Random WFLD thread

Spring Rubber

Its ashame WFLD has more interview/standup areas while on a tempopary set than WBBM has period

To me, it always seemed like WBBM's set and overall studio is really small compared to others, probably because I think they zoom in a little too far on their anchors sometimes.

On topic though, am I the only one who thinks this new WFLD set looks kind of retro/vintage from this picture? I'll save a full judgement for when we see the final set, but besides the futuristic-looking desk and the LEDs, it looks kind of "Fox & Friends-meets-70s/80s design."

In an interview, the station's ND discusses the steps being taken to return Fox 32 News to respectability, the new set (which could debut as soon as next week), and how the FNC crisis has impacted the newsroom. Also included is another peek at the new digs...

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2017/04/28/how-the-fox-wfld-channel-32-news-director-is.html

I'm interested in seeing the new set finished for the first time, and it's cool that they want to get the anchors outside on the plaza more often too! It's also understandable that the FNC crisis hasn't affected their own newsroom, and I wonder if they've considered if the association with Fox News could possibly have a negative effect due to some viewers maybe not recognizing the difference or just not wanting to watch because of the "Fox" in the name. Maybe they did and just figured it wouldn't be enough people mistaking "Good Day Chicago" for a "Fox & Friends" style show to really worry about losing any viewership (not like they would have been able to do much of anything about it anyway, as they're O&O).

A couple of 32 related items in todays Feder article:

It seems 32 is having its reporters engage in opinion driven and speculative click bait on stories using Facebook Live as a platform. FedEx is highly critical of this.

Secondly two new reporters are in:

Dakarai Turner, a former intern at the station is in as a General Assignment Reporter. He was most recently a Reporter with Scripps owned WMAR in Baltimore.

Michele Fiore is in on a freelance basis as a Reporter. She's currently working for All News 780 WBBM-AM and 105.9 WCFS-FM in Chicago. At one time she was at CLTV and her most recent TV gig was at Scripps owned WTMJ in Milwaukee.

It seems 32 is having its reporters engage in opinion driven and speculative click bait on stories using Facebook Live as a platform. FedEx is highly critical of this.

Oh dear, just what we need, taking a page from FNC I see? Reporters giving their personal opinion on serious ongoing events? Even if it's exclusive to Facebook Live, I could still see this causing a few issues despite the rise in clicks and views it generates. It sucks for Padilla, because she probably has no say in whether she does or doesn't do these, she's just trying to keep her job, and this could fall on her if something goes awry with it.

Oh dear, just what we need, taking a page from FNC I see? Reporters giving their personal opinion on serious ongoing events? Even if it's exclusive to Facebook Live, I could still see this causing a few issues despite the rise in clicks and views it generates. It sucks for Padilla, because she probably has no say in whether she does or doesn't do these, she's just trying to keep her job, and this could fall on her if something goes awry with it.

I don't think that there's anything wrong in engaging viewers through FB live, etc..., but you can't engage in hearsay, gossip and/or offer your personal opinion ever. My guess is that Anita used poor judgement in this case by being 'the average viewer' instead of playing the role as an objective moderator. You have to remember that the Internet (and social media platforms) haven't been around for decades, so there is still a lot everyone (including journalists) needs to learn when using this stuff. I'm happy with sticking to message/comment boards to be honest and not anything else.

I don't think that there's anything wrong in engaging viewers through FB live, etc..., but you can't engage in hearsay, gossip and/or offer your personal opinion ever. My guess is that Anita used poor judgement in this case by being 'the average viewer' instead of playing the role as an objective moderator. You have to remember that the Internet (and social media platforms) haven't been around for decades, so there is still a lot everyone (including journalists) needs to learn when using this stuff. I'm happy with sticking to message/comment boards to be honest.

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with connecting to viewers through social media, but I agree, and I still think this is a very thin line that they're walking due to the nature of the stories that this is being done with. They're better off doing this for things that don't involve murders or serious crimes or anything, save it for goofier stories or entertainment news.

• Like 5

Yes Mr ns8401...

There is no place for fast talking opinion from those weaselly news people. Now you say that Fedex is critical of this?

Well we at KBEX have an EXCLUSIVE reply from our cousins at Fedex re: this matter.

Yes Mr ns8401...

There is no place for fast talking opinion from those weaselly news people. Now you say that Fedex is critical of this?

Well we at KBEX have an EXCLUSIVE reply from our cousins at Fedex re: this matter.

:D Tell 'em I'll have an Immediate reply in the morning...

• Like 1

Historically in years past, it has always been the first Sunday in May. We shall see... with the game, anything is possible I suppose. Can't say I'm holding my breath though.

Saw a promo for the news during the game. Looks like it's still on the temporary set.

• Like 1

That is kinda dumb to debut it on the weekend with the lower ratings but we dont know what their ratings are on the weekend

Give them a fighting chance to work out the bugs and do a little training...that's why you start on a weekend.

After all, it's not like they have a great track record on this stuff.