About Roeper.. He has an EXTREMELY busy schedule and life, and he barely sleeps. In addition to his movie reviewing and his column, he also constantly does interviews and various show and event appearances. He's traveling to LA/Vegas constantly. He's also a regular on Roe Conn's WGN-AM show, being on at least a couple times a week for most of or all of the show.. His condo is pretty much a "studio" for various things. He's also very big with living the "nightlife".. He's big in the poker world and he's always out at the bars. He normally doesn't turn in until after 2 or 3 am so he barely sleeps. Leaving GDC isn't really about pursuing other work.. He just needs a little break and some sleep during the day. Plus, you can really tell how tired his eyes look during GDC.

• Like 4

They must be holding out hope for Darlene to come back, or they're at least not ready to say goodbye, as Roeper's bio is already gone, while hers is still online...though they haven't bothered to update anyone else's.

They, like most other stations in town, do a horrible job when it comes to keeping staff bios up-to-date.

About Roeper.. He has an EXTREMELY busy schedule and life, and he barely sleeps. In addition to his movie reviewing and his column, he also constantly does interviews and various show and event appearances. He's traveling to LA/Vegas constantly. He's also a regular on Roe Conn's WGN-AM show, being on at least a couple times a week for most of or all of the show.. His condo is pretty much a "studio" for various things. He's also very big with living the "nightlife".. He's big in the poker world and he's always out at the bars. He normally doesn't turn in until after 2 or 3 am so he barely sleeps. Leaving GDC isn't really about pursuing other work.. He just needs a little break and some sleep during the day. Plus, you can really tell how tired his eyes look during GDC.

Not only that, there was a lot of overlap between him and Bill Z that it seemed Richard didn't really have a lot to do on most days. I think that it got to a point that it wasn't worth his and FOX 32 time to continue this relationship (if you will).

Not only that, there was a lot of overlap between him and Bill Z that it seemed Richard didn't really have a lot to do on most days. I think that it got to a point that it wasn't worth his and FOX 32 time to continue this relationship (if you will).

I never really understood having them both at the same time.. WBBM had them both too at the same time back during the pre-budget cut Ahern era; however, I believe Roeper only popped once a week on a newscast or 2 to review the week's movies while Zwecker was the daily entertainment reporter. Roeper is his own "brand". He doesn't need to be on a newscast daily. It seemed more like something that management just offered him a couple years back and he just said, "Sure, whatever, I'll do it."

The one I really don't care for on GDC is that Jake Hamilton. I just find him annoying as hell. He almost seems as if he really is hocked up on something. He's way too much especially on the earlier (4am-7am) hours of the show. He's just like that Marcus Leshock. He comes off as way too annoying and it appears way too obvious on WGN's morning news that the other morning personalities don't seem to care for him.

• Like 5

Honestly, it seems like they're testing people out by moving them around (I.e. Dawn and Corey Sunday through Thursday now; Sylvia and Rafer on Sat/Sun; Anita anchoring GDC, etc.). Which, I'm actually not complaining about. 32 taking its time to name permanent people demonstrates that they are trying/continuing to rebuild their product after years of chaos.

Just my thoughts.. (:

Honestly, it seems like they're testing people out by moving them around (I.e. Dawn and Corey Sunday through Thursday now; Sylvia and Rafer on Sat/Sun; Anita anchoring GDC, etc.). Which, I'm actually not complaining about. 32 taking its time to name permanent people demonstrates that they are trying/continuing to rebuild their product after years of chaos.

Just my thoughts.. :)

Conspiracy theory: GDC remains in transition for awhile in the off chance that Sinclair completely blows up WGN Morning News.

As for Sylvia not anchoring weekend mornings, that kind of makes sense. She's been anchoring at noon essentially every day with no Darlene around.

• Like 2