Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

I'm apparently one of the few people that actually likes Rafer, so I'll say good for him. That said, I'm curious as to what that means for Scott Schneider. I rarely saw, but I got the impression that he filled in on GDC during Corey's absence, and I'd imagine he's going to fill in for whichever one of the early morning Bobbsey twins is going on maternity leave soon. I thought he had the best chance to be named to weeknights, but not doing so tells me that they're either still debating internal candidates or looking elsewhere (which doesn't make sense since Weigel could've filled that qualification WITH name recognition).

I'm apparently one of the few people that actually likes Rafer, so I'll say good for him. That said, I'm curious as to what that means for Scott Schneider. I rarely saw, but I got the impression that he filled in on GDC during Corey's absence, and I'd imagine he's going to fill in for whichever one of the early morning Bobbsey twins is going on maternity leave soon. I thought he had the best chance to be named to weeknights, but not doing so tells me that they're either still debating internal candidates or looking elsewhere (which doesn't make sense since Weigel could've filled that qualification WITH name recognition).

Scott did filled in for Corey on GDC and may fill in for Kristen when she goes on leave in October. I want to say he has been reassigned to GDC given that Rafer is taking his spot on weekends, but who knows?? Rafer, Larry and Sylvia could help fill the void @ 5P & 9P until they find Jeff's successor (which could still be either Scott or Rafer). They may want to test things out before making a final decision between the two.

• Like 1

Could it be he'll be the new 9 pm weeknight anchor? Schneider meaning.

It's possible. Despite Corey being back, Scott remains on GDC (he was on today I believe), so it's unclear if he will stay there or take Jeff's spot. It's a key role that they have to fill for like the 4th time in 10 years, so I can understand them wanting to take some time to find the right person.

This is a tough one! Him and Dawn have really brought life back to the 9pm newscast after it having none for so long. They have a chemistry that makes watching easy. He has surely brought a ratings boost during a time that needed it. I hope Dawn lasts a long time. She's been a great person for the 9pm spot as well!

Corey McPherrin has been named to the 5 and 9pm newscasts. Fantastic move. According to the latest ratings, FOX32 only brings in two-thirds of the audience of WGN at 9, but is just a half a point behind in the demo.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/08/30/fox-32-promotes-corey-mcpherrin-top-news-anchor/

• Like 1

Smart Move I would have suggested him or Larry thank god their not stupid anymore but the ratings will stay steady with Larry now mabye they cant beat GN now that there being taken over by Sinclair long story shore when sh* t hits the fan at GN WFLD will have all their cards in order and I think they will beat WBBM if they start a 10pm FLD got the best set in the market a good group of reporters i think there good. IDC That WBBM got a new boring set Idk what there waiting on btw but if its not the KCBS one it just looks generic and there news product keeps slipping every time I watch them. WFLD NOW IS YOUR TIME TO GET OUT OF THE BASEMENT. Jeff was good btw I hate to see him go, but they now have a veteran on the desk to get the job done

• Like 1

First off..kudos to WFLD for being respectable to Jeff and waiting until after his last day before making this official announcement. Classy move. Secondly, Corey is a great choice given his experience at the station (and the market) plus it's a reunion of sorts given both him and Dawn worked together on GDC several years back.

I knew there was a more logical reason Scott unofficially (now officially) moved to GDC weeks ago other than filling in for Corey. I also figured Corey wasn't in the running for the job, but this is a pleasant surprise. After years of mistakes and/or missteps, some pretty solid decisions are being made.

• Like 1

Gameday Live, Gamenight Live, Inside the Bears and all Bears preseason games are produced and distributed by the Bears (via the Chicago Bears Network). Both WBBM and WMAQ are former TV partners of the Bears. WFLD outbid them both in 2008 and thus became 'the official home of the Chicago Bears.' In years past, they used a different part of the set/studio as the backdrop. This is the first time, I believe, they have ever used the main desk.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
It looks like Corey finally debuted as evening co-anchor tonight. He was off for a few weeks.

I think he was only off last week. Pretty sure he was on GDC/Midday news prior to that. Don't think they gave him a traditional send off/we'll miss you mention on Good Day (which is a bit of a surprise).

• Like 1

I think he was only off last week. Pretty sure he was on GDC/Midday news prior to that. Don't think they gave him a traditional send off/we'll miss you mention on Good Day (which is a bit of a surprise).

Well, it seemed like it, anyway. Haha

By the way, it appears that there have been some other talent moves. From what I've noticed (nothing officially announced), Kaitlin Cody has been bumped up to weekdays, appearing every day at noon for several weeks, while Mark Strehl has been pulling her original weekend evening slot. In addition, she takes over for Mike Caplan at 9am, when GDC changes tone and weather isn't on as often. That 9 o'clock hour is the ladies hour, fronted by Darlene, Natalie, Kristen, and Anita Padilla. I thought Anita was merely filling in on occasion, but she anchors with Scott from 6 to 8. Because of that move, Darlene anchors the noon news essentially every day. With Anita in-studio, there is a listing for a reporter on their website.

In case that was too convoluted...

4-6: Kristen & Natalie

6-8: Scott & Anita

8-9: Scott & Darlene

9-10: Darlene, Kristen, Natalie & Anita (who appeared in more of a news anchor role)

If anyone has either confirmation of or evidence against any of these changes, prove me right/wrong.

By the way, it appears that there have been some other talent moves. From what I've noticed (nothing officially announced), Kaitlin Cody has been bumped up to weekdays, appearing every day at noon for several weeks, while Mark Strehl has been pulling her original weekend evening slot. In addition, she takes over for Mike Caplan at 9am, when GDC changes tone and weather isn't on as often. That 9 o'clock hour is the ladies hour, fronted by Darlene, Natalie, Kristen, and Anita Padilla. I thought Anita was merely filling in on occasion, but she anchors with Scott from 6 to 8. Because of that move, Darlene anchors the noon news essentially every day. With Anita in-studio, there is a listing for a reporter on their website.

In case that was too convoluted...

4-6: Kristen & Natalie

6-8: Scott & Anita

8-9: Scott & Darlene

9-10: Darlene, Kristen, Natalie & Anita (who appeared in more of a news anchor role)

If anyone has either confirmation of or evidence against any of these changes, prove me right/wrong.

They like to (tend to) do different things without any sort of rhyme or reason (they don't like stability). I too have noticed these changes, but I wouldn't go as far as to say this is 'official'. Things could be completely different in the next few weeks/months ahead. Just never know with them.

• Like 1